Hey guys. I need some advice on buying a guitar. I haven't kept up with what constitutes as good hardware. I don't know if any of these are good. Please let me know if these are good and what prices I should offer to the seller. I'd like to get one for under $600. The genres of music I play are varied and I would like to get one optimal for practicing guitar solos since that is what I'm focusing on right now.

Used:

1. Gibson SG -
Price: $600 or best offer

2. Ibanez SZ720
Price: 340 or best offer

New:

1. Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall

2. Ibanez RG370DX

Please feel free to suggest guitars that sound good and are ergonomic for guitar solos. The selection I have above goes to show I have no idea what to do and I would like to know your opinions. Thanks you.

Last edited by thefirestarter at Mar 19, 2012,
Definitely go with the sg. It is known for its fast neck which is perfect for solos. Also Ibanez guitars are not known for their versatility and in my opinion should only be played if you plan only to play with a metal style guitar tone. If that is the then go with whatever Ibanez feels the best in your hands and can get you the best tone to your ears. The epiphone les paul is nice but the gibson is made with better wood and electronics so if it comes down to those two go with the sg. My biggest suggestion is to go to a guitar shop and play every one of these guitars on different amps and see which one you think sounds the best because your the one that is playing it and you need to be happy with your purchase.
Quote by DonGoontrain
Definitely go with the sg. It is known for its fast neck which is perfect for solos. Also Ibanez guitars are not known for their versatility and in my opinion should only be played if you plan only to play with a metal style guitar tone. If that is the then go with whatever Ibanez feels the best in your hands and can get you the best tone to your ears. The epiphone les paul is nice but the gibson is made with better wood and electronics so if it comes down to those two go with the sg. My biggest suggestion is to go to a guitar shop and play every one of these guitars on different amps and see which one you think sounds the best because your the one that is playing it and you need to be happy with your purchase.

Thanks for the info. Can you or anyone else comment on this particular guitar?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2909727156.html

Is this authentic? Why is the finish like that? Is this a good buy?
Last edited by thefirestarter at Mar 20, 2012,
Well you have two totally different necks. Which one do you like more?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Basically it's between an all out metal/shred machine (the ibanez) and a great all rounder (the SG). Really thin necks are pretty much standard on ibanez and unless your hands are unlike all my friends,chords will
be a bitch. Still laughing at this dude who bought an ibanez with a 20mm neck
Still,you might like them. However the SG will sound better (better stock pickups) and the neck is more likely to be comfortable. What I'm not suggesting is you buy a guitar over the net because of my recommendations. However I would buy second hand,just so you get more bang for your buck. Copies aren't pure evil,they're cheap and can get great tone with little expense if you can modify them. Try them out is the key. Usually,you can try the guitar on eBay if you go to their place. As for guitar shops of course you can and should try them out. Try every single one out,it's fun . But bring your own amp,don't fall for the amps tone,fall for the guitars tone. And broaden your horizons,there are loads of makers
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Mar 20, 2012,
I like the original Wizard more than the Wizard II
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by thefirestarter
Thanks for the info. Can you or anyone else comment on this particular guitar?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2909727156.html

Is this authentic? Why is the finish like that? Is this a good buy?

Looks like it is probably one of the Faded SG's with a pickup swap. I have one and love it, but quality control is shotty on these sometimes. The Faded series is pretty much the SG standard without the binding/inlays/finish, great players guitar. Some people don't like the feel of the unfinished neck, so you really have to play it to make sure it's right for you.

Also, If it is one of the faded SG's, it won't be worth 600 bucks... Try to negotiate him down.
Quote by DonGoontrain
D(Invalid img)efinitely go with the sg. It is known for its fast neck which is perfect for solos. Also Ibanez guitars are not known for their versatility and in my opinion should only be played if you plan only to play with a metal style guitar tone. If that is the then go with whatever Ibanez feels the best in your hands and can get you the best tone to your ears. The epiphone les paul is nice but the gibson is made with better wood and electronics so if it comes down to those two go with the sg. My biggest suggestion is to go to a guitar shop and play every one of these guitars on different amps and see which one you think sounds the best because your the one that is playing it and you need to be happy with your purchase.

The epiphone les paul is nice but the gibson is made with better wood and electronics so if it comes down to those two go with the sg.
That SG had been ruined by whatever crazy dude put SD Blackouts in it. Regardless, it is still the best option.
Thanks for the info guys.

Quote by falcon1439
Basically it's between an all out metal/shred machine (the ibanez) and a great all rounder (the SG). Really thin necks are pretty much standard on ibanez and unless your hands are unlike all my friends,chords will
be a bitch. Still laughing at this dude who bought an ibanez with a 20mm neck
Still,you might like them. However the SG will sound better (better stock pickups) and the neck is more likely to be comfortable. What I'm not suggesting is you buy a guitar over the net because of my recommendations. However I would buy second hand,just so you get more bang for your buck. Copies aren't pure evil,they're cheap and can get great tone with little expense if you can modify them. Try them out is the key. Usually,you can try the guitar on eBay if you go to their place. As for guitar shops of course you can and should try them out. Try every single one out,it's fun . But bring your own amp,don't fall for the amps tone,fall for the guitars tone. And broaden your horizons,there are loads of makers

I see. I'll look for more second hand guitars. I'm worried about your comment about copies. I've been using Ibanez guitars all these years and I don't want my first Gibson to be a copy. Do you think this is a copy?

Quote by zl1288
Looks like it is probably one of the Faded SG's with a pickup swap. I have one and love it, but quality control is shotty on these sometimes. The Faded series is pretty much the SG standard without the binding/inlays/finish, great players guitar. Some people don't like the feel of the unfinished neck, so you really have to play it to make sure it's right for you.

Also, If it is one of the faded SG's, it won't be worth 600 bucks... Try to negotiate him down.

The guy's willing to let it go for $400. Does that make it a worthwhile buy? Also, are the pickups that he placed in the guitar better than stock? Could you give me more details on the quality control issues of the Faded SG's?

Quote by AgentOrange...
That SG had been ruined by whatever crazy dude put SD Blackouts in it. Regardless, it is still the best option.

What do you mean by ruined? Are the SD pickups on the Faded SG worse than stock or is replacing the pickups a travesty?
Last edited by thefirestarter at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by lucky1978
At $400,I'd buy it. Maybe sell the pups

Sell the pickups? What do I replace them with?
Quote by zl1288

Yea, talk him down. It's already not worth it because it's a faded SG, but it's worth even less because it's not stock. A guitar loses it's value if it's not stock, even if the owner paid more for new pickups.
Quote by thefirestarter

What do you mean by ruined? Are the SD pickups on the Faded SG worse than stock or is replacing the pickups a travesty?

Not exactly ruined, not exactly worse. Just different. I mean the blackouts give a thick, punchy, distorted sound and are used for high-gain. Mainly metal players use these pickups.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Yea, talk him down. It's already not worth it because it's a faded SG, but it's worth even less because it's not stock. A guitar loses it's value if it's not stock, even if the owner paid more for new pickups.

He's ok with selling it for $400. I checked amazon and it costs 699. Does that make it a sure buy or would you still be on the fence about this? Unfortunately, he doesn't have any paperwork (warranty card, etc). I'm worried. I researched faked gibson sg's and the tell-tale signs aren't there. (2 screws instead of 3)

Ad here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2909727156.html

Does asking for the serial number (if there's any) help? I've seen other colors but I can't find this "dark wood" version online.

Please feel free to leave suggestion for other makes/models. Thanks guys.
The faded series is pretty sweet, I like mine. 400 is a good price, and I would go for it. The blackouts are an odd choice for that guitar, but not at all bad pickups. As has been said, they are more of a metal pickup, but if you are playing rock you will probably like them. As far as QC, a range of things have been reported, everything from roughly finished wood the the neck splitting at the headstock (this has been reported on much more expensive gibson guitars as well, for some reason gibson necks are the weakest link of their guitars.) Ask the seller how long he has had it, if there are any issues with the finish, or any issues he has had with it. Ask him for pictures of the back of the neck, if the neck has been repaired, you should be able to see a split in the wood. I like my faded, but my neck did develop a crack, and gibson wanted to charge 600 dollars to fix it. Needless to say, I fixed it myself.

Edit: the pictures just showed up for me, it looks like it is in pretty good shape.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the info guys. It's really helpful. One last question. I got the serial number and plugged it into the decoder.

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
October 16th, 2006
Production Number: 274

Is this still an ok buy? (I'm really sorry for the questions. I just need that one final push.)
^Yes.

If you don't like the pickups in it you could sell it and get a nice used set for ~ the same price you sell the blackouts.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
buy the freakin guitar dude!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by thefirestarter
(I'm really sorry for the questions. I just need that one final push.)

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?