I know this question has come up before, but I'd like to ask for some advice on where to start with multi-string tapping. I can perfectly fine on one string, or in between the ascending and descending of a sweep, but I seem to have issues with tapping on more than one string at a time.

If you're not sure what I mean, I will go into detail in this paragraph. I can tap on one string, but I can't move to another during that same tapping lick-- I can but during the transition it just sounds like ass. It's not because I don't know where to play, but it's because I don't know how to transition. Another area this problem occurs is during sweep tapping. I can, as stated before tap between the ascending and descending of a sweep, but I can't tap once on the high E string, and once on the G and B string as well during a sweep. All-in-all, most of my tapping takes place on the high-e string due to my limited ability to transition smoothly from one string to another. I also seem to have a problem when I land my tapping finger to play the first note on an untouched string, I get a slightly flat/sharp note.

Video examples
(I can do sweep tapping like this, just fine.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIJWshLxuBY

(Cannot do)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VPQPsvgtT_8#t=256s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PG2804ggsI0#t=40s

Is there anything one would recommend practicing to get the hang of doing such tapping? Because I'm not getting anywhere trying to practice this, right now.

Also, before this comes up-- I know the only 'key' is to practice, but I'd really appreciate someone that doesn't have an issue with this to recommend something (like a small lick) to practice so I can get the hang of this. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by pdxhwa at Mar 20, 2012,
Im not much of a pro, nor did i watch the video links, but Roses for the Dead, by Fueral for a Friend has a pretty catchy/easyish multi string tapping intro/verse.
I kind of skimmed through, but my biggest question is, how long have you been playing?
I'm kind of guessing by the way you've worded things and just by a hunch i have that you've only been playing between 2-4years?

If that's the case you shouldn't be learning multistring tapping / 8 finger taps in my opinion.

However i more than likely could be totally wrong, but i think it'd be really helpful to know how long you've been playing guitar.
I'm on these forums every day and there are A LOT of people who try to tackle techniques way beyond their ability, so i find it's always good to know how long they've been playing before i can make a legitimate answer.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by vayne92
I kind of skimmed through, but my biggest question is, how long have you been playing?
I'm kind of guessing by the way you've worded things and just by a hunch i have that you've only been playing between 2-4years?

If that's the case you shouldn't be learning multistring tapping / 8 finger taps in my opinion.

However i more than likely could be totally wrong, but i think it'd be really helpful to know how long you've been playing guitar.
I'm on these forums every day and there are A LOT of people who try to tackle techniques way beyond their ability, so i find it's always good to know how long they've been playing before i can make a legitimate answer.

Time played means absolutely nothing, it's all about how long you practice each day. I learned these techniques around the 3 year mark, and as I practiced them correctly, I can now play stuff like Symphony X, because I would practice it for hours on end. I'd recommend trying some more basic multi-string tapping. I practiced Serpent's Kiss by Symphony X to start with, and played it very slowly and built up the speed, you only learn new techniques by trying them and practicing them correctly.
Protest the Hero's latest album, Scurrilous, is loaded with tapping. The songs Hair-Trigger, Tandem, Moonlight, Tapestry, The Reign of Unending Terror, and Tongue Splitter are filled to the brim with challenging (albeit less so than Sea of Lies), so they can be a good introduction to tapping over several strings.

While you're practicing on easier songs, get a tab for something ludicrously difficult (Sea of Lies or Steve Vai's Building the Church) and start learning them at very low tempos. That way you'll have an idea of how you're progressing even on something that's monstrously challenging.
In what way does the transition sound like ass exactly?

I would guess your left hand is clamped onto the strings (ie, you need better finger independence - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ ) and that you don't have correct string muting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc .

You need to figure out how to make the transition as well, usually this involves a hammer-on-from-nowhere with the left index finger, which takes a lot of co-ordination and strength to get right. For this reason it's probably easier to practice lines where new strings are started by the tapping hand, not the fretting hand.