Hi guys,

Do you guys have any beginner tips for mixing fast and/or brutal metal songs? I think I can deal with mixing slow/mid tempo pieces with a simple setting of two guitars, base + some effects like here:

http://soundcloud.com/harpo777/coroner-serpent-moves-cover

But I get totally lost when I have to do a fast/blast-beat oriented song like this one:

http://soundcloud.com/harpo777/mi-sny-je

The kick gets always lost in the mix, even though I cut the low freq of guitars. The snare is either to loud or to 'snappy' (with lots of high freq) and I cant make it fit to both the blast-beats and normal playing. Is this a problem with the drums or maybe the other instruments not fitting the overall mix?

I wonder if the solution is editing? Do you guys edit your guitar tracks (by editing I mean slicing recorded guitar parts and placing them exactly where they should be) and how you do this to not get an artificial sound?

Any tips on how to eq guitar parts is also appreciated
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
Carvin DC 727 Custom w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
BM 2x12" Celestion Vintage30 Custom cab
Line6 POD x3 Live
Behringer V-Tone GMX210, lol.

www.serpentia.pl
www.soundcloud.com/harpo777
If you're drums are computerized lay that down first so you have a 'backing track' to play with which is perfectly timed. If the drums are actually played by someone, you just need to take care to get it in time.

For guitars, I find it helpful to have one section overlap another so it "blends" a bit and doesn't cut off abruptly if you know what I mean.

That's all I got; I am just getting into multitrack recording myself.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Practise, research, practise some more.

Really there are so many variables and personal preferences that you just need to find stuff online and then try and apply them.

I'd recommend a good starting place is the Recording Revolution channel on Youtube for general mixing techniques, maybe some of Feardse's channel for more metal specific stuff.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

I'd recommend a good starting place is the Recording Revolution channel on Youtube for general mixing techniques, maybe some of Feardse's channel for more metal specific stuff.

Thanks, I didnt know Recording Revolution. Gonna check them out. Feardse and FearComplexMusic are both great channels! Got some impulses from them
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
Line6 POD x3 Live

www.serpentia.pl
I see you're using SD2.0 for drums so here are my tips on getting the snare right: make all your usual hits' velocities 127 and then use around 70-80 for blasts or even lower for gravity blasts. No drummer blasts anywhere near as hard as they hit regularly so you've gotta humanize the midi accordingly.

For getting a kick to cut, the most important thing is to find the click/slap you want and then give it a bit of a boost and also go and make a little cut on all the tracks in the center of the stereo field to accommodate for the click/slap. A lot the time the subtractive EQ is enough to get the click to cut without boosting it a point where it sounds unnatural.
Let's party.
Quote by Odirunn
I see you're using SD2.0 for drums so here are my tips on getting the snare right: make all your usual hits' velocities 127 and then use around 70-80 for blasts or even lower for gravity blasts. No drummer blasts anywhere near as hard as they hit regularly so you've gotta humanize the midi accordingly.

For getting a kick to cut, the most important thing is to find the click/slap you want and then give it a bit of a boost and also go and make a little cut on all the tracks in the center of the stereo field to accommodate for the click/slap. A lot the time the subtractive EQ is enough to get the click to cut without boosting it a point where it sounds unnatural.

Thanks, that was very helpful! I made a fresh mix using your tips;

http://soundcloud.com/harpo777/diplomacy-through

I also cut the lows of the guitars (about 40-60hz) to make them more fitting with the bass guitar.
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
Line6 POD x3 Live

www.serpentia.pl
Quote by The_flower_king

I also cut the lows of the guitars (about 40-60hz) to make them more fitting with the bass guitar.

Honestly I'd recommend cutting higher than that. Normally 100hz is the minimum cut for me on guitars.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The new mix sounds a lot better. The kick is pretty clear and defined throughout and the blasts sounds more natural!
Let's party.