Page 1 of 3
So I'm hoping to start some sort of metal band in the near future. I love thrash, the classics, mostly anything except black metal and most death metal (there are a few exceptions here). The thing is.. I don't want to just join the metal of today or copy something from the past as much as I love it. But what else is there? What is the next step for metal? Mixing it with jazz or something? I know a couple of guitarists have done it but it isn't large scale yet. I feel like its all been done. What do you guys think?
I can't imagine there being much left for Metal. I'm sure there will be great albums to come, but as for a musical movement I highly doubt it.

Plenty of Progressive Metal bands have attempted to fuse Jazz and Metal and some have come out pretty nice such as Atheist and Cynic.
I'd like to be a little more optimistic about it. Like groove metal.. who could have predicted that? It makes sense now but at the time that sound was not something I think people were expecting.
Something new will always come up,something allong the lines of incredibly intricate structure, more instruments(think 9-10 parts going at once) the horrific dissonance we are already seeing with bands like Portal, mixed with electronic and noise elements. I don't see Metal going anywhere genuinely new, unless it finds something that makes death and black metal seem less extreme, abrasiveness and pushing boundaries is where the genre shines.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Zero Substance
you seem a little confused, jason.

I've never heard that one before on here. Good fresh material you got there.
i dont think you can make a next step like "yeah let's mix it with bossa nova", i think if it'll come, it'll come unpredicted like all the other ones
mainstream metal will continue to go through shitty trends and disgust us, underground metal will continue to evolve and change like it always does.

/thread
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Jasonconfused
Or at least something that sounds fresh. Anyone here listen to Volbeat? I saw them live on Gigantour last month and I loved their versatility. Let's just say they played everything from Johnny Cash to Slayer. Literally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7aM32Jur8

Check em out.

How is that fresh though? Taking a bunch of styles already well explored and having different sections of each, without proper integration is just poor song writing.

A+B+C does not equal d.

Rome covered it basically.
Quote by Steve08

If this negative attitude is representative of the majority then I don't doubt that there's nothing left for metal.
yeah guys, metal has never been about anything even remotely close to negative attitude!

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
yeah guys, metal has never been about anything even remotely close to negative attitude!

The negative attitude was towards society and authority. Not the music. The music was all they had.
^ What happens when the music becomes reflective of society?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Sabbath tried to separate themselves from flower-power hippie bands, Norwegian black metal bands tried to become the opposite of the commercial death and thrash metal they hated, this concept repeats itself many times in metal's history

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
Sabbath tried to separate themselves from flower-power hippie bands, Norwegian black metal bands tried to become the opposite of the commercial death and thrash metal they hated, this concept repeats itself many times in metal's history

So what's to stop it from happening again?
....are you thick? you are the one who's saying they didn't have a negative attitude towards music.

Sumdeus
Right. And then you made a statement that I'm being respectful enough to acknowledge and learn from. And then I followed that with a question. Do I need to hold your hand through this conversation?
We have been saying that their will be progress in metal, but that the mall metal stuff will always recycle old trends within the underground and package it for a wider audience. My point was that adding a bunch of already established sounds end on end together to form songs does'nt constitute a new style, rather you need something that integrates other things into a new whole.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Jasonconfused
Or at least something that sounds fresh. Anyone here listen to Volbeat? I saw them live on Gigantour last month and I loved their versatility. Let's just say they played everything from Johnny Cash to Slayer. Literally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7aM32Jur8

Check em out.

Zeus grab me... why is it that people keep insisting that this band is unique? "It's like... ELVIS METAL!". No it's not. Stop it. Now.

I'm also Danish so I (am/)might be biased. They are being praised beyond belief here.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Engram without percussion is the next step. Imagine a soundscape akin to the early Eno and Fripp outputs, but with Beherit esque melodic structure.

If metal wants to move forward, we need a resurgence of Romantic ideals reflected in the music to distill and concentrate the outputs.

There is also a need to separate from the pop and useless trends that are surfacing, such as djent, death core, and tech deff. The rejection of the pop music with a "metal " veneer needs to be exposed as the trash it is.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I think percussion still has more room to expand in metal personally, the role of the percussion has to move away from the syncopated style beats being the backbone of the music. The good metal is already distinct from the pop stuff though.
Quote by Steve08

I would rather see a move away from percussion as the backbone and push for a more sonata like form of organization.

Hell imagine if musicians utilized Mozart's "melody switches " between instruments. Might need to expand the repertoire of viable instruments though. Maybe like Summoning without all the tribal beats and more varied layers?

And despite what you say about the trash being separate, you and I both know that there will be an influx of mongos posting about the new Meshuggah album. Demoncy and Impiety have releases, but next to no buzz is anywhere to be found. At least, in comparison.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I think a lot of what metal has always been is perfecting existing concepts or taking vaguely different looks at already existing concepts.

Hardcore has far more innovation than metal simply because what is "metal" is very limited. Not saying Hardcore is better don't get me wrong.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by progbass

And despite what you say about the trash being separate, you and I both know that there will be an influx of mongos posting about the new Meshuggah album. Demoncy and Impiety have releases, but next to no buzz is anywhere to be found. At least, in comparison.

I don't think Meshuggah is the right band to drag in here. They have an established name and sound and are not the kind of band you should expect to be breaking new ground (cause they already did).
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by ChemicalFire

Hardcore has far more innovation than metal simply because what is "metal" is very limited. Not saying Hardcore is better don't get me wrong.

I would like to see proof of this
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by Jasonconfused
What do you guys think?

I think it's utter shit that there has to be only one progression.
I might get bitch slapped for this one but how about a band like Tenacious D? Maybe not the most serious band but there aren't too many bands that sound like them.
Quote by Jasonconfused
I might get bitch slapped for this one but how about a band like Tenacious D? Maybe not the most serious band but there aren't too many bands that sound like them.

Are you serious? Tenacious D are a joke band made two overweight Dio fanatics and praised by other overweight Dio fanatics.

Sounding different is all fine and dandy; but if the core of your music takes a lot from other styles and genres then it's not new, is it? It's like....like....The U.S. of music! Hodge Podge of random shit with no definitive sense of character or focus.
I'm starting to get sick of this forum. Everyone here are metal snobs and they don't actually love the music. You all get caught up in your technicalities.
Quote by Jasonconfused
I'm starting to get sick of this forum. Everyone here are metal snobs and they don't actually love the music. You all get caught up in your technicalities.

They love the music, dude, you're just not listening to the same music as them and they hate yours.
Quote by progbass
There is also a need to separate from the pop and useless trends that are surfacing, such as djent, death core, and tech deff. The rejection of the pop music with a "metal " veneer needs to be exposed as the trash it is.

Exposed as trash to who? You're the only ones that think it's trash and you're clearly a minority.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Mar 20, 2012,
Then clearly I'm in the wrong place. The only progression I see for music here is taking black metal, possibly making it sound a little more progressive, and then complaining about how music has gone to shit.
Quote by Jasonconfused

We do love the music. Just so happens we don't love the same music as you.

You even stated you knew your last post was a bad one at the start of it...

Quote by Jasonconfused
Then clearly I'm in the wrong place. The only progression I see for music here is taking black metal, possibly making it sound a little more progressive, and then complaining about how music has gone to shit.

The hell is that even meant to mean?

If you're gonna be a little bitch about it when people don't agree with you then maybe you should get off the internet. We try and be slightly more adult around here. Sure people are blunt and rude, but normally they have something to back up their ideas with... even if you don't agree with them.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by Jasonconfused

You're quite confused, Jason.
Quote by Jasonconfused

What? You got offended by this thread? Weak.

You can like those bands you mentioned, but you shouldn't act like they're the only way for Metal to progress, and you need to back up what you say better. Today, I've listened to Trivium, Times Of Grace, and Voltaire. 3 acts that this forum pretty much hates, but that doesn't mean I should go crying about it.

In short: Suck it up.
Page 1 of 3