Hello all,

I've been an Ibanez player for years, but now that I'm seriously getting into doing some home recording, I needed to venture out from my comfort zone just a bit.

I'm keeping all of my Ibanez guitars to do my lead work with but for rhythm I wanted something "fuller", so I went with the long fabled Les Paul and was NOT disappointed.

The only problem I'm having though is that I LOVE the sound of the Les Paul, but when it comes to playing, I'm used to the really slick sanded Ibanez necks. I really HATE painted necks. They catch me and slow me down, especially once my hands get sweaty.

I've been told of two solutions to my problem.

1 - Sand the neck. Which I do NOT want to do to by brand new baby, plus I'd be afraid of screwing in up.

2 - Use baby powder. While applying powder to the palm of my fretting hand does work very nicely, it only works for a few minutes. Then I have to re-apply. Trying to get powder just where I want and nowhere else is a chore. Eventually the guitar just ends up looking like Charlie Sheen sneezed on it. =(

Does anyone have any tricks or recommendations to help solve the painted neck problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for taking the time to read my long and needy post.

- Jacob
Fingerless gloves?
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Not really anything you can do about it without devaluing the guitar.

the only thing you can try is this. It looks scary but it is in fact a very hard thing to screw up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 21, 2012,
hehe everyone uses that Frudua.com example - i only have nicely satin finished necks - ibanez and fenders. I feel the OP's pain when i have to play my mate's epi G400 - yucky painted neck
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Not really anything you can do about it without devaluing the guitar.

the only thing you can try is this. It looks scary but it is in fact a very hard thing to screw up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Seems like it should be easy enough. When people would say, "sand your neck", I thought they meant to sand all the way down to the wood-grain.

That "satin" might be just what I'm looking for. =)

Thanks again. Peace.