I've been reading on the net that the HT5 1X10 that I've got is not a particularly great speaker. If I upgrade to a better quality 1x12 will that bring a noticeable improvement to the sound quality or am I clutching at straws here?

Going even further is there any point in a 2x12 with a 5 watt amp?

Many thanks in advance for the constant stream of brilliant advice you get on this forum!!
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Mar 20, 2012,
It'll make a nice difference. You'll notice a lot more oomph out of a 12 incher. As for more speakers, sure. You're moving more and more air each time. I ran my champ through a 4x12 for a while and it was wonderful.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Chargrill3d
I've been reading on the net that the HT5 1X10 that I've got is not a particularly great speaker.

not impressive, but better than some others.

Quote by Chargrill3d
If I upgrade to a better quality 1x12 will that bring a noticeable improvement to the sound quality or am I clutching at straws here?

it certainly could. i'd go with something like a G12M-25/scumback or a weber silver bell. those are my preferences.

you may like a V30 if you favor a more 'out-spoken' and present tone (it does modern sounds pretty and is pretty versatile for some other genres), or something like a G12K-100 may be preferable (more stable low end for drop tunings, tight sound)

Quote by Chargrill3d

sure. at the very least you get the ability to expand your speaker choices and mix two speaker together.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Chargrill3d

yes

you just need to keep an eye on what you're spending, and what else you could get for the same money if you were to sell your original amp and add it to how much the cabinet costs.

it should improve the tone, but if you can just buy a better amp which already has good speakers for the same amount of money...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yes

you just need to keep an eye on what you're spending, and what else you could get for the same money if you were to sell your original amp and add it to how much the cabinet costs.

it should improve the tone, but if you can just buy a better amp which already has good speakers for the same amount of money...

That's an extremely good point there.....!!!

i'm well-versed in being cheap
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if it's ply you could always just upgrade the speaker.

maybe that's what you meant
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?