Hey all,

So I came up with this progression the other day, and had a question about it.

E5 - F#7sus4 - D(has a 2nd and a 6th added in, so Dsus2add13?) - A2 - Badd11

So my question is this, how does that D fit? Cause there's no D in E major...
I know I can play whatever sounds right, but just wondering how this would be explained by music theory?

Thanks
we call that a D 6/9.

Can you tab out what you're playing...just want to make sure everything is named right so I can give you a proper explanation of whats happening.
Last edited by chronowarp at Mar 21, 2012,
Played using powerchords, but letting the E and B strings ring out

e|--0-----0-----0-----0-----0----
B|--0-----0-----0-----0-----0----
G|--9----11----7-----6-----8----
D|--9----11----7-----7-----9----
A|--7-----9-----5-----7-----9----
E|----------------------5-----7----
The D6/9 chord is modal mixture. The open strings act as a pedal, which is what is holding the progression together.

Nice sequence btw.
Quote by Ryhee
Played using powerchords, but letting the E and B strings ring out

e|--0-----0-----0-----0-----0----
B|--0-----0-----0-----0-----0----
G|--9----11----7-----6-----8----
D|--9----11----7-----7-----9----
A|--7-----9-----5-----7-----9----
E|----------------------5-----7----

LOL. Really? Just think of it as:

E F#m D A B

With E and B drone notes.

What are you effectively left with? I ii bVII IV V.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Ryhee
What about the D though?

And thanks, I like the progression too

Yeah sorry I missed that. It's a bVII.

Edit: It appears it is the day for disappearing posts.
Soundcloud
D6/9, modal interchange from E Phrygian. Or you could disregard the pedal tones altogether and say it's a straight ahead D5 borrowed from parallel minor.
Quote by mdc
D6/9, modal interchange from E Phrygian. Or you could disregard the pedal tones altogether and say it's a straight ahead D5 borrowed from parallel minor.

I'd opt for the latter, the former just brings in needless mode stuff.
Soundcloud
So why does adding in the E and B mean it's borrowed from E Phrygian? You say if I just call it D5 then it's simply from the parallel minor, but if I call it D6/9 it's from E Phrygian, how does this work? Sorry if this is a nooby question.
Don't worry about it, dude. You're not ready for all that yet. Just enjoy the music for what it is.

... and to be honest, all that stuff really isn't important.
^ @chrono For some reason I had "m6/9" in my head at the time of that post, hence the choice of Phrygian, lol.

As it turns out, there's a few other options...

... anywayz, the progression sounds cool and that's what matters.
Quote by liampje
What the ****'s up with all the mode related answers lately?

Withdrawal symptoms. Sorry
Last edited by mdc at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by chronowarp
You'll understand when you're older.

Yes but what I don't understand:
First I was asking modal questions, I got told to get the **** off of this forum with those questions.
Now:This is modal, that is modal.
Look up some of my threads and you should see how many people were/are against modes in western music.
Quote by Ryhee

E5 - F#5 - D - A - B

With pedals.

Fixed.

The D is borrowed from the parallel minor.
Quote by liampje
First I was asking modal questions, I got told to get the **** off of this forum with those questions.
Look up some of my threads and you should see how many people were/are against modes in western music.

Modal mixture doesn't have anything to do with "modes" its just to do with borrowed chords.
Quote by liampje

Don't worry, "modal mixture" or "modal interchange" is another term for "borrowed chord". I much prefer "borrowed chord", as the chord is taken from another key, rather than inferring that there's a "parallel mode" to a key, which has implications of some sort of links between the two, that we must cross some rules of harmonic context in order to explain this chord which is in a key. I prefer to keep the same, "borrowed chord" coming from another key, rather than mode land.

But I do understand your frustration, don't worry, continue on your path, you're doing well.
Soundcloud
sweet progression, do you mind if i make a backing track for this? I won't use it in any songs, just for some fun soloing stuff
Quote by AlanHB
Don't worry, "modal mixture" or "modal interchange" is another term for "borrowed chord". I much prefer "borrowed chord", as the chord is taken from another key, rather than inferring that there's a "parallel mode" to a key, which has implications of some sort of links between the two, that we must cross some rules of harmonic context in order to explain this chord which is in a key. I prefer to keep the same, "borrowed chord" coming from another key, rather than mode land.

But I do understand your frustration, don't worry, continue on your path, you're doing well.

Modal interchange isn't inferring the use of modes of the major scale. Mode in this case refers to the tonality, either major or minor.
Quote by griffRG7321
Modal interchange isn't inferring the use of modes of the major scale. Mode in this case refers to the tonality, either major or minor.

I'm not saying it's incorrect terminology, I just don't like it.
Soundcloud
Quote by liampje
I think it's such a useless idea of having more than 1 term for one thing, especially if it causes confusion.

I think it's useless having dialects and more than 1 language, because it causes confusion.
Quote by chronowarp
I think it's useless having dialects and more than 1 language, because it causes confusion.

Exactly my idea.
Quote by chronowarp

Quote by liampje
Exactly my idea.

Your opinion is exactly the same as Big Brother in 1984
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Mar 23, 2012,
So why does adding in the E and B mean it's borrowed from E Phrygian? You say if I just call it D5 then it's simply from the parallel minor, but if I call it D6/9 it's from E Phrygian, how does this work? Sorry if this is a nooby question.
Quote by chronowarp
The ironing seems to have escaped you.

Nope, I actually wanted to quote Liampie agreeing with you but I made a mistake.