Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking, what if african animals such as zebras, wildebeests, cape buffalo, gazelle, rhinos, lions ect. were released into another land like the American Prarie? Or put hippos or komodo dragons in the everglades or louisianna? I think it'd be pretty badass, what does everyone else think?
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
They don't live in those places for a reason. You have to think about the climate and the changes the animals go through to survive.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Andrea55
They don't live in those places for a reason. You have to think about the climate and the changes the animals go through to survive.

That is true, but they seem like they could survive. There is also this zoo by my house, it is nothing fancy but animals look fine in there. Theres even a couple chimps, giraffes and ostriches

Last edited by joestrat5000 at Mar 19, 2012,
Well, what would happen would be that they'd die.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Well, what would happen would be that they'd die.

I don't know, I would be amused watching lions feast on Calgarians.
What if we bred a kangaroo with a rhino!?

The offspring could live in either Aus or Africa!

Yeah..
We've survived before, we'll do it agian. Play up Pompey.
Quote by Sladey

The offspring could live in either Aus or Africa!

Yeah..

Genious, i've always wanted to be killed by a fast, high jumping rihno

Quote by joestrat5000
Genious, i've always wanted to be killed by a fast, high jumping rihno

You're welcome. I'll get the kangaroo sperm.
They would probably survive, and probably too well. The problem is that they have no natural enemies, if you import non-native species, you're screwing over the natural balance.
Australia has a huge problem with both bullfrogs and rabbits because of this, they breed in hoards, and there is no depredetation, so everything that eats what thsoe species eats is probably screwed.

Quote by Haures
There'd be hyrbids everywhere. EVOLUTION.

Breeding between species is extremely rare (and will if it is even possible produce infertile offspring), and has really nothing to with evolution. Breeding between classes is as far as we know impossible.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Last edited by Blargaha at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by Sladey
You're welcome. I'll get the kangaroo sperm.

I got some eggs, they could be from a rhino. Whatever is conceived, is concieved

Quote by joestrat5000
I've been thinking, what if african animals such as zebras, wildebeests, cape buffalo, gazelle, rhinos, lions ect. were released into another land like the American Prarie? Or put hippos or komodo dragons in the everglades or louisianna? I think it'd be pretty badass, what does everyone else think?

They'd probably affect other species that already live there, harming the whole ecosystem. The whole hybrid things sounds badass but highly unlikely.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by joestrat5000
I got some eggs, they could be from a rhino. Whatever is conceived, is concieved

If there was a Nobel Prize for biology, we'd storm it.

Maybe they'll name a prize after us. My idea => my name first.
Quote by Sladey
If there was a Nobel Prize for biology, we'd storm it.

Maybe they'll name a prize after us. My idea => my name first.

I'm TS, my name is first. This prize would not have happend if it wasn't for me.
And how would a couple of wildebeests affect surrounding bison, prarie dogs, coyotes, and some birds, ect.?

Quote by Sladey

I'm assuming something like this:

Quote by conor-figgy
I'm assuming something like this:

+1

Quote by Dirge Humani
i laughed at this more than i should have

Would completely **** up the food chain and most likely permanently affect the orderly function of the ecosystem.

Yeah, would be cool. Not so cool when the common animals we have here are annihilated by lions and rhinos and hippos.
Quote by metalblaster
Would completely **** up the food chain and most likely permanently affect the orderly function of the ecosystem.

Yeah, would be cool. Not so cool when the common animals we have here are annihilated by lions and rhinos and hippos.

I doubt they'd be annihilated by zebras and gazelle

Quote by joestrat5000
I doubt they'd be annihilated by zebras and gazelle

Don't they have hunting safaris like that down south? Like basically hundreds of acres lines with an impenetrable border and hunters going buckwild, saving them the cost of actually going to africa?
Quote by joestrat5000

And how would a couple of wildebeests affect surrounding bison, prarie dogs, coyotes, and some birds, ect.?

First it should be said that we can't know exactly what will happen, I suspect the Australians that brought in rabbits and bullfrogs could not forsee them being a problem at all. We here in Sweden have problems with minks and wild boar. The boars were here 200-300 years ago, they were hunted to extinction and brought in some 100 years ago, problem is, now the eco system had learned to live without them, so now they can strut around like they own the place.
Minks are let out by animal rights terrorists and they are wreaking havok on our native birds.

I could guess though that since they are big and strong, none of your native predators can take them down. It requires a pack hunter, of sufficient size, and sufficient strenght to take one down. Mountain lions are big and strong, but are solitary, wolves are pack hunters, but lack the physique. Therefore they could probably breed without any attrition pressing down the population. Bison and prarie dogs eat grass, the same as gnus, they however suffer depredation by your native predators.
It is no too far fetched to assume the gnus will steal their food, put simply. Therefore they starve, and of course predators above them will suffer, as there is less of their prey, and so forth.

It will not end well, is my guess.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Idk. I saw something on tv of a bunch of redecks going on a rampage hunting for squirrels and gators. They would probably enjoy an extra zebra coat

Quote by guitarxo
This would be pretty cool but suuuuuuuuuuuuuch a bad idea

It's happened numerous times in the Americas.

The foreign species either
A) Dies out because it is not fit for that environment or
B) Has no natural predator, superfit for the environment, and kills off everything else.

EDIT: For example the asian longhorned beetle (according to dumb adds i see everywhere) somehow found its way into Boston, and has been reaking havoc, destroying trees and other insects. Not that 'cool' I guess but thats all I can think off of the top of my head
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by joestrat5000
i laughed at this more than i should have

No, you laughed at that exactly as much as you should have.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
First it should be said that we can't know exactly what will happen, I suspect the Australians that brought in rabbits and bullfrogs could not forsee them being a problem at all. We here in Sweden have problems with minks and wild boar. The boars were here 200-300 years ago, they were hunted to extinction and brought in some 100 years ago, problem is, now the eco system had learned to live without them, so now they can strut around like they own the place.
Minks are let out by animal rights terrorists and they are wreaking havok on our native birds.

I could guess though that since they are big and strong, none of your native predators can take them down. It requires a pack hunter, of sufficient size, and sufficient strenght to take one down. Mountain lions are big and strong, but are solitary, wolves are pack hunters, but lack the physique. Therefore they could probably breed without any attrition pressing down the population. Bison and prarie dogs eat grass, the same as gnus, they however suffer depredation by your native predators.
It is no too far fetched to assume the gnus will steal their food, put simply. Therefore they starve, and of course predators above them will suffer, as there is less of their prey, and so forth.

It's happened numerous times in the Americas.

The foreign species either
A) Dies out because it is not fit for that environment or
B) Has no natural predator, superfit for the environment, and kills off everything else.

For example the asian longhorned beetle (according to dumb adds i see everywhere) somehow found its way into Boston, and has been reaking havoc, destroying trees and other insects. Not that 'cool' I guess but thats all I can think off of the top of my head

Very good points, but lets use a wildebeest as an example. They are herbivores, and although have a threatening appearence. Are not aggressive, and do not attack unless they feel greatly threatend. A savannah is similar to the plains, but with a bit less heat. However there are many grasses and shrubs to feed off of. And since most of the animals on praries are prarie dogs which burrow into the ground, and bison which resemble wildebeests, they would probably fit in just fine.

Quote by Blargaha

+infinity

It would be an incredibly bad idea.
Quote by vicarious46

EDIT: For example the asian longhorned beetle (according to dumb adds i see everywhere) somehow found its way into Boston, and has been reaking havoc, destroying trees and other insects. Not that 'cool' I guess but thats all I can think off of the top of my head

We have the issue of raccoons in Germany, brought in by the nazis because Hitler "wanted the third reich to have raccoons". They are a complete disaster, eating everything, destroying property, and since they have no natural enemies, breeding all over the place.

We also have raccoon dogs, an asian species that is highly invasive (we are starting to get problems with them along our eastern border, there is a standing order for hunters to shoot any encountered), they eat everything in their way and spread parasites.
It would entirely destroy the ecosystem of the location in which they were introduced, or the species would become extinct rapidly in that new environment. Unless there is a niche species cannot survive.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by joestrat5000
Idk. I saw something on tv of a bunch of redecks going on a rampage hunting for squirrels and gators. They would probably enjoy an extra zebra coat

Animal prints in general (such as zebra, leopard, cheetah, etc.) aren't too big in the redneck community.

To the other guy's raccoon problem, I could send a few rednecks your way to kill off a few and teach you how to trap them. It's really not that hard, and if they bother you that much, forget the traps and pull out the .22.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by joestrat5000
Very good points, but lets use a wildebeest as an example. They are herbivores, and although have a threatening appearence. Are not aggressive, and do not attack unless they feel greatly threatend. A savannah is similar to the plains, but with a bit less heat. However there are many grasses and shrubs to feed off of. And since most of the animals on praries are prarie dogs which burrow into the ground, and bison which resemble wildebeests, they would probably fit in just fine.

But with no natural predator would pose as competition to bison. If the wildeebeests were able to thrive, they could grow in numbers and I guess pose a threat to bison because they are living off the same food supply. Not that I could imagine a short supply of grass. But it's within reason, over an extended period of time or during a drought.

@Blargaha
Do the American thing to do: Run them over in the night
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46

@Blargaha
Do the American thing to do: Run them over in the night

But is it really worth going down to Germany to run over some raccoons?

I looked it up, and all of the raccoon population of Germany is not a problem, there are some small populations that are not very much of a hassle, there is a denser one though that are starting to get bothersome.
About 150 Japanese Snow Monkeys were introduced to live in Texas, and the population is up to like 500 or 600 IIRC. They just chill some dedicated reserve that set aside for them.
Quote by vicarious46
But with no natural predator would pose as competition to bison. If the wildeebeests were able to thrive, they could grow in numbers and I guess pose a threat to bison because they are living off the same food supply. Not that I could imagine a short supply of grass. But it's within reason, over an extended period of time or during a drought.

Did some research, bison are only restricted to living on nature reserves and such. The wildebeest would be on its own other than the usuall rabbits, mice and prarie doggs

Quote by Blargaha
But is it really worth going down to Germany to run over some raccoons?

I looked it up, and all of the raccoon population of Germany is not a problem, there are some small populations that are not very much of a hassle, there is a denser one though that are starting to get bothersome.

Oh I thought you lived in Germany at the time, didn't see your location

Raccoons can be pesty; in urban areas they often go through trash and attack cats, and sometimes small dogs, and if they bite or scratch you you're probably gonna have to go to the doctor and get a shitload of shots and such to make sure you don't get an infection or raebies (sp?)

EDIT: But you can't gurantee that the Wildebeests won't enter these preservations. Assuming that there is little to no human interaction (unlikely) other then the introduction of the species to the environment they could have the capabilities to enter Bison territory, and you can't really be sure of how the species will react to each other.

Basically it's a lot of speculation and assumption, but normally in practice when species are introduced to foreign habitats they have bad consequences.
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Last edited by vicarious46 at Mar 19, 2012,
Page 1 of 2