Does anybody get bothered when you've seen/read/played a movie/book/game or something of that nature, and then later it becomes a craze, and everybody loves it? This is happening to me with The Hunger Games. I read the series a while ago and was like "meh, that was pretty good but it's not life changing" and now people are freaking out about it.

Basically, if something underwhelms you and then everyone else seems to fall in love with it, what is your reaction? inb4 hipster nonsense
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
Just having the satisfaction of knowing that you were there first
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Isn't the hunger games just like a western Battle Royale?
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
I really wouldn't care much at all.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Vendetta16

With a twilight-y romance subplot.
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by Vendetta16

+1
Couldnt even sit though all of battle royale, the high school drama ridiculousness was too much!
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
i was angry at people for being hipster before it was hipster to be angry at people being hipsteristic hipsters
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by LivinJoke84
Im not sure why someone would get angry at something they like hitting the big time??

Isn't that how hipsters are formed?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by LivinJoke84
Im not sure why someone would get angry at something they like hitting the big time??

Cause people mostly jump on a bandwagon and spew ignorant statements about whatever music/book/movie it is at the time due to them having just blindly hopped on it. Those who were fans from the start and truly understand/appreciate it get drowned out with comments.

Look at most big vids on youtube and check the comments.
Knowledge is power
Quote by Vendetta16

I keep asking people who have read it this, but no one has read Battle Royale.

OP: I also hate when a bunch of hipster douches hate stuff because its gotten popular. You should love or hate a piece of art based on its own merits or problems. Not because other people have started to love it.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by LivinJoke84

I initially wasn't thinking of things I like hitting it big, because that rarely bothers me. My problem is witht hings that I think are mediocre being adored by seemingly everyone
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by chriscobonham
I initially wasn't thinking of things I like hitting it big, because that rarely bothers me. My problem is witht hings that I think are mediocre being adored by seemingly everyone

Harry Potter. Just saying. I thought It was on the bad side of the "Meh Spectrum." People that JUST LOVE HARRY POTTER BECAUSE IT'S SO ****ING GOOD!!!!!! make me want to punch my self repeatedly in the face.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by chriscobonham

People are entitled to their opinion. If people likes something and want to go nuts over it, despite the fact you think its mediocre, then what difference does it make to you.

I have no intention of seeing The Hunger Games because it doesnt interest me. Not because i think im too cool, simply that the premise isnt really my cup of tea. If it goes on to be bigger than Jesus it aint gonna bother me. If someone goes sees it, despite never even heard of it until a week ago, then goes on to read the books and declares it the best thing of all time then good for them.

Rather than getting so hooked up on being angry at what other people enjoy, focus your energies on simply taking pleasure in the things you enjoy instead
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Mar 20, 2012,
Ya who cares, maybe you just don't like that kinda shit as much as others.

This is what happens with all the hipsters loving these indie bands and then hate their guts and claim they are sell-outs cause they get played on the radio and more famous/pulling in the cash cheddar. <--- That's what bothers me the most.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Quote by Ninja#117
Cause people mostly jump on a bandwagon and spew ignorant statements about whatever music/book/movie it is at the time due to them having just blindly hopped on it. Those who were fans from the start and truly understand/appreciate it get drowned out with comments.

Nobody likes an elitest.

Doesnt matter whether you and ten other people or you and ten million other people like a band/film/book/etc, you should still get the same enjoyment out of it.

You feel like you had to put some sort of hard work into finding a band or something cos 'you were there from the start'. Then the band hit the big time and the music you had to work so hard to find ended up just getting plonked into peoples laps and now they like it too. Cos you put more effort in your opinion matters more than theirs, right?

Bullshit.
I couldn't care less.

Its just vain to think that you are a better or bigger fan of something because you witnessed it first.

Sometimes you will be a bigger fan or a 'truer' fan, but it doesn't come from how long you've known the shit.
Sing me to sleep.
Quote by Ninja#117

I would not recommend this.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by LivinJoke84
pics

No idea who that is but I'd tap that.
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
isn't this pretty much the Hipster-Cred thread?

no i was never cool
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Nobody likes an elitest.

Doesnt matter whether you and ten other people or you and ten million other people like a band/film/book/etc, you should still get the same enjoyment out of it.

You feel like you had to put some sort of hard work into finding a band or something cos 'you were there from the start'. Then the band hit the big time and the music you had to work so hard to find ended up just getting plonked into peoples laps and now they like it too. Cos you put more effort in your opinion matters more than theirs, right?

Bullshit.

Yeah, I've never understood that sort of attitude either. Surely if you like a band, then you want that band to continue and keep writing and recording new material for as long as possible, and being successful generaly ensures that a band sticks around for longer, whereas being unsuccessful often causes musicians to seek out other avenues to success.

So if you like a band, surely you should be happy if they become successful?
I remember when I got into Motorhead in the 70s before many people had heard of them, then being really happy when they started to take off because it meant regular new releases and gigs.
Quote by aeroslash09
I couldn't care less.

Its just vain to think that you are a better or bigger fan of something because you witnessed it first.

Sometimes you will be a bigger fan or a 'truer' fan, but it doesn't come from how long you've known the shit.

Yep. It's bullcrap.

If McDonald's came out with a new burger called the McFatso or something and you were one of the first to try it out, would you start complaining about how you're a 'true' McFatso fan because other people started eating it after you did, and they have no relation to you whatsoever?

Pretty bad comparison just thought up on the spot...but I will NOT stand for someone telling me that I'm less of a Protest The Hero or Nevermore fan because I got into them later than they did. None of the hipsters have anything to do with the music/item in question anyway, I don't see why think they're entitled to some share of its credibility when the creators of it probably don't give a crap about them.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
...I don't think people actually read the OP...
Quote by WCPhils

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by chriscobonham
Does anybody get bothered when you've seen/read/played a movie/book/game or something of that nature, and then later it becomes a craze, and everybody loves it? This is happening to me with The Hunger Games. I read the series a while ago and was like "meh, that was pretty good but it's not life changing" and now people are freaking out about it.

Basically, if something underwhelms you and then everyone else seems to fall in love with it, what is your reaction? inb4 hipster nonsense

Anyway...

I'm just used to things I like not being popular or being out of style... Whether it be my music, clothes, haircut, shoes, computers, reading material, etc. I hardly ever experience any "new" media since, in my eyes, they're trying to become the new craze (Harry Potter [Which I adored as a kid, don't get me wrong], Twilight, Hunger Games, Kony, etc) while older things had their day (Or potentially didn't [cough Hipster]) and they weren't written for a potential fad or if they did it was done to a better quality IMO.

So no, it doesn't bother me when things nowadays become crazes because I think, especially after Harry Potter, young adult novels are trying to become that craze, so when it happens it doesn't register in the slightest

And to you all having the hipster argument... Not everyone in the world can find these underground bands that are actually good and be one of their first fans, it takes them getting big to really reach an audience (Thus getting big), who's to say this new fan doesn't like their stuff as much as the "first" fan. Cause they put more into it? Seriously? Maybe you went to a show in some 40 person place where each member made $5 or you bought their EP... Woopty doo... That definitely took A LOT of work
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by chriscobonham
...I don't think people actually read the OP...

I did, but I forgot it by the time I was starting to type my post.

ANYWAY

Yeah. Twilight. Read it in 9th grade. Was like 'kay, that's a book' and it got really bad and I had all but stopped caring by the time New Moon came out in the theaters.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I bought The Hunger Games a couple weeks ago by recommendation from an English major friend, and I really enjoyed it. And had I known that this series of books as a big girly Twilight-esque fan circle, probably due to the upcoming movie I was also utterly unaware of, I probably would've never given it a chance.

But as for the actual question, yes it bothers me, and no, there's no good reason for it.