So I got my Carvin custom 2x10 and a new amp among other new and fixed goodies. I won't do a new rig day until I get in another trip to home depot for some parts and paint, and an online photo account.

Now the carvin offers a speakon or 1/4" jack input, and I have a speakon-1/4" cable currently for my MB200.

Would the expensive purchase of a speakon-speakon cable make a difference and how?

Also I've read casters on a cab raise it off the floor (duh) and as such cut bass frequencies. Is that true? I'm not terribly worried but very curious, do to the general idea of lifting combos/cabs up or tilting them for better projection, but if that would be a double edged sword for bass where it's adding more projection at a loss of the low end you wish to project.

Edit: The casters are for the second cab in my setup, not the 2x10, I can lift some things
Last edited by askrere at Mar 20, 2012,
I haven't A/B tested them but speakon is all advantages. I don't know if it would be worth the money to you though.
And you don't lose very much low end with casters, you're gonna have a little more rumble with more contact with the flow but it's really worth it to have casters.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I haven't A/B tested them but speakon is all advantages. I don't know if it would be worth the money to you though.
And you don't lose very much low end with casters, you're gonna have a little more rumble with more contact with the flow but it's really worth it to have casters.

Yea, I'd make the purchase if it made a good tone change (haha) or of course added protection to my gear and/or me.

Casters are very worth it on this particular cab.
I didn't notice a difference when I put my Basic 50 on casters. it was one of the better purchases I've made, that's a heavy amp
Quote by askrere
Yea, I'd make the purchase if it made a good tone change (haha) or of course added protection to my gear and/or me.

Casters are very worth it on this particular cab.

Speakon eliminates the (albeit small) risk of serious electrical damage to your amp when the lead is unplugged. It also won't come loose all the time or have a risk of falling out during a gig. You won't hear a difference; the benefits are all practical, but they're definitely worthwhile. It's a negligible amount of money in the context of a rig, and Speakon is so much more sophisticated.
Most of the Ampeg combos and cabs I've played through were on casters, and I never noticed a difference in sound in the lower ranges.

And I use Speakon cables for the reasons everyone has stated above.