Hello GB&C! A few moments ago I was standing on my porch enjoying a cigarette and a cup of sweet tea, pondering the dilemma of how I am going to acquire a 5 or 6 string bass to use in the band I just joined, seeing as how I cant handle the such a low tuning with my 4 string. All of a sudden, it hit me. I have a rather useless 8 string guitar sitting in my closet ( documented in the thread " Pretty crazy custom late-NGD!" which some of you might remember).
I thought that somehow, I could convert this guitar into a 5 or 6 string bass?!

What are your guys's opinions on this idea? Any tips or advice you could share with me?
THALL
It sounds possible. I use a high D bass string on my guitar for added thickness in tone. Its huge! Just make sure you get it professionally set up. You could very well snap your neck or rip your bridge right out. (happened to me AND my friend)

I play with 14's minimum. Get it set up. Truss rod, bridge, action, intonation, might have to move your bridge back for it to be spot on.
... or just pick one up on craigslist and give me the 8 string.

It would honestly be your best bet over converting it. You will run into problem after problem as time goes on.
I just realized that the scale lengths don't match up. I don't know why I didn't think about that! I'm just dumb, I guess.

And sir, you could always buy the 8 string from me! Just be sure to check out the NGD thread first. It's a very, VERY unique guitar. Nice cleans
THALL