Vibrating magnetic tattoos may one day be used to alert mobile phone users to phone calls and text messages if Nokia follows up a patent application.

The Finnish company has described the idea in a filing to the US Patent and Trademark Office.

It describes tattooing, stamping or spraying "ferromagnetic" material onto a user's skin and then pairing it with a mobile device.

It suggests different vibrations could be used to create a range of alerts.

The application lists Cambridge-based Zoran Radivojevic as the innovation's lead inventor. It was filed last week and was brought to light by the Unwired View news site.

It suggests a magnetic marking could be attached to either a user's arm, abdominal area, finger or fingernail.

"Examples of... applications may be low battery indication, received message, received call, calendar alert, change of profile, eg based on timing, change of time zone, or any other," the filing reads.

"The magnetic field may cause vibration of one short pulse, multiple short pulses, few long pulses... strong pulses, weak pulses and so on."

The filing also suggests that the magnetised marking could be used as an identity check. It says that by picking a certain shape the user could create a "specific magnetic impedance" - effectively their own magnetic fingerprint.

It says this could act as a "password" and gives the example of a laptop refusing to display content on its screen unless it verifies its user is close by.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17447086

That's slightly... weird/awesome/scary. I don't know what to think. How useful is it really? How much do you need to stay "connected"? Would you get one?

I get the idea that it can be used as a "password", that's pretty nifty, but I still wouldn't get a tattoo like that. I don't want to be "connected" all the time.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well, it's only a matter of time till anti-christ.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Dirge Humani
Nokia is Finnish?

But people in the US are more likely to buy it.
I finally have a good reason to get my dick tatooed!

But that's pretty cool, anyway. One step closer to omni-tools.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Mar 20, 2012,
What the article didn't mention is that Nokia also patented the use of nail polish and stickers in the same manner. Something that sounds a lot more useful.

And I might be mistaken but the use of ferromagnetic materials mean it doesn't matter what the tattoo looks like or what the pattern is(as long as it's big enough to hold the required amount of metal probably). This means you can tattoo anything you want and just use the Nokia feature as a little added bonus.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
That's probably one of the stupidest, most retarded ideas I think I've ever heard
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Can't believe I'm the first to say this:

Imma put it on my balls.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Hate the idea.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Guess where I'm getting it.
(I'll act as I didn't get ninja'd a few posts and 4 minutes ago)
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Ferromagnetics and MRI scans don't go well together. Just sayin'.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Hope it's removable cause if you need to do an MRI it'll be painfull
Have you run your fingers down the wall...

And have you felt your neck skin crawl...
When you're searching for the light ?
Quote by SG_dave
I wouldn't want to be connected all the time like that.

In fact, this just sounds like a way to track people. I'M GOING OFF THE GRID!

Come on Dave, fix that sig! It's been long enough.

OT: Could this mess with things like metal detectors and, like has been said, MRI's? I could see some good and bad things with this.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Wouldn't a ferro magnetic tattoo be inconvenient if the person needs to get a CAT-scan (sp?)
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by captaincrunk
They shouldn't even be able to patent this.

Que?
Quote by Zoot Allures
The world is not split into black and white absolutes and there is a lot more to this than 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
So I take it most people here wouldn't get one?

I don't think many people mine and your generation would, but the younger ones probably would. They don't seem to think about potential privacy invasions and what information they reveal.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Why would I want a telephone that can play games?

Why would I want to send a written message from my telephone?

Why would I want a portable telephone?