Quote by kaptkegan
James Muller
Mike Miller
Alan Holdsworth
Vai

Seems to me like everyone sets holdsworth as a huge influence... I like him, but i just cant seem to get into his music like i do with guthrie and shawn... Any ideas of songs i shuld check out? Does he have that sunny wibe like howe and govan?
Quote by Usernames sucks
Seems to me like everyone sets holdsworth as a huge influence... I like him, but i just cant seem to get into his music like i do with guthrie and shawn... Any ideas of songs i shuld check out? Does he have that sunny wibe like howe and govan?

http://youtu.be/uJF5zB7YcXc

He's more complex than someone like Govan. Not to say Govan isn't talented, but Holdsworth's note choice and chops are inhuman. Totally inhuman.

EDIT: Also, I added links to the other post.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Last edited by kaptkegan at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by Usernames sucks

It takes some time to develop an appreciation for Allan Holdsworth's music. The music is very complex and instrumentally involved. I didn't like Whiskey or beer the first time I tried it. Hopefully you'll come back to him and discover why he's revered by so many musicians and guitarists.

Maybe check out the song Ruhkukah. That was the first Holdsworth song I heard.

Check out:
Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech. Always loved this song. www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvY4Jrn2TA
Steve Morse (as mentioned)
Al Di Meola (as mentioned)
Jimmy Herring (As mentioned)

As far as Shawn Lane, listen to this. With Jonas Hellborg. Hopefully you can appreciate the originality and the incredible quality of this music. I also encourage checking out his stuff with Hellborg and Jeff Sipe if you already haven't. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5sEvC0SpY
Quote by Usernames sucks
Do you know about any good fusion guitarists like guthrie govan, shawn lane and greg howe?

John Scofield, Wayne Krantz. Not sure if you'll dig it, though. Their music can really bend the ear.
Brett Garsed, Joel Hoekstra, T.J. Helmerich, Scott Henderson.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by jocvtrhythgd
Seems to me like everyone sets holdsworth as a huge influence... I like him, but i just cant seem to get into his music like i do with guthrie and shawn... Any ideas of songs i shuld check out?

This was one of the first Holdsworth songs I'd heard when I was in HS. A buddy let me borrow the album this is on, Hard Hat Area. I think it's one his more accessible songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVtYBeZlSQ

Like it's been stated, his music is not easily accessible to ones taste upon first hearing it. It's very complex. It's all odd time. There's time signature changes all over the place. The music is very busy with all the instruments playing different things. It can be overwhelming if you're not acquired to it. It is certainly acquired taste like some of the finest foods or art. That's the best analogy I can make. If it doesn't suit you now, come back to it when you need to take your musical tastes to the next level. If nothing else, just focus in on his playing and what he's doing.
^ that was an adbot, don't you know?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.