Poll: What color pickguard would you put on a black fender bass?
Poll Options
View poll results: What color pickguard would you put on a black fender bass?
Black
16 59%
White
3 11%
Some other color
8 30%
Voters: 27.
So, let's say you have a classic Fender P bass, or Jazz bass, or anything of similar aesthetics. The body is black. What color pickguard would you put on it (pickguards with designs excluded, this only includes solid-colored pickguards).

I seem to be seeing white pickguards on this everywhere I go, but personally, I think a black pickguard looks pretty classy on a black Fender.

(Invalid img)

So, what would you guys pick, in this situation?
maple neck, black body and guard is an amazing combo.

Rosewood is nice with the all black but I'm a maple guy.

Tort of course works, as does mother of pearls in various colors.

Now, my bronco is black, with a maple neck and fretboard. I kept the white guard, then added black knobs and a black pickup. Similar to a Billy Corgan strat, I am also going to be giving it a match black head stock with "Bronco" in white font.

But yea an all black fender is a menacing creature.

Edit: Warmoth does an aged Pearl, that I am dying to put on a black or red bass P.
Last edited by askrere at Mar 19, 2012,
White on black = putrid. Simply awful. Insulting to the eyes. And there's an association with beginner instruments for that combination that I simply can't get past. I can just about deal with it on maple boards, with rosewood it's just the worst.

Black isn't a colour I'd ever go for myself. However, my preference with black is red tort easily. Black guards on black can look good with a maple board, though I'd still prefer a red tort, and with rosewood it's just got to be red tort.
Black with a maple board: black guard

Black with a rosewood board: tort guard
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Ziphoblat
And there's an association with beginner instruments for that combination that I simply can't get past.
I think that's a large part of my problem with them. A friend of mine has a black fender with a white pickguard, and I think I'm going to get him a different pickguard for his birthday, so he doesn't look like a noob.

I was thinking black originally, but does anyone know of anything a little more elaborate I could get for him? He has a Fender Squier P-bass.
Last edited by herby190 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by herby190
I think that's a large part of my problem with them. A friend of mine has a black fender with a white pickguard, and I think I'm going to get him a different pickguard for his birthday, so he doesn't look like a noob.

I was thinking black originally, but does anyone know of anything a little more elaborate I could get for him? He has a Fender Squier P-bass.

Red tort - do it.
Ohh that looks good. I've been considering repainting my Jazz bass black and it already has a red tort pickguard and a rosewood fingerboard.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Quote by Tostitos
Black with a maple board: black guard

Black with a rosewood board: tort guard

Can't agree more...

Also, the previously mentioned mirror guard is an option to consider, too.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I quite like all black, black with a white pick guard is a bit meh.

On a J-bass I love the look of no pick guard, especially in sunburst. It seems surprisingly uncommon apart from Jaco.

Anyway, Olympic white + maple fretboard master race.

See, I also thought black with white was cheap, but well my bronco just fits.

Also as I mentioned in the NBD rick thread, they have a solid white guard and look cheaper than a squier guard. WBW makes things look much better even if it's just a narrow little strip of black.

AND YES WHITE AND WHITE AND MAPLE, my mim tele is a nice creamy white with maple and a big white esquire style guard.

Black guards on white is kind of cool, that's what I had before I went esquire.
ANTIGUA!!!!

If you're not willing to be THAT cool... i agree something about a white pickguard is "cheap"... i DO love a Pearloid.

If not... when in doubt, throw some 'Tort on that b*****.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
There is only one correct answer here and it is this

Quote by Ziphoblat

Red tort - do it.

If you did not answer correctly you're either blind, stupid or both
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
It's red tort. I've got one on my 1990 MIJ Jazz. Black body, rosewood neck, red tort pickguard. Man oh man. That thing is beautiful. Seriously.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by Din of Win
ANTIGUA!!!!

On a Lake Placid Blue bass for a desert island look.
Warmoth makes a black pickguard with a black-red-black laminate that looks fantastic on a black bass. I plan to put one on one of my Jazz basses.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley