Ive just bought Pro-Tools MP with Fast Track Pro audio interface, I have a usb running into my computer from the Fast Track and an XLR cord running from the Fast Track into my JM47a mic, No matter what I do I am not getting any input from the mic to my computer, please help? I am very new to this
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
just tell him "no chick is gonna lay you if you serenade her with a playstation controller"
What DAW are you using?
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Quote by ultimate-rocker
What DAW are you using?

Sorry im really new to this, are you talking about Pro Tools MP? or Fast Track Pro? Im not totally sure what DAW is :/
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
just tell him "no chick is gonna lay you if you serenade her with a playstation controller"
Quote by ultimate-rocker
What DAW are you using?

Quote by vidieowiz4
Ive just bought Pro-Tools MP

To answer the question though, check to make sure that sound is getting to the interface (idk if there are any indicators on that particular model) Assuming it is, the problem is between the interface and the DAW. In that case, check all of your preferences and setup options in the DAW, check that you are using the right track type, and make sure it is record enabled.
Quote by Darkness in Zero
To answer the question though, check to make sure that sound is getting to the interface (idk if there are any indicators on that particular model) Assuming it is, the problem is between the interface and the DAW. In that case, check all of your preferences and setup options in the DAW, check that you are using the right track type, and make sure it is record enabled.

I think it might be an issue with the mic as I have never been able to use it with no speakers with XLR input so im not sure how to check :/
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
Quote by vidieowiz4
I think it might be an issue with the mic as I have never been able to use it with no speakers with XLR input so im not sure how to check :/

Use a different mic or a different mic cable. If that fixes the problem, then whatever you replaced in the signal path is the faulty piece. If that doesn't fix the problem, then the issue lies later in the signal path. The two most likely places are the interface or the actual computer program (the DAW)
Just looked up your interface...when you make a noise into the mic, does the green light on the interface come on?

No, the mic and the cable are fresh out of the box though, maybe theres something about the mic i didnt know? again its a JM47a condenser mic, Ive been googling for any kind of manual for it but i can't find anything
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
Quote by vidieowiz4
No, the mic and the cable are fresh out of the box though, maybe theres something about the mic i didnt know? again its a JM47a condenser mic, Ive been googling for any kind of manual for it but i can't find anything

Okay, first to trouble shoot all the stupid questions:
Is the power to the interface plugged in?
Is the power switch on?
Is the cable plugged in correctly to the front of the interface?
Have you tried turning the gain knob up?
If you are certain you have done all of those things, the next question is are there any buttons on the mic?
Okay, first to trouble shoot all the stupid questions:
Is the power to the interface plugged in?
Is the power switch on?
Is the cable plugged in correctly to the front of the interface?
Have you tried turning the gain knob up?
If you are certain you have done all of those things, the next question is are there any buttons on the mic?

the Fast Track interface is on and plugged into computer with usb, Ive tried both the Xlr inputs for the mic, on the mic there are 2 switches niether of which I know what they do but ive tried them in all positions, one switch is between a straight line and a line that makes a 45 degree angle and the other says 0-10db.
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
If it is a condenser mic do you have phantom power?
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Quote by Nirvanafanjonny
If it is a condenser mic do you have phantom power?

I dont believe so, it doesnt have a manual but I cant find anything online that says it does
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
Well condenser mic's require external power source call phantom power to run them, so that may very well be the source of your problem if your interface doesn't have phantom power built in
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Quote by Nirvanafanjonny
Well condenser mic's require external power source call phantom power to run them, so that may very well be the source of your problem if your interface doesn't have phantom power built in

So how an I power it if it doesnt have phantom power? It only has the XLR for input, nowhere for batteries either
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
just found site where it says its phantom powered
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
I figured it out, they mic doesnt have phantom power, but the DAW has a phantom power setting, Its working now, thank you everyone
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82