Hi all,

It's a while since I checked in here, and I'm looking for some advice from you experienced guitarists as I'm at a loss here, I recently bought the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I just can't justify the Gibson Les Paul, unless I win the lottery, anyhow my question is, this Epi LP STD is terrible, no tone, it's like listening to a speaker cab that's had the speaker cone kicked in, in fact I have a Strat cheap copy that sounds better, have I got a dud or is this typical of Epiphone, do I need to spend a lot more dollars to get it sounding anywhere near a Gibson LP, any advice appreciated, but please don't say I should have bought the Gibson LP in the first place to get the Tone I'm looking for, I know tone is an individual thing, and I have put this Epi LP thru overdrive pedals but no go, my cheap strat holds great sustain on O/D and will really scream.

Drinnen.
I love my Epi LP Standard and it works for the kind of stuff I play, but the Gibson LP Standard takes a massive tonal dump on it, generally because it's around 4 times the price.

A friend of mine plays his Epi LP Standard through a Peavey Delta Blues and it sounds a-freakin-mazing, so close to that richness you get from the Gibson.

The thing with Gibsons is that they sound awesome played through just about anything, but the bottom line, I suppose, is you get what you pay for - get a decent amp if you don't have one already
I love my Epi LP Standard and it works for the kind of stuff I play, but the Gibson LP Standard takes a massive tonal dump on it, generally because it's around 4 times the price.

Well you have brought up another subject, amps, I always wonder just how much a good amp can bring out a better sound from the guitar that sounds flat in general, then again if the pup's are lacking they won't drive the amp to it's potential anyway, about $8000 would fix my problems, anyway thanks for the reply.

Drinnen.
to be honest, more of your tone comes from the amp than the guitar, whatever you plug into it an amp has the final say on how a guitar sounds

you can tell it's my amp whether I plug in my LP or my Tele, the LP definitely carries a "signature" of the more crunchy rocking tone and the tele has that classic twang, but they both sound like my VHT at the end of the day

EDIT: the Epi LP Standard (my main axe) is a pretty good guitar, it may be worth upgrading the pups and I know the stock ones are a bit hit and miss, but a change of pups (max $250) and a decent sounding amp (max $500) would solve your problems
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Mar 20, 2012,
You might have gotten unlucky with the pickups in the LP you got. Mine sounded fine, I only replaced the pickups because I wanted P90 style pickups in it (that and I bought an Epi LP Custom also).

If it was my guitar, I'd get new pickups. Maybe try some GuitarFetish pickups so you won't be out much money if you still don't like it. But I can also do pickup changes on my own, so it only costs me the pickup price, that might impact your decision making.
Epi LP standards are alright guitars but they do need a pickup change.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
to be honest, more of your tone comes from the amp than the guitar, whatever you plug into it an amp has the final say on how a guitar sounds

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe the best thing I could do would be to take my Epi and test it on a few different amps.

Drinnen.
You might have gotten unlucky with the pickups in the LP you got. Mine sounded fine, I only replaced the pickups because I wanted P90 style pickups in it (that and I bought an Epi LP Custom also).

If it was my guitar, I'd get new pickups. Maybe try some GuitarFetish pickups so you won't be out much money if you still don't like it. But I can also do pickup changes on my own, so it only costs me the pickup price, that might impact your decision making.[/QUOTE

I could do that, funny you mention P90's via GF, some months ago I bought 2 off them, to put in my kit built SG, I could try swapping them, thanks for your input.

Drinnen.
Quote by Adalias

That figure 4 brought me to a stop, but I'll try a few things, thanks for the reply.

Drinnen.
Well, my Epi LP Standard, I love to death, but a stock one won't comapre to a stock Gibby. I would recommend getting some new pickups in it and will greatly improve your tone.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Epi pickups are not very good. Get some new ones if you can afford it. If $$ is an object look at GFS pickups, they are great for the price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have an epi black beauty, all I've done to it was add a freeway 6 position toggle switch and different caps, and I love it's sound, if you can do the work yourself try upgrading the electrics before looking for pickups, you never know it might just be that little bit that helps, or maybe try adjusting the height of your pickups
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Epi LP standards are alright guitars but they do need a pickup change.

thanks for your input.

Drinnen.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Well, my Epi LP Standard, I love to death, but a stock one won't comapre to a stock Gibby. I would recommend getting some new pickups in it and will greatly improve your tone.

Good suggestions from all here, I'll try one at a time and see what really makes a difference to tone.

Drinnen.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Epi pickups are not very good. Get some new ones if you can afford it. If $$ is an object look at GFS pickups, they are great for the price.

That will certainly be one I'll do, thanks.

Drinnen.
Quote by gangsta_rick
I have an epi black beauty, all I've done to it was add a freeway 6 position toggle switch and different caps, and I love it's sound, if you can do the work yourself try upgrading the electrics before looking for pickups, you never know it might just be that little bit that helps, or maybe try adjusting the height of your pickups

Yes I have heard that some mods to the electrics can make an improvemnt, thanks for your input.

Drinnen.
Quote by jof1029
use the edit feature instead of posting 4 times in a row

Have you ever been told ?, well consider you have now.
Melt the wax out of the pickups! Put one out of phase! Or replace them if you're all fancy and can afford it...
My Epi LP sounds good. Not the same as the Gibson but still good in its own way. When I got mine it had no pots or 3way switch or wiring so I replaced all that stuff with Allparts components. Nothing special just good aftermarket parts. The pickups are still stock and I think they have good clarity and tone. The "Loosin" mp3 clip in my profile was done with the Epiphone if you want to hear what mine sounds like for comparison.(disclaimer: old recording and kind of sloppy playing but good example of the tone)

- Edited to suggest you may want to have a tech look it over before you dump a lot of money into pickups. Maybe it's just wired wrong. I bought a new guitar once that was wired wrong from the factory. It's rare but it happens.
Last edited by deluthe at Apr 3, 2012,