Soon Im going to be upgrading to a tubemeister 18 from H&K and I am having trouble finding a quality cabinet to go with it, mostly because I lack the experience with them. I play almost entirely classic rock from the 80s, a little from the 60s, and some occasional hard rock Ex: Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, GnR, Hendrix, the Doors, etc. My question is what cab would be good for some small gigs and home playing that will work well with my style and amp? I know ill be putting Celestion Greenbacks in it, FYI
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Budget? 112, 212, 410 or 412 (or 215? 415? )

Avatar and White Box are really good custom cabinet makers. They will put in whatever speakers you want, unless you have the Greenbacks already, in which case they'll make an unloaded cab for you.

If you've got money to spend, I'd look at Emperor, Port City, etc. If not, then Avatar, White Box, Jet City are pretty good options.

If you don't want a custom cab for some reason then I'd also look at Mesa, Splawn, Orange, Soldano, etc. for cabs. I believe Splawn offers customs as well, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i can't help regarding the cabs (except to say that, from all i've heard (no personal experience with those US makes) that raijouta is probably on the money), but i was just wondering what you meant when you say "80s classic rock", and how you decided on greenbacks?

Just out of interest, because I'm considering another cab with greenbacks (or clones/similar-type speakers) and i mainly play 80s rock and metal (hair metal, nwobhm etc.) with a bit of classic rock thrown in.

I'd also say, since you're in the USA, stuff like weber, scumbacks, WGS etc. might be worth a look, though i haven't tried any of them. Just I think celestion stuff in the US is meant to be pretty dear, and the cheaper celestions aren't even made in england any more (which doesn't mean they sound bad or anything, but i'd be a bit cautious about forking out a ton for them, too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Budget is under $700, sorry about that. I looked at Avatar, but I'm reluctant because of the no-return policy and I haven't ever and will not be able to try them. Another thing about the avatars is that I wouldn't know which to choose for Classic/Hard rock.

Also, what would be best for smaller venues and playing at home? 2x12 or 4x12 or whatever?
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
well a 2x12 is easier to transport and takes up less room. that being said a 4x12 might sound fuller. at the volumes i'm playing at i don't notice much difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12, but i'm only a home player, so probably take what i'm saying with a pinch of salt

also if you could check out my post above yours (i'm guessing you missed it as you posted so close to me), i'd appreciate it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, by '80s classic/hard rock I was refering to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, GnR, maybe a little sabbath...

Also, I chose the greenbacks because of past recommendations and reviews. I did some research and decided they would definitely do the trick.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
thanks. yeah that's what i'm thinking, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JoeFlips
Budget is under $700, sorry about that. I looked at Avatar, but I'm reluctant because of the no-return policy and I haven't ever and will not be able to try them. Another thing about the avatars is that I wouldn't know which to choose for Classic/Hard rock.

Also, what would be best for smaller venues and playing at home? 2x12 or 4x12 or whatever?

You're probably not going to be able to try any of the cabs I'd mentioned, but Avatars are really top-notch cabs. There's lots of people on these forums who have them. They hold their own against a lot of other cab makers for what you pay for one, but they're not as good as Mesa, and they certainly won't touch something like an Emperor or a Port City. There's a reason Avatar and White Box cost what they do.

You're likely not going to be able to return any of the cabs I'd mentioned either (except maybe Jet City, Mesa and Orange) since I was sort of counting on you being willing to look at used cabs as well. Most custom cabmakers don't take returns for the simple reason that no two people want the same cab most of the time.

For classic/hard rock you would probably want one of Avatar's vintage style cabs, and since you're choosing Greenbacks as your speaker, they'd put them in for you.

If you've got a strong back, and prefer the sound and access to your amp's settings, then I'd get a 4x12. Otherwise, a 2x12 will be more portable, lighter weight, and you're probably going to only mic one speaker at shows anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have an Avatar 4x12 Traditional. It's been through soooo much, been gigged with for YEARS.

Got it used for $100, fully loaded. Epic deal. Tolex is pretty much gone, I plan on getting some Rhino spray-on truck bed lining. Thats cooler than tolex anyways. Needs new grill cloth too.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 20, 2012,
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll be going with the 2x12 vintage Avatar.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals