Friend payed me 20 bucks to set his guitar up. I dont know how, but he smashed the saddle so I gave him a spare I had to fix it. the strings on it were old and needed new ones anyway. He gave me a pack of some acoustic strings he got off allparts when he got something else... anyway.
I sanded down the saddle, put it on and put the strings on. But the guitar doesnt sound right at all. I know what it did sound like, cuz I use to play it all the time at his house.
It used to sound ****ing great, I could play our last night and it would sound like it was straight off the album. a perfect match.
Im not savvy with acoustics, so im not sure what the problem is really. It sounds... idk just bad. Like, its got too much bass. especially chords.
Cheap strings? bad saddle? bad height? Maybe strings are too tight (or not tight enough, but I did tighten them up past the point where I thought they'd snap)
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Quote by stepchildusmc
cheap crappy horrible cheesy lousy nappy strings? did i use enough adjectives?

This. And also possibly because the stings aren't perfectly in tune because they're new.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
are you getting buzz? is the truss rot tight? are you playing through electronics? could be strings, maybe bracing inside is broke. need more info
Don"t Be A Bitch.
So then, cheap strings are the issue then. What strings do you propose then?

Quote by southpaw_tdg
are you getting buzz? is the truss rot tight? are you playing through electronics? could be strings, maybe bracing inside is broke. need more info

no, should be, no, maybe, and i dont even wtf that is.
its not the most expensive guitar, but it used to sound great.

I like martin acoustic strings... ernie balls are nice too. I'd stay away from coated strings.
Don"t Be A Bitch.
mm thanks. anything specific youd recommend? I use ernie balls on my electrics so I know theyre great.

Please help me understand your original post.

You say he smashed the saddle. Do you mean he smashed the bridge (the plastic/bone insert supporting the strings and slotted into the wooden saddle), or the actual saddle (the actual wood applied to the body of the guitar that takes your string pegs)?

And, did you replace the bridge, or the saddle, or both? I'm guessing that you actually mean he smashed his bridge and that is what you replaced.

And when you say you gave him "a spare you had," where did that "spare" come from? Bridges and saddles can be specific to guitar models, and you probably put the wrong one on. You also say you shaved the saddle down. Do you mean you shaved your "spare" bridge down to fit into his existing saddle?

Shaving down an improper bridge to fit into a saddle will result in the following:
-poor, inconsistent action between strings
-fret buzz (i.e., impossible to play an F-bar at first fret)
-flat tone
-poor resonance
etc.

In addition, strings will certainly make a difference, as everyone else noted.

So, what did you do man?
Last edited by spillproof at Mar 22, 2012,
Quote by Iblis92
but I did tighten them up past the point where I thought they'd snap)

You did what?
Take everyones suggestions so far, and mine. Learn how to tune a guitar to the correct octave.