Ok everybody heres my question, what are some good basic stuff that goes into a rack system for guitar?
Aside from a good power amp and pre amp, what are some essentials?
Power conditioner? Graphic eq? Effects?
Ive been playing for 30 years now always been a stompbox kinda guy but a rack system was something i always wanted to try.
I just got a Peavey Rockmaster preamp and a Mosvalve 962 poweramp to start.
Not looking to break the bank here but just some good gear to start off with.
Any opinions? thanks!
Can't go wrong with a good effects system. TC G major would be a good place to start if you can afford one. Could be a good idea to grab a 1u graphic EQ just so you can have a LPF and HPF on all the time to cut out all the nasties.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

I'd definitely recommend a line conditioner - Furman makes really good units. A rack rider is a really good, cheap conditioner. You'll need one if you play out at all, it really helps clean up any distortion from poorly wired venues and keeps your rack safe - I've never had any problems with mine.

Graphic EQs are nice, but not necessary. Most multieffects units have noise gates and EQs built in, so if you're going that route, I wouldn't bother. Line 6, TC electronics, and old Digitech 2101/20 units are pretty cheap, good multieffects that work well with a good preamp. It depends on what you want effects wise. And of course, if you do decide that you want to break the bank, you can't really beat any of the Axe Fx stuff.

But a lot of the fun of building a rack, to me, is swapping stuff until you find what you like. I personally really enjoyed a lot of Lexicon reverbs and delays and even found some old Eventide stuff online pretty cheap.

Controlling all of that through a midi board can be a bit difficult, which is why I ended up eventually settling on an old Digitech 2120 multieffects unit with its own control board before finally going all out for an Axe Fx. I'd also recommend any of the TC Electronics G stuff, too. It really depends on what you're looking for effects wise and how much control you need over them. But rack stuff always sounds much better than stomp boxes, in my opinion.
Thanks for the responses! We play pretty much everything and i mean EVERYTHING! 60's to today. Everything from U2 on up to Killswitch Engage and everything in between.
i would probably use my LINE6 POD XTLIVE for FX. i cant help but still loving to stomp on somethjing on the fly! lol
I have a BBE maximizer too. Gonna probably grab a conditioner next. Thats one of those things that you never give much thought to until something goes wrong and you wish you had it! ;^)
Graphic EQ's are a bit much though huh?
Every rack should have a Quadraverb.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by guitarboy33
I have the Quadraverb. Great unit. We use it for vocals

Stick your guitar through it, man. Get something else for the vocals. Screw the vocals, any old piece of crap will do for that - stick it in your guitar rack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
true true. Will give it a shot but truth be told i am NOT a fan of reverb. Maybe on some nice clean sounds but in general? Nah.
Now i know the Alesis has OTHER fx besides reverb, i still like my PODS fx's. Never actualy ran the guitar thru the Quadraveb yet but i will give it a try
The other effects in a Quaddy are great too, really nice chorus and delay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
People actually use reverb?

I always thought reverb was the room your playing in. You ever jam out in a car wash?

Epic.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
hahahaha a car wash! Nice. Reverb is good in some situations but ive just never been a fan of it. First thing i always did to a spring tank reverb amp was disconnect those damn springs! Lol although....when the amp gets kicked or falls over withe the spring tank attached? Ssssssswwwweeeeet sound! ;^)