If I am sitting down and watching TV or a movie I sometimes like to have my guitar in my hands so that I am constantly playing and not just wasting a few hours watching something. I will often just sit there for a on hour or two with the guitar unplugged and slowly alternate pick one string as relaxed as I can in hope that it will transfer economy of motion to my playing when I am plugged it.

Does anybody else do this? And if so what exercised to you do and what would you recommend are the best ones to do.
Kind of forces you to play without looking at the fretboard. Pretty cool.
I remember the guys from Meshuggah saying that sitting in front of the TV is the only practice they get anymore, you know, other then writing. Their chops are pretty nice.
I used to practice the pentatonic scale when in front of a TV quite a bit when I was first learning. That really helped cause it got me to memorize the patterns and be able to play them without really thinking.
when i sit and play the guitar while watching tv, i try playing the melodies of commercials, tv shows, etc. helps work on your ear
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
When I play guitar while the TV is turned on, I get horrible buzzing through the pickups.
Quote by madh4ttr
when i sit and play the guitar while watching tv, i try playing the melodies of commercials, tv shows, etc. helps work on your ear

ye i try to solo over any music or find the chords or add your own soundtrack to the movie!!
But this goes up to 11
I always play whilst watching tv, Two and a Half Men and The Simpsons are the best to watch whilst playing I sit there and run through scales, arpeggios etc, work on alternate picking and identifying keys of advert jingles and the melody lines Helped me improve a lot...

Also playing whilst on the toilet is good
The same thing for me, I always practice (exercises) while watching movies, series (Simpson, South Park, Dexter etc ...) the time goes so fast and it becomes not boring.

Of course, I keep attention on what I'm doing, always doing correctly.

Playing while watching videos helped me a lot : I can play without looking my neck now.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
I love playing while watching TV, commercials are a bunch of crap anyways. If you just played during every commercial for an hour of TV (about 5 three minute commercials per half hour) you would get a solid 30 mins or so of guitar time in. AND you get to watch south park, or whatever.

I'd say that's worth it.
Quote by deltadaz
ye i try to solo over any music or find the chords or add your own soundtrack to the movie!!

I do this too, I play to any and all music that comes on the TV. If I'm not doing that I am just playing what ever random stuff that comes to mind. I'm never plugged in though when I'm watching TV.
Quote by Kerbache
If I am sitting down and watching TV or a movie I sometimes like to have my guitar in my hands so that I am constantly playing and not just wasting a few hours watching something. I will often just sit there for a on hour or two with the guitar unplugged and slowly alternate pick one string as relaxed as I can in hope that it will transfer economy of motion to my playing when I am plugged it.

Does anybody else do this? And if so what exercised to you do and what would you recommend are the best ones to do.

I believe this is a good thing to do if you stay conscious of what you are doing but it sounds like your are still focused on economy of motion and fluidity. I say this is better than not doing anything so keep going
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
I used to practice the pentatonic scale when in front of a TV quite a bit when I was first learning. That really helped cause it got me to memorize the patterns and be able to play them without really thinking.

Same here. Greatest advice I ever got when I began was to never waste time in front of a TV without a guitar in my hands. I'm always doing some sort of exercises, be they plain ole' stretches or running through my scales. I'm still no speed demon, but I never have to look at my fretboard to know if I'm in scale or not.
Guitar Player Since April 12th, 2005.
Guitar of Choice: Schecter S-1 Elite
Proud of His Two Warnings
Quote by Cannibal Koala
I remember the guys from Meshuggah saying that sitting in front of the TV is the only practice they get anymore, you know, other then writing. Their chops are pretty nice.

Oh yeah I agree, they're sooo busy they just don't have time to practice anymore. So they have to squeeze it in with their TV watching time.
LOL, sorry, it just sounded silly.
It's fine to do that, I do all the time...
You have to be concious that you don't just let your fingers wander around though, I keep returning to the same old stuff
Make sure you keep an ear open so that you don't play the same things over and over