...I know that's a bit of an oxymoron, but can anyone recommend me some relatively straightforward technical death metal? Some of the older Decapitated stuff is quite fun to play, but that's about all i've found that doesn't require very advanced playing skills.

Thanks for anyone who can suggest some stuff.
Phobophile by Cryptopsy
fast picking, nothing super hand stretching.

sweeping for the solo forsure
Perhaps Demilich may be of interest to you?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

I don't think I've ever found a demilich tab that was actually right.
Okay, so, not stricly tech death, but here's some stuff worth checking out:

Integral Birth by Cynic (look them up, awesome death metal with some jazz etc in it!)
Incarnated by Obscura (another incredible band, pretty tough one though)
Crystal Mountain by Death (not tech, but I dare say 9/10 techdeath bands started out by playing Death).

I really recommend checking these three bands out, you might like them and most of their stuff is pretty doable. Death would be easiest, then Cynic (except the solos), then Obscura. Bottom line is, the more Death songs you can play, the better.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by k90728
Phobophile by Cryptopsy
fast picking, nothing super hand stretching.

sweeping for the solo forsure

Thanks, Cryptopsy didn't spring to mind but that's a pretty damn good call!

Quote by theogonia777

Not really aware of them but i'll be sure to check them out, so thank you. I do recognise the cover for their album 'Nesphite' but I only came across that the other day.

Quote by hoejer
old death?

I can play some stuff from Leprosy already but I suppose you can never learn too much Death!

Quote by LordPino
Okay, so, not stricly tech death, but here's some stuff worth checking out:

Integral Birth by Cynic (look them up, awesome death metal with some jazz etc in it!)
Incarnated by Obscura (another incredible band, pretty tough one though)
Crystal Mountain by Death (not tech, but I dare say 9/10 techdeath bands started out by playing Death).

I really recommend checking these three bands out, you might like them and most of their stuff is pretty doable. Death would be easiest, then Cynic (except the solos), then Obscura. Bottom line is, the more Death songs you can play, the better.

I'm a relatively seasoned fan of 80s and 90s death metal as well as a lot of modern stuff, but as far as technical death metal is concerned most of what i'm into is really hard to play: Spawn of Possession, Cattle Decapitation, The Faceless, Beneath the Massacre and Hour of Penance to name just a few. The problem is that all of this stuff is too tech for me at the moment, so I need some songs to learn to act as a stepping stone up to advanced stuff. The title track of Winds of Creation by Decapitated has proved to be quite useful and I can play most of the riffs in that song (to give you an idea of where I am with my playing). I'm afraid i've never been a Cynic fan. I'm not sure what it is about them, they just bore me a little I guess. Obscura are obviously a great band although again they're pretty crazy. I suppose some of their easier stuff might be worth a shot. As for Death, it's all about their early material as far as i'm concerned, but I suppose it won't do any harm to learn some stuff off the later albums.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and keep listening to death ****ing metal!