What are some great guitar brands that aren't very popular. For example I think Suhr would be a good example, not too many people know about them.
Caparison guitars..... if, ya know, you're willing to drop the cash on 'em.
Agile, Xaviere, SX, Douglas, First Act *they actually make good guitars, and no im not talking about the cheap ones at wal-mart and cosco*, Davidson, Chenault. There is also Kona, pawn shops in texas often become dealers for Kona and they are pretty well built and cheap, they have a PRS copy I am kind of wanting.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 21, 2012,
Yamaha. Their guitars are way better than what they charge for them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Suhr, Caparison, Blackmachine, basically most somewhat obscure custom shops.

Quote by rjaylaf
Agile.

This along with Carvin are only good value in the US. they aren't really obscure anymore either. They're becoming more popular.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Michael Kelly are supposed to be pretty decent...
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I'm glad you guys mentioned Suhr and Caparison, I'd like to add Ran and Mayones to that list. Pretty damn cool stuff. Also, EBMM isn't as popular as it should be.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Offworld92
Yamaha. Their guitars are way better than what they charge for them.

agreed, they make some awesome guitars. people just don't realise it.

godin, fernandes and G&L seem like pretty good underrated companies.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by LordPino
I'm glad you guys mentioned Suhr and Caparison, I'd like to add Ran and Mayones to that list. Pretty damn cool stuff. Also, EBMM isn't as popular as it should be.

I've heard that RAN's can be a bit iffy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, Vigier, Mayones, VIK, hufschmid, bernie Rico Jr., Strictly 7, Blackmachine, Blackcat, KxK, ...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've heard that RAN's can be a bit iffy.

True, I'd take a Mayones over a RAN like I'd take an ESP over an LTD.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Only I can think of that haven't been mentioned are Godin, Gretsch (I know their famous but you don't see people playing them that often), Tanglewood make fantastic acoustic guitars and some decent starter electrics but raise eyebrows when I mention them.
SMILE!
Gary Kramer makes great high/pro quality guitars for a fantastic price. It's actually sad they aren't a very well known brand.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Michael Kelly are supposed to be pretty decent...

They are very good for the price, and becoming better known (and the price is climbing as a result... )
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
agree on michael kelly, I picked up a valor (superstrat) for half price when i started playing electric again and even now I have guitars that I paid 5 times the amount for and the kellly still holds its own...the pickups kind of suck...but the neck is pretty fantastic, its flat, thin, and fast...I haven't tried their Patriots though (lp copies)

g&L too, maybe a little more known, but not near to that of a fender and the sorts. All the ones I have played were on par with my american dlx strat and they were much cheaper...I haven't played their expensive stuff though.

And I haven't played one, but always wanted a Eastwood guitar
I have to agree on the Godin. I have one of their higher end models and its the best guitar I have ever played over les pauls, sgs, prs's, fenders. Its just so easy to play, amazing quality and killer sound at great prices. And one that hasnt been mentioned is reverend. Their warhawk guitars are pretty damn killer.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Only I can think of that haven't been mentioned are Godin, Gretsch (I know their famous but you don't see people playing them that often), Tanglewood make fantastic acoustic guitars and some decent starter electrics but raise eyebrows when I mention them.

I was scrolling down this thread, thinking "I bet nobody else thinks Gretsch should be here...", then spotted this comment.

Gretsch are my favourite brand, and it always amazes me that they aren't used as much as Gibson & Fender. Having owned guitars by all three, Gretsch were my favourite by a long way - although part of that is probably because they're slightly less common.

Also agree about Tanglewood - solid starter through to mid range guitars.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
anything $2500 and up and $150 and down is where a vast percentage of uncommon guitars pop in.

god if i had a dollar for every strat or LP copy released in the last 30 years i would be a millionaire.

the >$2500 are more uncommon because not a lot of people shell out that much for a guitar (although i wouldn't have a problem doing so as well as a lot of people on here would). second reason being that some of these brands only produce in the single or double digits on a daily/ weekly basis. they are small shops that do things more so (or almost exclusively) by hand. another reason is that the moderately priced Gibson and PRS fall in there and people know more about them, and a lot of those people haven't heard of them.

my $.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just add Duesenberg and Framus to the list.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Charvel as well?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I have played guitar for 37 years and have a great discovery to share. I may be late on this and you may already know this; First Act makes some damn good guitars. Yes, some of their lower end guitars were sold at Walmart and others retailers and actually are good beginner guitars. BUT... go get one of the good ones being sold on Ebay and other places for $100-$299. What will you get? All are American made near Boston and use great tone woods. They are the best bargain around. Why? The stigma of "Walmart" guitar has hurt sales of their Custom and Designed guitars which are being sold by some people way below their true value. Word is the First Act luthiers are folding the F.A. name and restarting under another brand name (not known yet). There will come a day, and may in fact BE NOW, that people start snatching up F.A guitars. I now own 5 and the most expensive was $159. It was a Custom shop guitar that I got on Ebay. It is freaking full tilt awesome and high quality.
So do this, go to FirstAct.com and look at their guitars. Yes! These are the good ones not sold at Walmart, American made with great pride. Look at them closely. Nice yes?? Then, my friend, go to Ebay where you will most likely find many of those listed for a very very fair price. When you buy one, you'll wonder if a $99 guitar is really going to be worth it. It will be the greatest surprise you've had in a long time when it arrives. You will buy more.
Someone told me, I'm telling you, they are great hardworking guitars, not toys!
Go do your homework and learn about them. But hurry. The fire has started and word is out.
AXL badwaters are nice, they are now putting them together in the US with good hardware.
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

For those who mentionned Godin, I have a question. I'm interested in them since they are pretty affordable here (in Quebec) but what model would be best for instrumental rock/shred.
Carvin
Framus
Charvel (at least now; they used to be all the rage in the 80's)
Peavey
High-end First Act
High-end B.C. Rich
Wayne Guitars

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Out of all of them Framus has the most interesting stuff in my opinion.