So I (finally) just finished Mass Effect last night and got to the dreaded choices at the ending. I chose to upload Shep to the Catalyst or whatever and take control of the Reapers. I'd certainly love the ME universe to continue, and if it dies with little closure I will be quite disappointed. However, I found the conclusion of Shepard's story to be as satisfying as I could have gotten (seeing as how ME has ruled my gaming life since the first one came out, I was bound to be upset simply because it had to end).

Do you hate the endings? Love them? Think they're underwhelming but you're not up in arms? Discuss.
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
I'm going with 'underwhelmimng, but not up in arms'.

TBH, I think the ME universe could easily continue, in the form of a prequel(wasn't there a contact war or something?), or keep going forward with the cluster**** that the galaxy would have been left in after the defeat of the Reapers.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm going with 'underwhelmimng, but not up in arms'.

TBH, I think the ME universe could easily continue, in the form of a prequel(wasn't there a contact war or something?), or keep going forward with the cluster**** that the galaxy would have been left in after the defeat of the Reapers.

I agree with this, a Contact War game would be pretty sweet. My only gripe with the endings was just how rushed and unfinished the dialogue feels, where it's just like "Here's your choice, A or B (or the always present third option), and no matter what you're gonna blow up the Mass Relays and screw up the way the whole galaxy gets around....bye"

EDIT: @whoomit a lot of people thought that the ending of 3 "ruined the series" for them, but I disagree. I would definitely keep playing, the gameplay improves sooooo much in the next two games.
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

Last edited by chriscobonham at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by whoomit
I'm just at the end of the first one

It turns out Udina is actually Sheperd's father.
The reveal at the top of a massive, seemingly bottomless chasm after the fight is a total mind = blown moment.
Quote by Diemon Dave
The universe is continuing. Shepards story is not.

Bioware have been saying this since ME2.

As for the endings, sure they were curveballs, but the reaction to them has painted gamers as overly-entitled, whiny little bags of shit.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yeah, I'm embarassed for the people on the ME forums who are saying "We have to boycott Bioware and EA! FORCE them to give us a better ending!"

Didn't Bioware give you five years of this awesome series that you're clearly passionate about? And almost everyone on those forums has played (and loved) other Bioware titles as well.
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

The ending was perfect. The plot was getting more intense by the minute, a happy hollywood ending wouldn´t have sufficed. I chose the synthesis ending and it brought a tear to my eye, knowing that I had ended centuries of struggle between rivaling races and organics and synthetics by sacrificing Shepard.

Aside from the ending being open and some things left unexplained, I don´t know what all the fuss is about. Bioware doesn´t owe you your perfect ending.
Last edited by Nollemaster at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by Nollemaster
The ending was perfect. The plot was getting more intense by the minute, a happy hollywood ending wouldn´t have sufficed. Aside from the ending being open and some things left unexplained, I don´t know what all the fuss is about. Bioware doesn´t owe us anything.

I enjoy that the same people complaining about how "there's no good/happy/golden ending!!!" were the same people saying that there SHOULDN'T be an ending like that, or else the Reapers would be effectively nerfed.
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by slapsymcdougal
The reveal at the top of a massive, seemingly bottomless chasm after the fight is a total mind = blown moment.

Huh... Thanks
Quote by whoomit
Huh... Thanks

I totally didn't just swap Vader and Luke there.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It turns out Udina is actually Sheperd's father.(Invalid img)
The ending wasn't what I expected but then I wondered what I actually did expect.
I went through the incredibly slow walk 3 times so that I could see them all and the "middle" option made it all fine again.
And anyway even if the ending was a little dodgy I don't think there's ever been a game series I was that excited about that actually proved me right. The adrenaline and emotion brought out at some points was crazy!
Quote by JBaBR
The ending wasn't what I expected but then I wondered what I actually did expect.
I went through the incredibly slow walk 3 times so that I could see them all and the "middle" option made it all fine again.
And anyway even if the ending was a little dodgy I don't think there's ever been a game series I was that excited about that actually proved me right. The adrenaline and emotion brought out at some points was crazy!

That final battle to protect the missiles was sick. I'm gonna take my "Canon Shep" through the "middle" ending, as that seems like the most positive, IMO
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by Nollemaster
(Invalid img)The ending was perfect. The plot was getting more intense by the minute, a happy hollywood ending wouldn´t have sufficed. I chose the synthesis ending and it brought a tear to my eye, knowing that I had ended centuries of struggle between rivaling races and organics and synthetics by sacrificing Shepard.

Aside from the ending being open and some things left unexplained, I don´t know what all the fuss is about. Bioware doe I chose the synthesis ending and it brought a tear to my eye,sn´t owe you your perfect ending.
I chose the synthesis ending and it brought a tear to my eye,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I totally didn't just swap Vader and Luke there.

Oh...

WHY ARE SPAM BOTS EVERYWHERE?!
Quote by whoomit
Oh...

WHY ARE SPAM BOTS EVERYWHERE?!

I'm not a bot.
Spammer, debatable. But not a bot.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm not a bot.
Spammer, debatable. But not a bot.

Not you

tammiwfnj and hawkbzmd. I also just spotted like another 2 in different threads
Quote by whoomit
Not you

tammiwfnj and hawkbzmd. I also just spotted like another 2 in different threads

I also just spotted like another 2 in different threads
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by chriscobonham
That final battle to protect the missiles was sick. I'm gonna take my "Canon Shep" through the "middle" ending, as that seems like the most positive, IMO

Haha I thought it was gonna go on forever and it would've if I didn't realise I had to do something other than fight :P
SO MANY BANSHEES!

Yeah at least with that one the lovebirds could do whatever they wanted hahahaha...just seemed like the most generally happy ending like you said
I choose the "destruction" option, simply because I didn't know there was a third option (did I pay that little attention or didn't they tell you about that one?), if I had known about the "symbiotic" option... Now I have to play that terrible slow part all over again. Damn...

Quote by Aralingh
What is Mass Effect?

What's this I don't even...
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats