Hey fellas.

I know where all the positons are across the neck,

But im trying to auctually apply it to a song,

Why even go out of the box? if im playing the same notes?
Effect, It's like asking why you should play an inversion or a voicing. Why go out of the box? Emotions, chromatic runs... Most of the solos you will come p with are going to be pentatonic cause even though you don't know you're playing a scale, notes that go well together are usually in a scale
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
Here's just one of many ideas about knowing the boxes; it allows you to play laterally rather than vertically.
-5h8p5----8h10p8-------10h12p10-----12h15p12-----15h17p15-----17-20b22
------8s10------10s13----------13s15--------15s17--------17s20
----------
-
-
-

Playing laterally helps keep uniformity of tone.

Try playing that in just one box.... exactly, you can't.
Last edited by mdc at Mar 20, 2012,
Can someone explain it better? ive been using the extended version of the box that has 3 boxes total in it.
**** boxes learn the intervals and their sounds. Then you can improvise from the soul, instead of from the fingers.
Quote by IbanezMan989
Hey fellas.

If you're asking the question "why even go out of the box" then the answer is "don't."

I've said this in a lot of threads, but I guess it bears repeating:

You should stay in one box until you're able to create music that you like in one box, until you understand how to use it, letting your brain do the work - playing what you want to hear. If your ear isn't developed, if you don't have a strong mind-fretboard link, then you're largely wasting your time learning multiple boxes.

Instead, focus on your ear. Focus on your ability to visualize how you're going to play something and then play it. Focus in your ability to play something worthwhile that reacts to the underlying chord changes in a single box.

And once you can do that, worry about the other boxes.
Quote by IbanezMan989
Hey fellas.

learn some solos. Then you'll be applying the scales across the neck. Don't even try to improvise until you have some experience doing this 1st.
shred is gaudy music
i can improvise pretty decent, i use the 1st 2nd and 3nd position only tho.

Cant find a way to use the other positions along with the first 3
Quote by IbanezMan989
i can improvise pretty decent, i use the 1st 2nd and 3nd position only tho.

Cant find a way to use the other positions along with the first 3

Then you're doing something wrong. At some point you may need to invest into yourself somewhere, maybe through getting a teacher, as it appears you cannot both be the student and the teacher. How can you teach what you don't understand?

Best,

Sean
Quote by IbanezMan989

Same notes, different octaves? As noted above, learn some solos and see how other guitarists use the "boxes".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud