Hi,

Right so I am in a musical duo where most of our songs are just vocals and electric guitar. As we play more gigs, we think some of our songs would benefit with a drummer. However I feel, although we try to keep it minimal, this may make the lack of a bassist more obvious.

So is there anything I can do, with regards to guitar tone, amp set up, drum parts (as they haven't been written yet) etc... to make this less of a problem. How do The White Stripes do it for the majority of the songs?

We are sort of aiming to be like The Kills, Yeah yeah yeahs, Pixies...

My kit: I have basically a Gretsch Duo Jet, Fender Twin Reverb and a host of pedals. (I do have a whammy but due to the songs, its not really practical to use the octave down feature all the time)

Any help appreciated!

Originally posted by Lorddrg7
If crap came in a package, it would probably be wrapped in this
get a bassist and drummer. use a double bass player, would keep it kinda basic and rootsy.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Get a bass player, you can try and crank up the low end on your guitars but it's no substitute.
Okay, I know the 'easiest' thing appears to be getting another bass player. But due to time constraints (we are in university) and other issues its not particularly feasible.

But phrasing it differently, how does Jack White go about it live? His guitar still sounds bright in the treble range, do the drums focus more on the bass pedal and the toms?

Quote by Bidinski
How does Jack White go about it live? His guitar still sounds bright in the treble range, do the drums focus more on the bass pedal and the toms?
I read in Total guitar years ago that Jack White split his guitar signal and went through a guitar and a bass amp, or something along those lines. I can't remember if it was for specific songs, whole gigs, or even if it was his live setup. Lastly, I could be talking out of my ass but I'm fairly sure I read it in Total Guitar magazine.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Jack White uses a Digitech whammy, octave down, to get a fatter sound, and goes octave up on solos. (Not always of course, but you get the picture)

If you have the right gear, your fears are Bassless....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Bidinski
Okay, I know the 'easiest' thing appears to be getting another bass player. But due to time constraints (we are in university) and other issues its not particularly feasible.

Uh huh. I don't see having a new member taking up any more time than the band already does. I went through university in multiple bands, and continue to through my working life.

And if given the choice, why go for a drummer over a bassist? Is a drummer somehow more time efficient than a bassist? It simply does not make sense.

However, what does make sense is if you're not keen on finding a new member, get your singer to play a Cajun drum on some songs.

Sure she won't be able to sing as well because she'll be hunched over the drum, but you'll avoid extra members adding to the band, which affects how you use your time for some reason.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
With respect to time, I mean because do different subjects and are at different colleges with the university we have different deadlines, so finding an overlapping free day for 2 people is difficult. Adding a drummer makes it even more difficult and adding the bassist may mean we can only practise once every 4 weeks or so...

So my reasoning was, there are bands that function fine without one, find out how they do it and apply it.

I was planning to sample and sequence drums instead of acquiring a drummer, but I don't have enough time with exams coming up.

Quote by Bidinski
With respect to time, I mean because do different subjects and are at different colleges with the university we have different deadlines, so finding an overlapping free day for 2 people is difficult. Adding a drummer makes it even more difficult and adding the bassist may mean we can only practise once every 4 weeks or so...

You only need one night a week dude, and if you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't be in a band. I'm working full time, and I'm able to juggle 4+ bands, and did the same through university. You should be able to handle one.

Quote by Bidinski
So my reasoning was, there are bands that function fine without one, find out how they do it and apply it.

They're really the exception to the rule. Everyone else can handle having more than two members, why can't you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just buy an 8 string and drop tune it. Well that, and hook it up to the electric thingy that Alan said.....
Quote by AlanHB
They're really the exception to the rule.

That shouldn't mean it's impossible to say how they do it, which is what I'm really asking. I didn't intend to get stuck in an argument about how to form a band.

And while they are a minority, there is still a good deal of them... white stripes, black keys, sleater-kinney, blood red shoes, the kills, giraffe?giraffe!, yeah yeah yeahs, explosions in the sky...

i'm sure you guys could find a bassist with roughly the same shcedule as you? and dont just limit yourself to looking for bassists in college which is what it sounds like youre doing maybe look at finding someone with only a part time job or still in highschool ect.. they will have plenty of free time also theres the obvious solution i cant beleave no one has said and thats why dont you get your singer to learn bass or you learn bass yourself? ie. youd have a guitar a bass and drums without added time restraints thats the reason i origanly picked up bass
first off I need to mention that you just need to find one day for everyone to be open, and if you are up front about that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone. also lyou could find someone that can practice any night of the week (I can pretty much practice any night I just have to be at work for the graveyard shift for 11 so it works great for the people in my band that lead much buissier lives).

also you could try spliting your guitar signal, sending one half to you whammy pedal tuned down one octave and into a bass amp, then the other half to your regular rig and hook up a volume pedal to each side to make sure you have total control of the volumes with out having to play with the amps, and giving you the ability to quiet down the bass end while boosting the high end for a solo.... idk but I'd try that in your situation....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
also therere other ways you can practice without being face to face try recording softwaree ect