Poll: So what do you think? (read post first)
Poll Options
View poll results: So what do you think? (read post first)
I know for a fact it's possible because I've done it/seen it done. (Scientific View)
5 13%
I know for a fact it's possible because I've done it/seen it done. (Spiritual View)
2 5%
I guess it could be possible. (Scientific View)
9 23%
I guess it could be possibe. (Spiritual View)
0 0%
I have no idea...
5 13%
It's all bullshit TS, and you should feel bad for even thinking about it!
18 46%
Voters: 39.
I'm kindof skeptical about this whole idea, but I've decided I'd give it a shot because if it does end up working it would be insanely fun!

So O.B.E.'s are out-of-body experiences, more specifically in a "dream" state. The idea is that if you can get your body in a sleep state, while your mind is still awake, you enter sleep paralysis where you are awake, but can not move. From there, apparently if you concentrate hard enough, you can simply stand up, turn around, and see yourself sleeping there.

Apparently after you have left your body, you will be able to explore the world around you as a "spirit". You will be able to levitate, walk through walls and doors, fly, and do pretty much anything you would imagine a ghost can do.

There's two main views on it:

1. The "Scientific View" is that you are actually asleep and dreaming, and your mind tricks you into thinking you are outside of your body.

and

2. The "Spiritual View" where you actually have a spirit, that actually leaves your body. everything you are seeing is very real.

Personally, and stated earlier, I am very skeptical of my "spirit" being able to leave my body, but I do see how your mind might be able to trick you into thinking you have.

I have also tried it out myself, without any luck. Basically trying to fall asleep while staying conscious and alert, and for me it is a lot harder than it sounds!

So... What is the pit's opinion on this. have you heard of it? tried it yourself? have any techniques to induce it? think this is all bullshit?

TL/DR: Do you think it is possible to have an out-of-body experience? (either in a dream state or spiritual sense, up to you)
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Last edited by nbur4556 at Mar 20, 2012,
Lay off the weed brah
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Lay off the weed brah

You mean "Pass that over here"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
You mean "Pass that over here"

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Lay off the weed brah

Haha, should have inb4'd that!
~ The Mad Hatter

I think it is possible, only because I've had o.b.e's myself. Sometimes it can be very frightening. A lot of people who have experienced sleep paralysis report seeing a shadowy figure standing close by, watching. When you see it, it is TERRIFYING. I had this happen to me twice. The idea is that these are wandering spirits, looking for a body to possess because they lost theirs. (The movie Insidious is a good example of this)

If you wander too far from your body, it is said that these spirits will take it, and you will be left wandering like they were.

My OBE's were pretty scary. Standing above your own body is surreal. And seeing figures surround you doesn't make it any less frightening
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The sad thing is that it's hard for me to be against their religious groups since their temples look like ice cream.
Quote by nbur4556

I have also tried it out myself, without any luck. Basically trying to fall asleep while staying conscious and alert, and for me it is a lot harder than it sounds!

Yeah, funny that.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The world is not split into black and white absolutes and there is a lot more to this than 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
No idea, as I've never experienced it and as far as I'm aware neither has anybody I know in person. With that said, there are enough reports from people all over the world that it's more than possible.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I've listened to a friend of mine talk at lengths about his 'sleep paralysis' experiences. Personally, all it sounds like to me is psyching yourself out and doing a whole bunch of mental backflips to get some 'effect'. If you are good at making yourself go into denial at will you might be able to do it, but that doesn't sound like the case. You should be glad.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I think OBE's are essentially dream state hallucinations.

Unless you get hit by a bus. Then they're something entirely different.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I believe they are possible, from a scientific view. It's basically remaining conscious while letting your body sleep. And alot of people who suffer with constant sleep paralysis have this most days, although it dosn't seem enjoyable.
Quote by Jackal58
Unless you get hit by a bus. Then they're something entirely different.

Depends upon whether you're conscious or not after being hit by the bus, if you are, then it's just a hallucination, if not, then it can still be a dream state hallucination.
speaking of dreams, last night i had a dream that i grabbed the boob of a hot girl i know and subsequently hooked up with her. I forgot about it until later on today when i realised it was a dream, to say the least i was a little pissed off.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Is the awareness that lingers after decapitation an 'out of body experience', or is that more an 'off of body experience'?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Is the awareness that lingers after decapitation an 'out of body experience', or is that more an 'off of body experience'?

I would say that is just your brain still working with what its got left. But, thats just an assumption.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The sad thing is that it's hard for me to be against their religious groups since their temples look like ice cream.
I've been in sudden traumatic shock (car accident) before and it is exactly what an obe would feel like. In fact, i'm willing to bet that all of the most realistic obe's revolve around shock or trauma. It is very hard to defend against this argument of it being from shock.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

seems possible, gonna need some Coyote cactus do
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
I'm not really interested in whatever medals the Queen has to offer.

MBE, OBE, CBE, who gives a shit?
Sing me to sleep.
I'm sure your mind can trick you in to believing and experiencing all kinds of things. I only see the scientific explanation as plausible but does it matter? If you completely experience leaving your body, it makes no difference whether or not it is real or a mind-trick. Experience is experience.
Quote by PinealOptics
I think it is possible, only because I've had o.b.e's myself. Sometimes it can be very frightening. A lot of people who have experienced sleep paralysis report seeing a shadowy figure standing close by, watching. When you see it, it is TERRIFYING. I had this happen to me twice. The idea is that these are wandering spirits, looking for a body to possess because they lost theirs. (The movie Insidious is a good example of this)

If you wander too far from your body, it is said that these spirits will take it, and you will be left wandering like they were.

My OBE's were pretty scary. Standing above your own body is surreal. And seeing figures surround you doesn't make it any less frightening

I saw that movie. wasn't as scary as I expected it to be

It'd freak me out though if someone was trying to take my body in real life!! hopefully that doesn't happen if I ever get it to work...
~ The Mad Hatter

not possible, go do drugs
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Statistically speaking, sleep paralysis happens quite often to me. While most people will only experience it two or three times in their lives, I get it about once a month. I have no idea why, but I'm cool with it.

I knew what sleep paralysis was before I ever had it, so I was never really afraid of it. Truth be told, I think it's kinda cool. Anyhow, it's happened to me, but I accept the scientific definition.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.