EDIT: No problems with amp feedback any more.

I have noticed some problems with my new Laney VC30. When I turn the volume to 3 or 4 (which is too loud for home use) I hear that feedback kind of sound (my guitar volume is off of course , that's not the problem). It's high pitched and annoying. But it only happens when I use Drive channel. I have only used my amp at home so it's not a huge problem but if I'm going to play a gig with it, I don't want it to sound like if it feedbacks all the time. And it's really not feedback because my guitar volume is at 0. I have tried everything: I have turned all the other controls (including drive) to zero and switched the "bright" on and off and the squealing sound is still there. I have unplugged my pedals. Nothing has worked. So maybe it's something with the tubes? Otherwise the amp sounds fine. And I'm still happy with it. Sounds much better than my Micro Cube and Epi LP that I had to sell to buy this amp.

Oh, and the low gain input doesn't work. There's a buzzing noise coming out when I'm using the low input. I knew that when I bought the amp (it was used but I had a chance to try it) but I wouldn't have used the low input even though it had worked properly so that's not a serious problem. Maybe I should take the amp to someone who could repair it or at least say what's wrong with it. The amp is over 10 years old (it's the old model with HH speaker and I have heard that they stopped making those in 2002) and I don't know if the tubes have ever been changed, though there's nothing wrong with the sound so I don't know if there's anything wrong with the tubes either.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 5, 2012,
The feedback and noise are probably caused by a microphonic tube in V2. Replace that, see if that fixes the issue.

The low gain input is probably just a dirty or disconnected jack. Try cleaning it out with some contact cleaner on a q-tip, and if that doesn't work, you might need to pop it open to reconnect the jack. It's a quick job for a tech, they won't charge much to do it.
Quote by Roc8995
The feedback and noise are probably caused by a microphonic tube in V2. Replace that, see if that fixes the issue.

The low gain input is probably just a dirty or disconnected jack. Try cleaning it out with some contact cleaner on a q-tip, and if that doesn't work, you might need to pop it open to reconnect the jack. It's a quick job for a tech, they won't charge much to do it.

OK, thanks. But yeah, I'm not going to use the low input so that's really not a problem. I have never replaced tubes so I know nothing about them, this is my first tube amp and bought it 2 weeks ago. But can I buy any ECC83 tube (is it same as 12AX7?) and just replace the old one or do I have to do something else? And what tube would you recommend? (I know that there are Mesa Boogie tubes for sale in one guitar store and Electro Harmonix and Sovtek tubes in another guitar store.) Oh, and about the tube type, there are 12AX7WA, 12AX7LPS and 12AX7-EH. How do they differ? I'm really noob with this kind of things.

EDIT: And maybe I should replace all the tubes at the same time? Though I don't have that much money. But I'm not sure of their age, they might be over 10 years old because I know that the amp is at least 10 years old. And the previous owner said that he hadn't changed the tubes. But I think I'm the third owner of this amp, not sure.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 20, 2012,
Tube change helped and I think it even improved the tone a bit (I upgraded my V2 tube with Electro Harmonix 12AX7). No feedback noises any more and the amp doesn't hum as much as it did before tube change.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115