Haven't been in here for awhile! So, I released an album (Parallels, link in my profile) and jumped right into starting another one. I've got about five songs done for it, but I wanted to get a little bit of feedback on one.

This is called Two-Minute Hate, and I think those of you who know my typical style of writing will be surprised.

http://snd.sc/GBmsop

C4C as always!
Dude I feel high listening to this.

Hehe kidding. I'll be honest, at first, with the intro thing, I was skeptical. but man I'm glad I listened to it all, it's pretty cool!! I'm currently listening to some other stuff you did.

There is something with the sound not being perfect, but as weird as it is, it fits the mood, giving it a nice feel and texture.

Currently digging Two-Minute Hate, My Life Before The War and Crash. Crash is insane, definitely my style.

Here's the link to my thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29349953
DeadlySurprise.com
Nice organ sound, but felt like the vocals could have been louder.. some nice lyrics. Reminds me a little of Radiohead throughout the whole thing (you and whose army?), but mostly with the vocals.

I really liked it actually... but that last part could benefit from a little more work. The new sound isn't pulled off as well as it could be. Anyway, I think you've got a really promising voice and the song here wasn't at all bad. Excellent job dude!

Could crit my new one if you want, although it's extremely rough compared to this.. and anything else for that matter xD
Last edited by Piñata at Mar 20, 2012,
This was cool. The idea of just vocals and organ for the first half is different and interesting. I do have a personal problem with drums with heavy reverb on them though. That's probably just me though and definitely neglect it if it's what you're going for. It's just that it reminds me of something dated/ from the 80's. And yeah maybe the vocals could be a little louder, and they sound a little flat in some parts.
Overall I like the song. The lyrics are meaningful yet simple in arrangement which makes it appealing in that you are saying a lot but in a cool basic delivery. I do like the organ sound in the beginning but I feel that it could use something else. Im thinking maybe some faint drums with a slight military... marching kind of sound/vibe to it added in around the 1:17 mark would help with the slow build up into the 1:47 part where it picks up. Also I could picture a nice little violin sound to accompany the drums between the 1:17-1:47 part. Its just that the organ sound goes on for a good amount of time and then suddenly it picks up, but then you're kind of waiting to see whats next but, at that point, the song ends. Im also thinking an outro reminiscent of the intro would help prolong the song a bit more and bring the listener a moment to kind of gather what they just heard as the song makes its exit. But thats me, Ive never been a fan of a story that just ends abruptly. And to be honest, its seems like this song was treated more as filler material for the greater good of a full album. However, with right musical arrangement I feel it could be so much more. You're definitely on the right track, but if it were up to me I would add in a few things here and there to give it more life, more of an opportunity to overcome the "hate" for which the song is titled.
cut. it. out.
Last edited by Dave Coulier at Mar 23, 2012,
^ That is actually exactly what's intended. In 1984 the Two-Minutes Hate is a tool used by INGSOC to control the populace and make them believe that there is an outer enemy who would not only subdue Oceania but would completely destroy its population just because they can. Its abrupt because its never ending, it sounds like filler because it, like the Two-Minutes Hate from 1984, is a tool.

EDIT: I don't usually like posting on my recordings because I don't like leading people in one direction or the other as to what the lyrics or the song as a whole meant, but I thought that was something that needed to be addressed.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by L2112Lif
^ That is actually exactly what's intended. In 1984 the Two-Minutes Hate is a tool used by INGSOC to control the populace and make them believe that there is an outer enemy who would not only subdue Oceania but would completely destroy its population just because they can. Its abrupt because its never ending, it sounds like filler because it, like the Two-Minutes Hate from 1984, is a tool.

Ive never read the book so I can't really comment on the relationship of the songs intentions compared to Georgie Orwell's classic.

That being said, from a musical standpoint, I just feel it could use just a little more auditory appeal that could add to the effect you are going for. Merely suggestions mind you, based on my opinion. And for me, what better way to express something that is never ending than to end the song with the intro?
cut. it. out.
Last edited by Dave Coulier at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by Dave Coulier
Ive never read the book so I can't really comment on the relationship of the songs intentions compared to Georgie Orwell's classic.

That being said, from a musical standpoint, I just feel it could use just a little more auditory appeal that could add to the effect you are going for. Merely suggestions mind you, based on my opinion. And for me, what better way to express something that is never ending than to end the song with the intro?

That is a good point, and its usually something that I'd do, but I... I dunno, I feel like it wraps well on the chorus myself, and I was trying to limit the running time to less than three minutes.

EDIT: The other arrangement ideas I like, getting a sparse violin part to play during the second verse I like. Not really big on the light drumming because I don't have the equipment to do that (My drumset is really not touch sensitive at all. I tried setting the triggers up to accept a wider range of dynamics, but its really either splat, midrange, or barely audible wire rattle).
Last edited by L2112Lif at Mar 23, 2012,
Hey man I did the song. Wish the vocals were a little higher in the mix. The harmonies are good. The spot where the distorted guitar comes in seems a little cluttered for some reason. Nice work though with a little polishing I think it's ready.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528269
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
pretty good. The voice seems a bit far away imo.
The part where you sing loud bothered me a bit, because of the volume contrast and not being perfectly in tune.
When the other instruments come in, it seems a bit too much and the mixing could be better.
I would have liked it better if you would have added the other instruments a bit more subtle.
Vocals for verses need to be louder in the mix, the chorus vocals are great. Love the harmonies (those high harmony notes were my favorite. Lots of personality there.) You've got a good song, but I agree with a couple others here about having another instrument or two for the first half before the drums kick in. It seems just a little bit bland as is. Good song, but can be improved a lot.

Crit for crit?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523148