So I was thinking today... is it 100% safe to run a 100W head that you can switch down to 50W on a 60W cab?
I've got an Orange PPC112 with a 60W speaker, and I really don't have room for anything bigger in my apartment, but I am curious if it's safe to run a 100W head on it if the said head could be switched down to half power.
I'm actually looking at two heads, one is the Carvin Legacy 3, and the other is a Mesa Mark V (yeah 90W i know..but switchable to 45W).
To be honest I am probably not looking to buy either in quite a long time, but I am just really curious about this.

I understand that the amp wont have full output unless I crank the volume up even on 100% power setting, but I'd like to be sure I won't be able to damage anything.

TL;DR
Will a 100W amp that is switchable to 50W run as a "true" 50W head, therefore not damage my 60W orange cab?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Yes, that'll be fine so long as you keep it on the 50/45 watt setting.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks for the incredibly quick answer
I figured it would be like that, but better to be safe than sorry.
It's really a silly idea that I am thinking about more amps...but I just can't help myself. It's nice to know I wont be restricted by the 60W cab, though!
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Even on 100w, if you don't crank it, there will not be damage. The damage occurs with volume, so, running a 100w head through a 60w speaker on a low volume is fine. But I would even crank a 50w head up loud into a 60w speaker. I'd look into getting a 2x12 if your gonna be gigging.
Quote by AgentOrange...
Even on 100w, if you don't crank it, there will not be damage. The damage occurs with volume, so, running a 100w head through a 60w speaker on a low volume is fine. But I would even crank a 50w head up loud into a 60w speaker. I'd look into getting a 2x12 if your gonna be gigging.

Please tell me that you didn't just imply that a 2x12 will automagically handle more power than a 1x12?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Running your 100w head full volume at 4 ohms would be bad if you're using a 60w speaker. You should be fine if you don't push your head too hard. Setting your amp to 8 or 16 ohms would be safer.
Quote by Arby911
Please tell me that you didn't just imply that a 2x12 will automagically handle more power than a 1x12?

I was just going to leave it alone as his post is so vague I can't even tell what he's saying. I think he meant to say he wouldn't run 50 watts into a 60 watt speaker cranked, which I think we can agree is perfectly safe. Besides a 2x12 for gigging isn't a crazy suggestion, just the wrong reason for the suggestion.

TS - Just ignore that guy. You're fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

TS - Just ignore that guy. You're fine.

Yeaaah...I didn't read into it that much!
I appreciate all the input though!
I do actually have an Orange PPC212 as well though...it's just not in my apartment due to space constraints :p
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by tubetime86
I was just going to leave it alone as his post is so vague I can't even tell what he's saying. I think he meant to say he wouldn't run 50 watts into a 60 watt speaker cranked, which I think we can agree is perfectly safe. Besides a 2x12 for gigging isn't a crazy suggestion, just the wrong reason for the suggestion.

I would usually have let it slide as well, but that's the second time today I've seen someone suggest a 2x12 based on power handling...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I would usually have let it slide as well, but that's the second time today I've seen someone suggest a 2x12 based on power handling...

Ya at some point you gotta keep the BS in check. Though to be fair; the power handling capability of a 2x12 is greater than that of a 1x12, all other things being equal. Its just that we both know that all other things rarely are.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by tubetime86

Ya at some point you gotta keep the BS in check.

Of course, as failure to do so will hasten the zombie apocalypse.

OTOH, Some days it can't come quick enough...
Charles Darwin
Zombies.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!