Page 1 of 2
I'm about to finish college and I want to get my first tattoo, maybe two. I love music and am very involved with radio and producing my own rock show on a radio station. I'm thinking about getting maybe two tattoos that represent the music I like, such as a band. I figure that this tattoo would mean something special to me rather than getting just a piece of random artwork.

Do tattoos that can be seen or partially seen decrease your chances of being hired? Obviously I'm going to look for jobs after I graduate, but I just don't want to get this tattoo and then find out various employers find tattoos distasteful and have someone's tattoo sway their decision on hiring me.

What do you all think?
It depends what job and where on your body the tattoo is.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Though it is circumstantial, unfortunately, more often than not if they are blatantly visible.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I'd say wait on getting the tattoo until after getting the job. I myself have been employed by managers/supervisors who have their own but I always ask beforehand if I need to cover mine up (on my left wrist). Some don't even care as long as it's not something offensive.
This is why most reputable artists don't let clients get tattoo's in hard to cover areas and also the reason why many people's first tattoos are on their torso or shoulder. Easily covered with a shirt. Out of sight, out of mind. Shouldn't hurt any chances of getting a job.

Also chances are that jobs you're working that find it acceptable to show your shoulder/torso area probably wouldn't have problems with tattoos.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Tattoos make "professional" people think that you're a "punk" and don't take directions well. You might as well wear a shirt that says "don't hire me".
Quote by HowSoonisNow
Tattoos make "professional" people think that you're a "punk" and don't take directions well. You might as well wear a shirt that says "don't hire me".

Thanks for the quotes around professional.
I hate that ****ing facade white collar workers put up.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Oh, one major exception is the cooking industry. The more tats you have, the more successful you are as a chef.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Yes, unless you're looking to be a pirate or a meth dealer.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by King Of Suede
Thanks for the quotes around professional.
I hate that ****ing facade white collar workers put up.

It's unfortunate but is likely to continue for many years to come
Do you know what you call tattoo's that can be covered by a TShirt?

They are called, "I can still get a Job Tattoo's."
Getting a full neck/arm tattoo = no job. A treble clef on your shoulder = a job.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
It depends on who you are working with, but for the most part, you are going to have trouble if you have anything past the elbow. For the most part, as long as it can be covered by a T shirt, you should be okay.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
No, cover your face in swastikas and watch the six-figure job offers roll in.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
It's not nearly as big of a deal as it used to be. Depends entirely on the tattoo and the employer. Wouldn't want to work for someone who placed whether I have a tattoo above my credentials and experience anyway...

Unless appearance is a very crucial aspect of the position, declining someone just for having a tattoo is stupid. Obviously you can go overboard, but 1-2 tattoos that actually mean something should be fine. Anyone who has a problem with it is a prude who probably isn't running a great business based on their hiring methods. In other words, you probably don't want to work there.
Get whatever tattoos you want, however get them where you can cover them up. I've got many tattoos but if I wear a long sleve shirt and long pants you could never tell.
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
It's not nearly as big of a deal as it used to be. Depends entirely on the tattoo and the employer. Wouldn't want to work for someone who placed whether I have a tattoo above my credentials and experience anyway...

This.

I mean, I'm pretty sure more potential employers would take you more seriously if you have a few non-offensive works of body art and a decent CV/Resume, than they would if you rocked up to an interview reeking of weed/booze, and a shitty attitude.
On average, people who have tattoos just seem more unreliable, aggressive, or untrustworthy. That's my first instinct and I'm sure it's not uncommon. But it's just that, the initial instinct.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
It's not nearly as big of a deal as it used to be.

That's completely true, but it's still a pretty darn big deal and yes, overall it lessens your chance of employment for the majority of positions. It might be silly or wrong, but that's how it is.

Tattoos still represent counter culture and criminality even if lots of mainstream, non-criminal people get them every day. The connotation isn't gone and HR people, like everyone else, carry that in the back of their mind whether they're consciously aware of it or not.
It's getting a lot better, but they still definitely are a negative factor in seeking employment in a tax-paying job.
I'd say it depends largely on the type of the tattoo too.

If it's offensive, les likely to get a job. If you're that douche with the huge tribal tattoo or babred wire around your arm, also less likely to get a job.

I find a lot of people with tattoos are actually super friendly and great people. Go to a tattoo studio and you'll see what I mean.

The only time I connect tattoos with the person being "unreliable, aggressive, or untrustworthy. " is when it's the tribal crap, barbed wire, southern crosses, all that stupid shit.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
Quote by seabear70
Do you know what you call tattoo's that can be covered by a TShirt?

They are called, "I can still get a Job Tattoo's."

+1 for the fallout avatar...

edit: In a lot of cases, you want a real job, don't get tattoos a short sleeve shirt can't cover.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Mar 21, 2012,
Depends on if it's dedicated to your mom or not.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Coming from a person that really likes tattoos I would strongly advise against a band tattoo.

Since you're concerned about if it will stop you from getting a job just place tats where your clothes conceal them.
If you're concerned about that then get them where they can easily be covered by a T shirt. My dad has full sleeves and he can get work (he drives a truck, so that might be why it's not too hard for him) and my mom could probably get work if she could be cleared medically. I plan on getting quite a few, but I will be getting them in places that can be covered up until I'm able to find a job where it doesn't matter/I have to dress professionally and it can be covered by long sleeve shirts or a suit.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Xiaoxi
On average, people who have tattoos just seem more unreliable, aggressive, or untrustworthy. That's my first instinct and I'm sure it's not uncommon. But it's just that, the initial instinct.

This is gonna cause some controversy..

Quote by vayne92
This is gonna cause some controversy..

He used the words "seem" and "on average." I don't see what's controversial about that at all. The average person with a visible tattoo is going to initially seem that way to the average employer. It's not a value judgment about anyone's character, it's an observation about common perceptions.
It 98% of cases: yes.

I sort've argued with the interviewer when I applied for the job I have now. Initially he was basically showing me the door (not in a rude way, because he had to) because it didn't "fit in with company values" or something similar.

I proceeded to argue that: a) when I'm wearing a business shirt, they're not visible.

b) I'm not customer facing, so the only people who see me are my colleagues, hence the businesses image remains untarnished.

and c) it's not like I'm going to parade around in a tank top during the very few client meetings we actually have, so once more, the businesses image remains untarnished.

I then proceeded to show him my portfolio, references and qualifications and hey presto! I've been employed for over 18 months and shock, horror, the business is still making money regardless of the tattooed monkey in Software Development

Long and the short is you have to be prepared to state your case once you're the proud owner of a visible tattoo or you will just get swept to the side.

Unfortunately, society still hasn't warmed to this particular type of expression.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by Shredder XXX
It 98% of cases: yes.

I sort've argued with the interviewer when I applied for the job I have now. Initially he was basically showing me the door (not in a rude way, because he had to) because it didn't "fit in with company values" or something similar.

I proceeded to argue that: a) when I'm wearing a business shirt, they're not visible.

b) I'm not customer facing, so the only people who see me are my colleagues, hence the businesses image remains untarnished.

and c) it's not like I'm going to parade around in a tank top during the very few client meetings we actually have, so once more, the businesses image remains untarnished.

I then proceeded to show him my portfolio, references and qualifications and hey presto! I've been employed for over 18 months and shock, horror, the business is still making money regardless of the tattooed monkey in Software Development

Long and the short is you have to be prepared to state your case once you're the proud owner of a visible tattoo or you will just get swept to the side.

Unfortunately, society still hasn't warmed to this particular type of expression.

Excellent work. You won't find any better response than this
Get your postcode tattooed on your forehead.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Page 1 of 2