there is a school karaoke coming up and i wanna join. my voice is kind of deep and cracks at the high notes. I've never really sang while playing in front of anyone because my singing voice is not very good. so how can i improve my singing voice and not make a fool of myself in front of anyone? what are some practices i should do? thanks
If you are willing to lay down some money, Brett Manning's "Singing Success" program is fantastic and very detailed. If you don't want to spend money, there are countless Youtube videos that go over everything from proper breathing, tongue placement, warm up drills, range extending drills, licks, etc...At the end of the day, the best thing is a vocal coach, but the internet has countless resources that can get you going in the right direction.
I kinda have your problem TS, except my voice sucks. I have the deeper sound too. I know quite a bit about technique, it's just my voice just blows.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
the problem is the karaoke night is in 2 days, im not expecting overnight results, but just to improve enough so that i don't sound like a fool.
If you don't have much time to prepare, at least study up on singing posture, tongue placement, and proper breathing habits. They are the foundation for being able to "open" up your voice.
Quote by ehhthatguy
the problem is the karaoke night is in 2 days, im not expecting overnight results, but just to improve enough so that i don't sound like a fool.

Honestly? I don't think you can do anything particularly meaningful.

The #1 problem inexperienced singers have is staying on pitch. You can get away with a lot if you're on pitch. If you're off pitch, forget it. But you can't learn pitch accuracy in two days.

You could probably, I suppose, learn posture, how to keep your mouth open properly, and make sure you're projecting - not "swallowing" your voice in the back of your throat, which a lot of inexpreienced singers do.

But if you're off pitch, that's not really going to help.