I recently decided on a H&K tubemeister 18 and I also plan on getting a custom avatar 2x12 vintage cabinet. (I'll be putting greenbacks in it) One of the options you need to choose is the Ohms on the input/out jack and in the speakers. I know little to know thing about the concept of ohms except that it means resistance and that the cab should be greater than the head. Does this mean the cab has more or less ohms than the head? Also, I can't find what ohms the H&K has. What ohms should I get in the cab speakers/jack? And do the two speakers ohms add up ex. 2 8 ohm greenbacks=16 ohms?

If you can answer any of these questions it would be much appreciated
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
The cab and the head should have the same impedance

Also for your second question it depends on how you wire it you add them together if it is in series so 16 ohms but if it is in parallel then it would be 4 ohms
Last edited by killerkev321 at Mar 20, 2012,
You can put 2 speakers in parallel for 1/2 or in series for 2x. So you could get 2 16 ohm speakers and wire them up in parallel for 8 ohms. Or get 2 4 ohm speakers and wire them in series for 8 ohms. That's probably your best option. Lastly you could get 2 8 ohm speakers and wire them for either 4 or 16 ohms (parallel/series).

The ohms should be equal or greater(w/power loss) than for SS amps only. They should be equal for tube amps.
How do I know how many ohms the tubemeister has? Also, how do you change from parallel to together? Thank for the replies so far
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Heres all the answers to your questions...

The tubemiester I believe can do an 8-16ohm load on its amp, generally most cabs are 16ohms and then when you chain two cabs together you drop the resistance to 8ohms. With resistance if you hook your resistors (in this case the speakers) in series, positive terminal of one speaker to the negative terminal of the other speaker and then hook the remaining positive terminal of one speaker and the negative terminal of the other speaker you will increase the effective resistance, so if both speakers have an 8ohm resistance in series they will actually act as a 16ohm resistor.

Now the wonders of physics come into play, and if you take your same speaker setup as described above and now hook the speakers up in parallel, so the positive and negative terminals of one driver connected to the corresponding positive and negative terminals of the second driver the overall resistance of the circuit will decrease. So if your two 8ohm loads are connected in parallel you will actually have a working resistance of 4ohms.

So in your case if your looking to make a 2x12 cab I would say make it a 16ohm cab and just get two 8ohm greenbacks and connect them in series to make the working resistance 16ohms and you should be fine. I am not 100% sure but I believe the tubemiester knows if it has a 8 or 16 ohm load on it or it will have a switch or second output marked to change between 8 or 16 ohms.

Dont worry about the jacks or cables the resistance is impossible to control in these sections and will not effect the overall performance of your amp, the biggest concern is the actual load of the drivers as thats how the amp determines how much gain its supposed to make. If you were to hook up a 2ohm load to an amp that requires a minimum 8ohm load you will basically cause the amp to make WAY more power then its internals are capable of handling and POOF out comes a cloud of smoke and the amp is a brick.

Always always always make sure your resistances are correct it takes no time or effort at all with an improper load on an amplifier to actually toast the amp, its probably the biggest concern anyone should have, aside from like water damage!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Ne14t, you are a god. Thank you
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Quote by JoeFlips
Ne14t, you are a god. Thank you

Hahaha thanks, I rarely browse the forums anymore, caught your post on the front page and was like oh I know the answer to this!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5