is there any muscle that makes downpicking easier if we build it ?? the arm ? the forarm ? does a strong arm/forarm make downpicking easier , faster .... ?
i know what you're getting at. whatever muscles are involved are best built by practicing down picking fast.
Quote by Aralingh
Muscle is strength, and that has little to do with speed

yh but it has to do with endurance, you can't play fast for a long time if your muscles aren't trained to do it
Guitar playing in general aint really about building muscles, more of using them more efficiently and relaxed.

Although i assume you want an answer to your question, the main muscles for down picking are located in the wrist area. The best way to practice downpicking is by simply downpicking, and doing so as relaxed you can with as small motions you possibly can.

That being said, always go for the big (good) 3:

Relaxation
Accuracy
Efficiency

Practice with these and speed will come. Speed without anyone of these 3 is in my opinion, utterly useless.

Also avoid the big (bad) 3:
Tension
Sloppiness
PAIN
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Mar 20, 2012,
Depends how you pick. If you use from the elbow then the forearm is used and you can train that in terms of bulking it, but if you use the wrist - which is easier and more efficient imo - then you can only train it through playing... Or extended periods of masturbation
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Maybe its just me but after playing for a while the muscles in my right arm feel bigger than the ones in my left, but to learn how to downpick fast just learn Blackened at 200 bpm. And Red Bull would probably help...that or masturbation.
Haven't posted in techniques forever, but someones going to hurt themselves here.

You do not need to develop muscle to downpick faster. All of your picking should come from your wrist, which should be very relaxed. If you tense up at all, revise your technique, or you're going to end up with tendinitis or carpel tunnel syndrome.

Practice picking without tension, and the speed will come as you get more acquainted to the motion. This repetitive motion builds short twitch fibers in the muscles that you do use, which are what you need to play faster.

In contrast, working out with something such as a bench press builds mostly long twitch fibers, which allow you to move more weight, but with less speed, whereas short twitch let you move small weight quickly.

Don't hurt yourself.

If your arm gets tired from downpicking, you're doing it wrong. Straight up relearn how to pick, or always be limited by doing larger motions than needed along with less stamina.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Mar 20, 2012,
Look into buying a powerball, they're cheap and also an effective exercise tool - more importantly they build strength and dexterity in your wrist (fingers, biceps, triceps, shoulders also). Of course, playing more guitar will do the job.
Quote by deathofagod
Look into buying a powerball, they're cheap and also an effective exercise tool - more importantly they build strength and dexterity in your wrist (fingers, biceps, triceps, shoulders also). Of course, playing more guitar will do the job.

Power ball will not work.

Whats more complex ?

Playing guitar or squeezing a ball ?
Quote by gman128
yh but it has to do with endurance, you can't play fast for a long time if your muscles aren't trained to do it

Playing guitar =/= weight lifting, when lifting weights your muscles are under heavy pressure and that's why muscle provides the endurance, playing guitar on the other hand, the right way, should be almost effortless, therefore it's about muscle memory, not strength or endurance, though the last one plays a certain part.
why only down-pick?! That's how Dave Amato (Reo Speedwagon) Plays, no matter how fast you hear Dave Amato play, that's 100% downpicking... He's from Framingham, Massachusetts, so is my Dad (who also plays guitar), my guitar teacher (George McCann, Lead Guitarist for the James Montgomery Band), & a whole bunch of other friends of my dad...like the drummer of the band my dad's working with right now, His name is Tom Verardi (I hope I spelled that right), & he was the drummer for this band called "One Way Out", Amato was one of the guitar players...All Down Strokes...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by mrbabo91
Power ball will not work.

Whats more complex ?

Playing guitar or squeezing a ball ?

Not squeezing. - http://www.powerballs.com/works.php?m=Works

I have one, it's pretty cool, but if your guitar is near by use it instead. Although I always bring it out if I have no access to a geet.
Paul Gilbert... He can melt faces off with his alternate picking and he's not muscular or whatever.
Speed is all about being relaxed. Any tension, then you're doing it wrong.
Quote by adel.light94
is there any muscle that makes downpicking easier if we build it ?? the arm ? the forarm ? does a strong arm/forarm make downpicking easier , faster .... ?

No, no muscle. All you need is consistency which is developed over time building speed like one would normally build speed.

You can practice in faster bursts and do fever bars to get the feeling of how it feels to do fast picking even though it might be just for 2 - 3 bars.