Let's talk about using your overdrive pedal...

When most people use their Overdrive pedals, they are trying to push the input of their amp a bit harder into distortion...

That is the way I thought I was using mine... but

Normally I have been just setting up my overdrives to have the same volume when engaged, as my clean signal.

So in that respect, I really am just using them for different EQ'ing and some added gain.

But I ask, if I have been a 'unity-gain' guy, have I been really pushing my amp's input any harder?

To officially be pushing the amp's input harder, don't we have to set up a decent volume increase too, or could the overdrives gain setting alone, be considered to be pushing the amp harder, if your amps overall volume was the same?

So how do you set your Overdrives, and are you a unty-gain man?
It's not unity if you're distorting the signal, is it? I'm not sure.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Sure it can be if all you are referring to with unity is voltage level. And no you aren't pushing your amp harder at all. Any extra distortion you are hearing is SS clipping in the pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta
It's not unity if you're distorting the signal, is it? I'm not sure.

I can distort the signal with a pedals gain setting alone, then I have been dialing the volume back to my clean signals volume.

I am thinking maybe with OD's, better to leave them louder than your clean...
What you really need is a Klon.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Cathbard
Sure it can be if all you are referring to with unity is voltage level. And no you aren't pushing your amp harder at all. Any extra distortion you are hearing is SS clipping in the pedal.

That's what I was thinking... So guys that officially use their OD's to 'push their amps input a tad harder', MUST also set their pedals up for a volume increase too...

No way around that...
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
That's what I was thinking... So guys that officially use their OD's to 'push their amps input a tad harder', MUST also set their pedals up for a volume increase too...

No way around that...

Correct. But if you are clever like me you have a programmable master volume in the loop that changes automatically with the different boosts out front.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification