regressing to desire of me.
How can I? How am I?
"My mother is Muslim", to his dismay.
But he lay, somewhere.
A broken door that broke doors
and etched himself in my conscious
like a viral candy
or more, like an indolent horse.

This land is a machine that eats our spines.

Is nothing close? It's something snide,
it's only mine for a dose of him inside.
A dose of her is a wholly mind
with a pillow for our hearts,
a mattress for our eyes
or death in its helpful derive.
A dose of him is an overflow,
a nail to the coronary of love,
the beating from savage drugs:
It'll have me if I sing a dove,
if I scream a poem dried above.

But with my spine gnawed,
our moans are called:
"im-more-al"?
and I'm scared of death so

I say goodbye
to a valentine
more imaginary
than asinine.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 22, 2012,
I'm gonna come back to this later. Gotta study. Has potential.

Edit: Damn, very pulling. It almost is like you're speaking of yourself, man. Doesn't matter if you are or not; don't need to know. It just feels so...personal. For example, if I were in a different circumstance, I could see myself as the swain.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 21, 2012,
I like the spine eating machine line.
First verse doesn't really flow to me, other than that its good and kind of makes sense after reading it about 10 times :P
Some old swain of yesterday called,
regressing to desire of me.
How can I? How am I?
"My mother is Muslim", to his dismay.
But he lay, somewhere.
A broken door that broke doors
and etched himself in my conscious
like a viral candy
or more, like an indolent horse.
>> I like the sort of poetry-prose feel, it's like like half a story and half a poem. It's a great opening, with a nice balance of intriguing ideas and readability.

This land is a machine that eats our spines.

Is nothing close? It's something snide,
it's mine only for a dose of him inside. >> I'm not loving this bit, to be honest. For my liking there's too big of a difference between the flows of these two lines and stanza 1.
A dose of her is a wholly mind
with a pillow for our hearts,
a mattress for our eyes
or death in its helpful derive. >> Much better, back on track.
A dose of him is an overdose, >> Eh, not too keen on this line - I think you could easily improve it by finding a synonym for overdose.
a nail to the coronary of love,
the beating from savage drugs:
It'll have me if I sing a dove,
if I scream a poem dried above.

But with my spine gnawed,
our moans are called:
"im-more-al"?
and I'm scared of death so

I say goodbye
to a valentine
more imaginary
than asinine. >> I see no problems with these last sections, and overall it's a pretty great read and I enjoyed it. Some of what I've said you can ignore if this is a song rather than a poem. I look forward to reading more from you!

If you have the time, a quick comment on my 'Monochrome' piece would be much appreciated, it should be on the first page. Cheers.
Howdy there, Ali.
I like it for what it is but I can't say I'm that big a fan of what it is. It seems like more an exercise in internal rhyme than a poem tethered to that place where poems come from.

"This land is a machine that eats our spines."
This however is great. I hope that wasn't too forward or mean or anything. I'm only trying to give you my honest take.
Thank you guys for the kind words and suggestions. Samoo, I'll definitely look at your piece in a second. I've made a couple edits to the piece accordingly.

LuckAndDust, I disagree on that this is just an exercise in internal rhyme. I can't say I didn't giggle to myself when I was dashing through the second stanza (every piece seemed to fit right, without having to look at the picture on the box too much. I didn't have to reread and edit at all), but this wasn't entirely fashioned just to be rhymed. At least, I hope the flow wasn't too loud for the words.

And it's fine of course, I really do appreciate your honesty.