Poll Options
View poll results: Organ Donor?
Yes I am, or I will be
167 75%
No I am not, or I refuse to
57 25%
Voters: 224.
Page 1 of 7
Just curious, how many of you are an organ donor? If there were more people that weren't selfish with their organs when they're dead then people (like my fiance) would still be here...

If you don't mind, could you give your reasoning behind your decision?

Myth: If I agree to donate my organs, the hospital staff won't work as hard to save my life.
Fact: When you go to the hospital for treatment, doctors focus on saving your life — not somebody else's. You'll be seen by a doctor whose specialty most closely matches your particular emergency. The doctor in charge of your care has nothing to do with transplantation. Organ donation can only be considered after brain death has been declared by a physician

Myth: Maybe I won't really be dead when they sign my death certificate
Fact: Although it's a popular topic in the tabloids, in reality, people don't start to wiggle their toes after they're declared dead. In fact, people who have agreed to organ donation are given more tests (at no charge to their families) to determine that they're truly dead than are those who haven't agreed to organ donation. When the medical team has exhausted all possible lifesaving efforts and the patient is not responding, a physician will perform a series of tests (usually on multiple occasions) to determine if brain death has actually occurred. This is usually done by a neurosurgeon or neurologist in compliance with accepted medical practice and state law. Patients who are brain dead have no brain activity and cannot breathe on their own. Brain death is not coma. Brain death is death.

Myth: Organ donation is against my religion
Fact: All major organized religions approve of organ and tissue donation and consider it an act of charity.

Myth: I'm under age 18. I'm too young to make this decision.
Fact: That's true, in a legal sense. But your parents can authorize this decision. You can express to your parents your wish to donate, and your parents can give their consent knowing that it's what you wanted. Children, too, are in need of organ transplants, and they usually need organs smaller than those an adult can provide.

Myth: I'm too old to donate. Nobody would want my organs
Fact: There isn't a defined cutoff age for donating organs. Organs have been successfully transplanted from donors in their 70s and 80s. The decision to use your organs is based on strict medical criteria, not age.

Myth: I'm not in the best of health. Nobody would want my organs or tissues.
Fact: Very few medical conditions automatically disqualify you from donating organs. The decision to use an organ is based on strict medical criteria. It may turn out that certain organs are not suitable for transplantation, but other organs and tissues may be fine. Don't disqualify yourself prematurely.

Myth: An open-casket funeral isn't an option for people who have donated organs or tissues.
Fact: Donated organs are removed surgically, in a routine operation similar to gallbladder or appendix removal. Donation does not change the appearance of the body for the funeral service.

Myth: I'd like to donate one of my kidneys now, but I can't unless a family member is in need.
Fact: While that used to be the case, it isn't any longer. You can donate a kidney through certain transplant centers. If you decide to become a living donor you will undergo extensive questioning to ensure that you are aware of the risks, and that your decision to donate isn't based on financial gain. You will also undergo testing to determine if your kidneys are in good shape and whether you can live a healthy life with just one kidney.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 20, 2012,
I am. Poll coming?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I currently am not... Wasn't really paying attention when I got my license a few years back but I intend to and wish to

I'm actually looking forward to people's arguments against
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
No... I wasn't asked at the DMV, they just put no.

^ only argument against it I know of is the whole "They let you die first" thing...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Mar 19, 2012,
Yes, I'm donating my organ back to the local church.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I'm really curious to see the arguments against it as well, if your life is over then why not give the opportunity for someone else (and their family) extra time here? Not like you're gonna need your heart or lungs when you're chillin' in a box or blowing away in the wind.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Yes.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Skynyrd890
No... I wasn't asked at the DMV, they just put no.

^ only argument against it I know of is the whole "They let you die first" thing...

I thought it was 'they take them out before you're fully dead'? It seems like someone told me they try to get them before you're totally gone, I don't remember why or anything.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Flux'D
I'm really curious to see the arguments against it as well, if your life is over then why not give the opportunity for someone else (and their family) extra time here? Not like you're gonna need your heart or lungs when you're chillin' in a box or blowing away in the wind.

Like I said, some people are afraid they won't be saved if they can use the organs. I can't think of any other logical reason. Not that it's logical, but I guess it's a valid fear to have.

Quote by guitarmaniac88
I thought it was 'they take them out before you're fully dead'? It seems like someone told me they try to get them before you're totally gone, I don't remember why or anything.

I was always told that some would let you die to get the organs, but I guess it's basically the same thing. I doubt anyone would, but then again...
Quote by neidnarb11890
No, I am not.

Would you mind explaining why? I like to hear both sides of this
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Nope. its been stated above but if i get in some sort of accident and am in a coma, with a slight chance of recovery, i don't want some arsehole doctor telling my parents 'there's nothing i can do'. dont get me wrong i want to be, if i do die then i want someone to live but why is my life less important than someone else's just because it's easier to kill me and put my organ in a another person? it's easier for the hospital staff and one less vegetable and one more spare room, so because of the way doctors approach it, i say no.
Quote by moscaespañol
easily the most depressing thing i've seen today.

and i saw a kid drop his ice cream.
No I am not and I don't plan on being one after finding out how a deceased family members organs were used "scientifically". Sometimes peoples organs aren't transplanted to others, but rather used in military and scientific studies. (i.e Burying a bare corpse in different depths of gravel to see how long they take to fully decompose.)

Don't take my opinion the wrong way, I am totally for donating organs to others who need them. But for sneaky and unnessesary tests they don't tell you about, screw the government.

Condolences for your fiancé, it sounds truly tough.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by CoCoPoPz
Nope. its been stated above but if i get in some sort of accident and am in a coma, with a slight chance of recovery, i don't want some arsehole doctor telling my parents 'there's nothing i can do'. dont get me wrong i want to be, if i do die then i want someone to live but why is my life less important than someone else's just because it's easier to kill me and put my organ in a another person? it's easier for the hospital staff and one less vegetable and one more spare room, so because of the way doctors approach it, i say no.

Honestly this is as stupid and unfounded as the people who don't get their kids vaccinated because they think it causes autism.
No, I am not and don't desire to be. There have been a few people who have summed up my views pretty well.
honestly, i get the idea, its nice, you know?

its just, I, and by that i mean all of me, believe i want to be together, you know?

it just screws with me that when im gone some other person would cut me open and take some of me out that really does it for me. you know, because then it wouldnt be Me.

my body would then be 90/100 me. its sad hearing about your fiance though.
I donate my penis for girls' pleasure, does that count?

No, that's a lie.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I may update this with the story of my fiance, not sure yet.. still waiting to generate more views on the subject
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by RU Experienced?
Honestly this is as stupid and unfounded as the people who don't get their kids vaccinated because they think it causes autism.

im sorry but how? its stupid that my views are the truth? sorry to burst your bubble mate but its the world we live in, so stop trying to belittle others with nonsense that has no relative meaning towards the subject.
Quote by moscaespañol

Quote by Flux'D
I may update this with the story of my fiance, not sure yet.. still waiting to generate more views on the subject

I remember you posting about her in the firearms thread. Glad you're (still) doing well!

I also remember you posting about a certain 1873 that you said you would get pics of, and never did.

Quote by RU Experienced?

It isn't stupid at all. If you believe it to be true, it's basically a 50/50 on your survival of an accident with a low survival rate (since your organs are coming into the picture). Some folks want that extra piece of mind. It's all opinion.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by CoCoPoPz
im sorry but how? its stupid that my views are the truth? sorry to burst your bubble mate but its the world we live in, so stop trying to belittle others with nonsense that has no relative meaning towards the subject.

Do you have any credible source indicating that any difference in care occurs in the Western world between organ donor and non-donor patients?
Quote by Twist of fate
Imagine if you actually did, and without them you go to the afterlife as a lifeless shell zombie thing.

HOW WILL WE KNOW

You could drink as much alcohol as you wanted without damaging your kidney
Quote by RU Experienced?
Do you have any credible source indicating that any difference in care occurs in the Western world between organ donor and non-donor patients?

I know a few paramedics and LE who've said they've been told at some point in their career that if they're organ donors, they're lower priority. Whether or not they actually listened to it, I don't know. Credible? Enough for me. Enough reason for me not to be a donor? Probably not (I've got several years left on my license-.
Actually, I'm going to update the OP with a myth sheet...

I remember you posting about her in the firearms thread. Glad you're (still) doing well!

I also remember you posting about a certain 1873 that you said you would get pics of, and never did.
Haha, I'll get some pictures up when I actually dig into it. The screw holding the plate on is pretty tight and I don't wanna strip the fragile screw. I need to soak it in Kroil before I go any further on it
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by 'Leviathan'
No, I am not and don't desire to be. There have been a few people who have summed up my views pretty well.

Such as what? There is no good argument for not being an organ donor. all the arguments people put forth are either made up nonesense or things that don't hold up under scrutiny, such as idiotic beliefs about the afterlife.

And yeah, i'm being harsh about it but i should be, people are dying right now because of people making stupid decisions like this. It costs you nothing at all to be a donor and is the easiest way to save multiple lives.
Quote by Flux'D
Actually, I'm going to update the OP with a myth sheet...

Haha, I'll get some pictures up when I actually dig into it. The screw holding the plate on is pretty tight and I don't wanna strip the fragile screw. I need to soak it in Kroil before I go any further on it

Good man...

And I ruined many screws before I learned about Kroil. lol
Quote by RU Experienced?

like any hospital or doctor would admit it, but if your a donor in critical condition then anyone who has had the speech will tell you that a doctor will convince you that their 'time is up' and persuade your loved ones to pull the plug in order for the kid across the street to get a new liver or kidney, there is no equal treatment, if your a donor in a bad accident, say goodbye pal, because the doctors dont see your tiny chance of survival albeit still a chance of survival over a quick and easy transplant to save someone elses life.
Quote by moscaespañol

Quote by CoCoPoPz
like any hospital or doctor would admit it, but if your a donor in critical condition then anyone who has had the speech will tell you that a doctor will convince you that their 'time is up' and persuade your loved ones to pull the plug in order for the kid across the street to get a new liver or kidney, there is no equal treatment, if your a donor in a bad accident, say goodbye pal, because the doctors dont see your tiny chance of survival albeit still a chance of survival over a quick and easy transplant to save someone elses life.

You're assuming every doctor is a utilitarian?
Quote by Zoot Allures
Such as what? There is no good argument for not being an organ donor. all the arguments people put forth are either made up nonesense or things that don't hold up under scrutiny, such as idiotic beliefs about the afterlife.

And yeah, i'm being harsh about it but i should be, people are dying right now because of people making stupid decisions like this. It costs you nothing at all to be a donor and is the easiest way to save multiple lives.

it may cost you nothing but if your in an accident with little chance of survival your life is over, as opposed to not being a donor and still having that chance to survive.
Quote by moscaespañol

Quote by CoCoPoPz

So no then.

That's what I thought.