Page 1 of 3
So I was at the local Civics Day yesterday and the Color Guard came in and did their spiel and everyone said the pledge of allegiance afterward. I've been struck by it before, but it hit me particularly hard yesterday. I was buffeted with a very uneasy feeling about all of the mindless patriotism. The uniformity of everyone saying the words with blank thoughtless stares, the clockwork motions of the color guard wearing dull, emotionless expressions: I realized it was very cult-like. Now I understand that having some pride in your country can be great and all, but the whole ordeal of reciting the pledge at every town meeting, the national anthem at every sporting event, and all of the nationalistic holidays that America has seems a bit over the top. It all feels very...1984.

tl;dr: Does America's hyper-nationalism carry a cult-like fashion and is it eerily similar to the early stages of Nazi Germany and North Korea?
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Yes, and that's why the rest of the world doesn't really like america.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
I really don't see what practical purpose extreme patriotism serves at all, and the fact that we had to recite the pledge of allegiance every single school day, kindergarten through high school, is just plain absurd.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
So what is there that we can do to combat it?
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Yes, and that's why the rest of the world doesn't really like america.

Exactly this. Who the **** needs to sing a national anthem before every single event? The thing is, America comes across as way to proud of itself. It makes America seem like a very arrogant nation because TBH there are many country that are just and nice as America and have a much better history (rather than winning one war and deciding that they own the world) and they don't show off their amazingness every time there's a stupid event.
Yes. That is EXACTLY how the world sees america and it is why almost every other country also hates them. As for it being similar to early nazis, didn't the government just pass a law little while ago about classifying everyone as a terrorist and having the right to abduct anyone, any time, to any place for an indefinite amount of time?
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by Fridge101
Yes. That is EXACTLY how the world sees america and it is why almost every other country also hates them. As for it being similar to early nazis, didn't the government just pass a law little while ago about classifying everyone as a terrorist and having the right to abduct anyone, any time, to any place for an indefinite amount of time?

The NDAA 2012? Yes, but that part was only a small paragraph with vague wording and that aspect of it has been revised or repealed or something since then.
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Colour*
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
You guys call that hypernationalism? I guess if you're not 14 and hate the living shit out of your home country that = hypernationalism.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Fridge101

No, they never passed anything like that. It was vaguely related to that and people (like you) that either didn't read or couldn't comprehend it blew it out of proportion and twisted around what it said.

And GodOfCheesecake, you were not forced to recite the pledge of allegiance. You were asked to. The only rule about it I've ever found is that if you don't want to recite it, don't disrupt those who do.

I think the reason the world doesn't like us is that we are a just one huge troll. The more you say you dislike us, the more we do just so we get a good reaction from you.

/America

EDIT:
Quote by AtaBorMan
Colour*

*Color. It's part of a name, and you therefore can't botch the spelling like you normally would. Just like Dream Theater. Their r comes after the e, just like it should, if you change it, it's no longer their name.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by AtaBorMan
Colour*

I should have named it Colo(u)r Guard
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Quote by guitarmaniac88
you were not forced to recite the pledge of allegiance. You were asked to. The only rule about it I've ever found is that if you don't want to recite it, don't disrupt those who do.
There's more to it than that. You become a social pariah if you decide not to recite the pledge. Y'know, peer pressure and shit.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by FishStik
There's more to it than that. You become a social pariah if you decide not to recite the pledge. Y'know, peer pressure and shit.

Not so much in school as it was during the Civics Day thing in front of all sorts of elected officials and administrators
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
inb4zoot
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I've never heard of Civics Day before. At first I thought it was a day dedicated to Honda Civics.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by necrosis1193
inb4zoot

You're so witty and cool, I want to be just like you.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by FishStik
I've never heard of Civics Day before. At first I thought it was a day dedicated to Honda Civics.

I'm not sure if it's held elsewhere, but it's when a bunch of elected officials from around the county and school administrators show the top government students around and explain their jobs and then there's a giant luncheon with a program.
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Quote by JamSessionFreak
You're so witty and cool, I want to be just like you.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193

I'm somewhat interested in what Zoot has to say about this, but I have a feeling I already know.
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Quote by shavorules42
tl;dr: Does America's hyper-nationalism carry a cult-like fashion and is it eerily similar to the early stages of Nazi Germany and North Korea?

No, I don't think it's anything near those two examples. Compared to a lot of countries America's patriotism isn't anything special. Compared to - let's say - Sweden you're incredibly patriotic. Like... really patriotic.

Overall I think America is patriotic, but not "overly" patriotic. You've got groups with different views, though, as always. Some not so really patriotic, and some that really are.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm not sure which of the always shit on America guys or the hyperdefensive of America guys are more annoying.

OT: Patriotism is annoying but just because you have to hear the same dumbass song before every ballgame doesn't make this Nazi Germany.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Mar 20, 2012,
My sister is the color guard captain at her school.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by shavorules42
I'm somewhat interested in what Zoot has to say about this, but I have a feeling I already know.

It's probably gonna be about it being a conspiracy that the government uses hypernationalism as a way to force evils like religon and capitalism down the working classes' throat, and teach us how to play chords wrong
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by theogonia777
My sister is the color guard captain at her school ugly.
I'm so sorry.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I'm so sorry.

For what? Your inability to strikeout words properly?

And as Jewchords would say: It's good that she's ugly, that way I've no competition for her.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Mar 20, 2012,
I think so. America's trying to convert all the other countries to be democratic and capitalistic, butting into places we have no business being in. I think we're getting away with it because we're being slow and transitioning into that mentality, it's not like WWII where the changes were practically immediate.
Quote by CodChick
I think so. America's trying to convert all the other countries to be democratic and capitalistic, butting into places we have no business being in. I think we're getting away with it because we're being slow and transitioning into that mentality, it's not like WWII where the changes were practically immediate.

Wow, ok, that was pretty anti-america. Why do you hate the place so much? Is it the freedom? Is freedom why you hate America? So far you haven't given any reason to why you hate America so much, maybe you should instead of just blindly hating on The Greatest Country on Earth.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by element4433
I'm so sorry.

Quote by Kensai
Wow, ok, that was pretty anti-america. Why do you hate the place so much? Is it the freedom? Is freedom why you hate America? So far you haven't given any reason to why you hate America so much, maybe you should instead of just blindly hating on The Greatest Country on Earth.

6/10
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
It's good to be proud.

America is too proud.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by shavorules42
So I was at the local Civics Day yesterday and the Color Guard came in and did their spiel and everyone said the pledge of allegiance afterward. I've been struck by it before, but it hit me particularly hard yesterday. I was buffeted with a very uneasy feeling about all of the mindless patriotism. The uniformity of everyone saying the words with blank thoughtless stares, the clockwork motions of the color guard wearing dull, emotionless expressions: I realized it was very cult-like. Now I understand that having some pride in your country can be great and all, but the whole ordeal of reciting the pledge at every town meeting, the national anthem at every sporting event, and all of the nationalistic holidays that America has seems a bit over the top. It all feels very...1984.

"Hyper-nationalism"

It's bad to have pride in your country?
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Quote by shavorules42
Paragraphs.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by StillSublime
"Hyper-nationalism"

It's bad to have pride in your country?

No, it's not bad. But having too much (like the States) is.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
No, it's not bad. But having too much (like the States) is.

Singing the national anthem is too much? Why have the national anthem, then?
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Quote by StillSublime
Singing the national anthem is too much? Why have the national anthem, then?

No, I'm not just talking about this one event. But the United States have too much pride in general.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
No, I'm not just talking about this one event. But the United States have too much pride in general.

>Canada

I think it's because you're Canadian and nobody cares about Canada.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Whenever that happens to me I feel like I'm in the middle of a propaganda documentary.

I don't hate the U.S., but I hate the concept of patriotism, especially a certain mindset that has branched off from it (American exceptionalism). One of things I dislike most about the U.S.
Page 1 of 3