Hi guys! I am currently looking out for a new guitar. I have been playing for nearly 10 years now and have saved up enough to finally get a dream of a guitar. I mainly play metal and rock. Stuff like Ozzy, Megadeth etc...

I have an Orange Rockerverb 100 mkii running through a Hughes and Kettner cab with V30s (although I may be swapping the cab at some point). Anyway, I've been looking at the ESP Horizon fr-ii. I've heard great things but am stuck between pickups. EMG 81-85 or Seymour Duncan TB-4 "JB" (B) / Seymour Duncan SH-1 "59" (N). I have never used active pickups before like the EMGs. I am hoping to try before I buy but really dont know, so any help would be great. Also, any other guitar suggestions would be great .

Pinch harmonics....I want really good pinch harmonics. I've had them before but was using someone elses gear. With my Orange rockerverb, I want a guitar to help me pull these off as well as a tone that enables me to play heavy thrash as well as Ozzy and Judas Priest style metal....is my Orange capable of this? I've not used it enough yet but when I played it in the store it seemed to do the trick...however that was with a better guitar with better pickups.

Thanks in advanced guys....I hope you will help me make a worthy purchase !
youll love active emgs. the clean guys arguements are null and void if you get the 81/60 set.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The Orange would be fine.

And either the Duncans or EMGS would be fine. I'd go for EMGs myself, but they're slightly more hassle - all the internal wiring has to change with EMGs, but the innards stay standard with the Duncans.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Your Orange should be alright, its not exactly a 'metal' amp but you can get some big tones out of it. If you feel like you're lacking still then a Tube Screamer should give you more than enough power.

Either way, as a user of EMG's for about 5 years i would strongly advise you not buy them. They're about as diverse as a hard shart. My main choice would be a set of Bareknuckle pickups, they have a huge range to suit almost any play style and all are extremely diverse. Dont get caught up in this myth that active pups are better for metal tones, that isnt the case at all.

As for guitars, it really depends on your budget. If you actually are a guitarist of 10 years then i wouldnt suggest you purchase something like an LTD. Just save a little extra and buy yourself a beautiful custom built. Go with Bernie Rico/ Invictus/ Mayones and you really cant go wrong. Sure they cost an arm and a leg but they are totally worth it and will last you another ten years!!
Thanks very much for the quick response so far .

How much more of a hassle are EMGs/active pickups exactly? Besides having to change the battery every so often?

I have the jemini distortion pedal which has a tube screamer on one side....that should help out if I want even more gain. I did try out Engl, Blackstar, Mesa Boogie and Diezel heads.....man I would love a Diezel but they are well expensive and I could only find one supplier 5 hours away from me which put me off as if anything went wrong...well you get the idea lol. Anyway, Orange was the only amp which I liked at the time.

Back on topic, mr7string, the ESP horizon fr-ii is not LTD. Its ESP standard series, which is the best. Maybe a custom built one later on when I know exactly what I want....I will give them a look anyhow. I dont believe active pups are the best for metal...I just dont know without trying them out if they are for me. I just want opinions on what would suit the style I'm looking for. So keep them coming . I have an Ibanez prestige for more toned down styles of music, so this guitar would primarily be for metal.

Thanks again!
Last edited by 8564dan at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by 8564dan
the ESP horizon fr-ii is not LTD. Its ESP standard series, which is the best.

To be honest, my experience with LTD/ESP and schecter (owned and built by the same guys) have always been pretty average, out of the three id say shecter were the best shout for some reason.

If you want a real nice guitar without breaking the bank too bad then have a look over at Caprison. Amazing axes for pretty decent prices
Quote by mr7string
To be honest, my experience with LTD/ESP and schecter (owned and built by the same guys) have always been pretty average, out of the three id say shecter were the best shout for some reason.

If you want a real nice guitar without breaking the bank too bad then have a look over at Caprison. Amazing axes for pretty decent prices

Thanks for your input . How about Les Pauls? I've never used one but have heard some great sounds from them.
LP's are a tough one, if you get legit gibson then you're going to be spending a grand on a guitar that should cost you maybe £500. Gibson fanboys will argue me to hell but the fact is you're paying for a brand name :/

Granted if you spend + £2k on an LP then it will be an extraordinary axe but for that price you could do a lot better.

If you go outside of gibson then chances are they will be terrible cheap LP rip offs that companies have put into production to try and offer a cheaper alternative to Gibson/ Epi when they were all the rage ten years ago but apart from that you will strugle to find an affordable LP that will play what you paid for it
If i was you id have a look at Agile

www.rondomusic.com

Great affordable guitars made by hand by a few guys in a factory. For the price and build quality you really cant go wrong!!
Quote by 8564dan
EMG 81-85 or Seymour Duncan TB-4 "JB" (B) / Seymour Duncan SH-1 "59" (N). I have never used active pickups before like the EMGs.

Both GREAT choices. I think a trembucker would be better for metal than the JB. I think Seymour Duncan Blackouts would be A LOT better than EMGs or the Seymour Duncan SH-1/JB
Quote by mr7string
If i was you id have a look at Agile

www.rondomusic.com

Great affordable guitars made by hand by a few guys in a factory. For the price and build quality you really cant go wrong!!

I second this. Or an ESP/LTD.