Can anyone list out a few bad habits for beginners.Ive been playing for 3months and over the months i have seen improvements but these days it feels like ive hit a wall(no improvement)Might b because i have some bad habits like maybe my position is wrong.Any advice would be appreciated.

Acoustic steel string guitar is what im playing
Well you have only been playing for 3 months, remember, learning guitar takes a lot of time, effort, and dedication to reach the level of playing that YOUR striving to achieve. With that being said, some days of practice are good excellent chord changes, precise picking, etc. On other days your playing may not be spot on; timing is off, sloppy changes, whatever. The most important thing is that you practice everyday, pay attention to the aspects of your playing that are the worst and practice these the most. As far as common mistakes I would include things such as (1) poor left wrist angle in relation to the neck, if your wrest is crooked or bent awkwardly around the guitar it can make playing more difficult and result in tendonitis try to keep your left wrist as straight as possible, move your guitar to your left knee (classical position) or extend the neck farther from your body to correct this (2) make sure that your posture is correct and that your head isn't leaning too far over the instrument, ideally you should avoid looking at the fretboard too much during playing, use the side dots, eventually your fingers will just know where to land (3) getting a good sense of rhythm can be difficult for beginning players, practice your strumming with a metronome (slowly at first) to get a good sense of timing. Most importantly KEEP PLAYING!! If you hit a rut or rough spot, take a break, focus on another area of improvement or just noodle around for a bit. Then come back to the where you left off. Hope this helps.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
ty and what do u mean side dots and are u suppose to point ur guitar neck outward while playing and point the neck up a little?
Last edited by music99 at Mar 20, 2012,
Side dots are the little dots that most guitars have on the edge of the fretboard/neck (as opposed to the actual fretboard inlay dots) that face up towards the player and mark off the frets 1 (sometimes), 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc., your guitar should have them. As far as playing posture is concerned its really about what is most comfortably for you, but yes having the guitar neck pointing outward slightly and up a little sounds pretty good. Your only 3 months in, experiment a bit to find a good position. Also browse this site as their is some great discussions on guitar posture and technique
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by music99
Can anyone list out a few bad habits for beginners.Ive been playing for 3months and over the months i have seen improvements but these days it feels like ive hit a wall(no improvement)Might b because i have some bad habits like maybe my position is wrong.Any advice would be appreciated.

Acoustic steel string guitar is what im playing

Not using a metronome is one.
1 last question do we have to keep our wrist straight at all times when playing or can move our wrist around occasionally.Like there are some parts where i have to bend my wrist to actually fret the notes.
Last edited by music99 at Mar 21, 2012,
Practice Travis Picking correctly.

Make sure you use your thumb to pick the upper two strings (i.e. strings 5 and 6), your index finger for the next lower string (string 4), AND your ring finger for the first (string 3). The picking progression with strings 3, 4, 5 & 6 would be: 6 > 3 >5 > 4.

So, pick with your thumb for the 6th string, your ring finger for the 3rd string, your thumb again for the 5th string, and your index finger for the 4th. Repeat 1 million times, while reciting the mantra: "Merle Travis has got nothing on me."

When first practicing this, and increasing your speed, just play it on an open neck (don't worry about your left hand). Then learn to alternate between a couple of chords, say a G and a D. That will get you picking all the strings....

Travis Picking is an essential skill that will serve you very very well in developing your rhythm, and is included in just about every great song ever written (OK, that was hyperbole).

Spill
Bad habits? Playing while drunk will hamper your ability to learn and play ... =^)
dunno about that one SteveBP... i sound a lot better to me when im drunk. 99, i seem to "plateau" about every 3 months in my learning. i change direction a little bit and i pick up again. weather's been warm, beers been cold.... doin'a lot of "plateauing" lately !!!