Page 1 of 2
Hey everybody this is my first post.I am 35 just bought an Ibanez gio and roland micro cube.I have always wanted to learn to play and now I'm going to.

The problem is that I'm trying to learn bar chords and I simply cant get the B major!My fingers are very short,is their another way to play it??

Thank you....
Your fingers aren't too short; you're just not practiced enough. One of the greatest guitarists ever, a little man named Shawn Lane, had tiny little hands which he used to make the most ridiculous stretches imaginable. It's all a matter of acquiring the strength and dexterity needed to make those stretches.

Barre chords are really tough to learn and get right, especially for beginner players, because they require a very unusual combination of finger strength and placement which you don't really use much outside of playing guitar.
Quote by Geldin
Your fingers aren't too short; you're just not practiced enough. One of the greatest guitarists ever, a little man named Shawn Lane, had tiny little hands which he used to make the most ridiculous stretches imaginable. It's all a matter of acquiring the strength and dexterity needed to make those stretches.

Barre chords are really tough to learn and get right, especially for beginner players, because they require a very unusual combination of finger strength and placement which you don't really use much outside of playing guitar.

So should I leave bar chords alone for now?What is the best way to learn?Lots of people say to just go on you tube and learn some songs,do you agree with this?

Hey thanks for responding dude.
Just keep practicing barchords in general until you can play them. Try and learn a few simple songs. Shouldn't be too hard, it's like the basics.
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Try something like this...

|--2---|-------|
|--4---|---7---|
|--4---|---8---|
|--4---|---9---|
|-------|---9---|
|-------|-------|
Quote by johnson 45
So should I leave bar chords alone for now?What is the best way to learn?Lots of people say to just go on you tube and learn some songs,do you agree with this?

Hey thanks for responding dude.

Certainly not! The only way to get better at guitar is to identify what you're bad at and then practice it until you're better at it. The best way to learn technique is to get a good teacher; if that's not an option, there are a lot of good resources online. I personally like to recommend justinguitar.com for beginner/intermediate players.
^ justinguitar (search on youtube or google) is an excellent resource for beginners.

I would certainly avoid barre chords for at least the first 6 months, they're very tough and require hand strength you just haven't got yet.
If you find something like a chord too hard early on it's most likely due to lack of experience with the guitar. As other have said, practice will take care of that. Just remember to keep it fun and if it's too hard don't be afraid to practice other things and come back to it.

However, keep in mind that holding the guitar at the proper position and keeping your fretting hand at the best angle is important too. Many beginners will simply be at bad angles with everything making fretting certain things nearly impossible. So, look into the best way to hold the guitar and how you should position your fretting hand on the neck. A few youtube searches may be your best resource. It's best to use the good technique now when you are just starting out to avoid bad habbits you may have to break later.
Last edited by ChicagoJ at Mar 20, 2012,
Was Shawn Lane's hands really that small? I always thought he had average hands
You're complaining because this is your first day playing guitar and you can't play barre chords? :\
Quote by markstephen04
there is an exercise to make your fingers more flexible...

Several actually. Variations of the 1 2 3 4 four fingers in a row chromatic exercises, Freepower's finger independence video on youtube, spider chords/riffs, etc. Take your pick.

As already mentioned, justinguitar.com is a great place to start. He knows what he's doing and conveys the information fairly well. Also, take a look at the lessons and columns sections here on UG. There's lots of helpful info there.

TS, the reason you can't do barre chords yet is not because your fingers are short, it's just a lack of experience and practice. Give it time and you will get there eventually. You can't just pick up a guitar and expect to be able to play, just like you can't get into a boxing ring with Mike Tyson and expect to knock him out. You need to train your hands and fingers to work in ways they're not used to.

P.S.: Your guitar is actually called a G-10. It was my first guitar too. I found it very easy to learn on. It has a pretty thin neck which is good for getting used to the instrument.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by markstephen04
there is an exercise to make your fingers more flexible...

Quote by jadejade128
you can start with the basic chords..i learned guitar when i was 10 years old...familiarize all the chords then i studied how to read tabs..it helped alot.

2 obvious spam bots. they're getting smarter.

But yeah, I'm maybe 6 months of actual practice time in over a year and still have huge trouble with barre chords, so it's definitely not an overnight thing.
Quote by johnson 45
Hey everybody this is my first post.I am 35 just bought an Ibanez gio and roland micro cube.I have always wanted to learn to play and now I'm going to.

The problem is that I'm trying to learn bar chords and I simply cant get the B major!My fingers are very short,is their another way to play it??

Thank you....
That depends on which B Major barre chord you're trying to do.

At the 2nd fret, it's considered an "A" Major open shape.

Nobody can ply that chord the way they try and teach it to you.

This is what they teach you.

E-1 2
B-2 4 (with pinky)
G-3 4 (with ring)
D-4 4 (with middle)
A-5 2
E-6 2 (Obviously the barre is across the second fret).

This is much easier:

E-1 2
B-2 4 ( OK, you barre across the B, G, & D strings
G-3 4 ( with your ring finger. This is easier,
D-4 4 ( there's no real stretch, but you do hold down 3 strings with the ring finger).
A-5 2
E-6 2

In terms of the "E Major open shape barre chord. This would be G Major at the 3rd fret.

E-1 3
B-2 3
G-3 4 (with pinky)
D-4 5 (with ring )
A-5 5 (with middle)
E-6 3

There's no long stretch in this voice. That is until you modify it to a Dom 7th or Major 7th voice.

So, which chord shape are you having trouble with?
Then why not give my second tabbed version of it a shot for a while?

Fingering A Major open with 3 fingers is awkward also, but again, widely taught.

This is taught:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( ring)
G-3 2 ( middle)
D-4 2 ( index)
A-5 0
E-6 x or 0 (A/E in bass = 0)

Give this a try:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( middle )
G-3 2 ( Index )
D-4 2 ( Index again ) (OK, this is a "mini-barre" 2 strings with the index finger.
A-5 0

Give it a week, let us know how you make out.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by andre09
Was Shawn Lane's hands really that small? I always thought he had average hands

nope, his hands were super tiny.
Most importantly, they're hard and at first, they do hurt but you WILL get there and you will be able to play them with ease eventually. It just takes practise. Don't give up. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that jazz.
Quote by Captaincranky

Fingering A Major open with 3 fingers is awkward also, but again, widely taught.

This is taught:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( ring)
G-3 2 ( middle)
D-4 2 ( index)
A-5 0

Give this a try:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( middle )
G-3 2 ( Index )
D-4 2 ( Index again ) (OK, this is a "mini-barre" 2 strings with the index finger.
A-5 0

I spent a long time playing A like that, I used to barre a D chord aswell. It's just far more comfortable to play it the first way, and I have small enough hands to fit it nicely.
Quote by Andalus
I spent a long time playing A like that, I used to barre a D chord aswell. It's just far more comfortable to play it the first way, and I have small enough hands to fit it nicely.
Yes but, you're not the OP, are you....?
Well, sorry, seeing as you posted directly beneath my post I assumed, clearly wrongly, that you were addressing me
Quote by Andalus
Well, sorry, seeing as you posted directly beneath my post I assumed, clearly wrongly, that you were addressing me
Since posts are always registered sequentially, where else could it go?

I was addressing this:
Quote by johnson 45

Thank you....

Mystery solved.
Quote by johnson 45

Thank you....

Hey man, welcome aboard. I started playing around your age and am not much older than you.

By all means, practice barre chords - but they were the last thing I learned how to do properly, and it took forever to nail them. One thing I discovered that helped a lot was that, through practice, I developed calluses not only on my fingertips, but also along the side of my index finger. Once you have that callus, plus the finger strength everyone else mentioned, barre chords will be a lot easier to manage.

Good luck!
I can barre pretty much almost every shape EXCEPT the A shape one.. I just can't "stretch" (finger strength imo) so I can barre the 2nd fret and have the 5th fret (DGB strings) down. Mostly the pinky though, I have small hands haha. Is it ok to just mute the B string (5th fret) and have the barre and 2 strings down (5th fret DG strings)

Edit: Just only a year experience on acoustic (which is harder lol).
Playing guitar since 2010

Quote by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so fuck that guy
Last edited by ThisIsBS at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Since posts are always registered sequentially, where else could it go?

I was addressing this:
Mystery solved.

Bloody well quote it then, or don't get arsey when someone responds thinking it was directed at them.
Quote by ThisIsBS
I can barre pretty much almost every shape EXCEPT the A shape one.. I just can't "stretch" (finger strength imo) so I can barre the 2nd fret and have the 5th fret (DGB strings) down. Mostly the pinky though, I have small hands haha. Is it ok to just mute the B string (5th fret) and have the barre and 2 strings down (5th fret DG strings)

Edit: Just only a year experience on acoustic (which is harder lol).

You're going one fret too far. You only need to stretch it to the 4th fret from the 2nd. And best is to just do it with your ring finger, with index across the 2nd fret and muting the low E and the top part of your ring finger holding down the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings two frets higher.
Quote by Andalus
Bloody well quote it then, or don't get arsey when someone responds thinking it was directed at them.
Don't try and teach me how to act, better men than you have failed.

Forum protocols suggest NOT quoting, unless you're specifically addressing yourself to a particular point.

That said, you aren't the OP. Reasonably speaking, you shouldn't be addressing yourself to how you finger a barre chord, or contravening a quite reasonable suggestion I made, directed toward. the OP. Sometimes, reading the thread all the way through is helpful in avoiding these situations.

People in the 21st century seem narcissistic to the point where they think everything is all about them. (Just a very general, casual observation).

Hopefully, that wasn't too "arsey" for you.
Quote by Captaincranky

E-1 2
B-2 4 (with pinky)
G-3 4 (with ring)
D-4 4 (with middle)
A-5 2
E-6 2 (Obviously the barre is across the second fret).?

This is the way that I play the B Major barre chord; however, it was probably the most difficult barre for me to play consistently. It just takes practice.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Captaincranky
Don't try and teach me how to act, better men than you have failed.

Forum protocols suggest NOT quoting, unless you're specifically addressing yourself to a particular point.

That said, you aren't the OP. Reasonably speaking, you shouldn't be addressing yourself to how you finger a barre chord, or contravening a quite reasonable suggestion I made, directed toward. the OP. Sometimes, reading the thread all the way through is helpful in avoiding these situations.

People in the 21st century seem narcissistic to the point where they think everything is all about them. (Just a very general, casual observation).

Hopefully, that wasn't too "arsey" for you.

Suffice to say, you come across as extremely arrogant and pretentious; let me show you why I thought it was directed at me.

You said:

Quote by Captaincranky
That depends on which B Major barre chord you're trying to do.

At the 2nd fret, it's considered an "A" Major open shape.

Nobody can ply that chord the way they try and teach it to you.

E-1 2
B-2 4 (with pinky)
G-3 4 (with ring)
D-4 4 (with middle)
A-5 2
E-6 2 (Obviously the barre is across the second fret).

This is much easier:

E-1 2
B-2 4 ( OK, you barre across the B, G, & D strings
G-3 4 ( with your ring finger. This is easier,
D-4 4 ( there's no real stretch, but you do hold down 3 strings with the ring finger).
A-5 2
E-6 2

In terms of the "E Major open shape barre chord. This would be G Major at the 3rd fret.

E-1 3
B-2 3
G-3 4 (with pinky)
D-4 5 (with ring )
A-5 5 (with middle)
E-6 3

There's no long stretch in this voice. That is until you modify it to a Dom 7th or Major 7th voice.

So, which chord shape are you having trouble with?

I responded, to point out the flaw in your ignorant assumption that "nobody can play it that way":

Quote by Andalus
^ That's the way I play it, the first fingering.

Then, you seemed to respond to me:

Quote by Captaincranky

This is taught:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( ring)
G-3 2 ( middle)
D-4 2 ( index)
A-5 0

Give this a try:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( middle )
G-3 2 ( Index )
A-5 0

Hence why I thought you were responding to me saying that I play it the "wrong" way.

And yes, that was definitely arsey enough for me. Certainly, everybody here seems to hate you. I can see why.

ETA: Love the extremely irritated tone throughout your post. Genuinely did make me snort with laughter. Also love the assumption that I didn't read the entire thread.
Last edited by Andalus at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Andalus
Suffice to say, you come across as extremely arrogant and pretentious; let me show you why I thought it was directed at me.

You said:

I responded, to point out the flaw in your ignorant assumption that "nobody can play it that way":

Then, you seemed to respond to me:

Hence why I thought you were responding to me saying that I play it the "wrong" way.
So you have a vivid imagination, and I congratulate you on it.

As I explained implicitly previously, "I wasn't talking to you"!

Quote by Andalus
And yes, that was definitely arsey enough for me. Certainly, everybody here seems to hate you. I can see why.
As George W. Bush said on the deck of our aircraft Carrier, "mission accomplished"!

Quote by Andalus
ETA: Love the extremely irritated tone throughout your post. Genuinely did make me snort with laughter. Also love the assumption that I didn't read the entire thread.
Please don't give yourself too much credit. I love to argue, and love using situational adaptive vocabulary, to further those ends.
Quote by Captaincranky
So you have a vivid imagination, and I congratulate you on it.

As I explained implicitly previously, "I wasn't talking to you"!

Make it fucking clear who you're talking to then.
Quote by Captaincranky

As George W. Bush said on the deck of our aircraft Carrier, "mission accomplished"!

Please don't give yourself too much credit. I love to argue, and love using situational adaptive vocabulary, to further those ends.

I'm not giving myself any credit, what I'm doing is arguing a point. Read the thread (irony there huh?) and you'll see that it certainly looks like you're talking to me. Fine if you weren't, no need to get arsey.

Now kindly do one.
Quote by Andalus
Make it fucking clear who you're talking to then..
Now that's "arsey", wouldn't ya say?

Well one thing's for sure, "F*** you, I win", doesn't really shout out that you're an alumni of the Harvard Debating Team.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Now that's "arsey", wouldn't ya say?

Yes, I would, but I'd also call it a suitable response to someone being pedantic about who they're addressing.
Quote by Andalus
Yes, I would, but I'd also call it a suitable response to someone being pedantic about who they're addressing.
And they say, "horse racing is the sport of kings", when we all know it's pedantry.
Quote by Captaincranky

This is taught:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( ring)
G-3 2 ( middle)
D-4 2 ( index)
A-5 0

Give this a try:

e-1 0
B-2 2 ( middle )
G-3 2 ( Index )
A-5 0

Regarding the Open A shape, I've found that playing it this way is easier for me:

e-1 0
B-2 2 (ring)
G-3 2 (index)
D-4 2 (middle)
A-5 0
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Vecheka
Regarding the Open A shape, I've found that playing it this way is easier for me:
But you do agree, you did have to try both ways to find that out? Would you also concede, that fingering possibly isn't right for everybody?

Personally, I use the index finger barre for the major chord, then use ring and index fingers for the 7th, and index barre + pinky, for the Sus 4th.

Of course, "your results, (and approach) may vary". No harm in that.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 28, 2012,
Page 1 of 2