I am currently looking to buy a new amp, and yesterday i spent a good amount of time playing the AC30vr which i actually liked. The only problem is that people keep telling me that hybrid amps aren't any better than solid state but still cost more. Also do you guys think it would be loud enough to play with a pretty loud band at practice?

I think it fits the tone im looking for pretty well (Similar to kasabian, the strokes, the vines, arctic monkeys, MGMT, the libertines) but im still open to suggestions! budget at this point is pretty limited (around $600).
Tone-wise, I'd go for the AC15c1 over the AC30vr, but that's because I love power tube overdrive. Tone is subjective, both will work fine with a band, but the ac15 will last you longer and will be easier to sell down the road.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAC15C1

$600 with an amp stand and a planet waves cable

Edit: also, the ac30vr might have 2 speakers, but the ac15's single speaker is better.
Last edited by &baconstrips at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by &baconstrips
Tone-wise, I'd go for the AC15c1 over the AC30vr, but that's because I love power tube overdrive. Tone is subjective, both will work fine with a band, but the ac15 will last you longer and will be easier to sell down the road.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAC15C1

$600 with an amp stand and a planet waves cable

Edit: also, the ac30vr might have 2 speakers, but the ac15's single speaker is better.

+1 Absolutely love the AC15c1.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
But the thing is with the ac15 you'll have less clean head room so it will probably distort faster.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I seriously want to try out the ac15 but just the idea of switching from a peavey 6505 combo thats 60 watts to a 15 watt amp seems kinda crazy!
Quote by kutless999
But the thing is with the ac15 you'll have less clean head room so it will probably distort faster.

Than an AC30VR????

The AC15 will slay a VR everywhere. It is the logical upgrade path apart from maybe an AC30.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Unless your band is exceedingly loud (which I can't see it being since you like stuff like mgmt, the strokes, etc.), or has a million people in it, 15W through a greenback should be loud enough to do a decent clean.

Edit: if both amps were running through the same speakers, the ac30 would be marginally louder when both are clean, but when overdriven, the ac15 would probably get louder.
Quote by &baconstrips
Unless your band is exceedingly loud (which I can't see it being since you like stuff like mgmt, the strokes, etc.), or has a million people in it, 15W through a greenback should be loud enough to do a decent clean.

Thanks! that was something i was worried about. were not necessarily as loud anymore as we used to be, but i could always just add a cabinet in the future if needed
Quote by Cathbard
Than an AC30VR????

The AC15 will slay a VR everywhere. It is the logical upgrade path apart from maybe an AC30.

Look, the ac30vr will be able to distort fast because the VR has dsp so you can control the amount of gain so it can stay clean at higher volumes. The ac15 on the other hand will not stay as clean and will therefor distort faster than the ac30vr.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Look, the ac30vr will be able to distort fast because the VR has dsp so you can control the amount of gain so it can stay clean at higher volumes. The ac15 on the other hand will not stay as clean and will therefor distort faster than the ac30vr.

I thought it was the gain knob which controlled the gain. I guess I can't control the gain on my analog amps :/

Differences in headroom are entirely due to rms clean wattage. Like I said, the ac30 will have more headroom, but the ac15 will probably get louder once you start overdriving the power amp. The ac15 is just an overall more solid amp. Better quality, easier resale, better speaker. It also allows you to use an external speaker along with the internal one, unlike the ac30vr. The difference between 15 and 30 watts is really minimal.

Edit: Every time I read that post it sounds dumber and makes less sense.
Quote by kutless999

He's talking about power amp distortion as you start turning it up. What has the DSP got to do with anything regarding headroom? A tube driver does not a tube power amp make, crank it up and it sounds shitty. Crank up an AC15 to get real power amp distortion and it sounds glorious.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification