Hey Guys
I've been searching around lots and have come to the conclusion that I will probably get a Marshall. There are very few music shops near me and the one really good one is far away and I only get to go there every 3 months aprox. so i don"t have much time to try these amps out.

So I'm just wondering which marshall amp (or maybe you could suggest a different amp?) is the one I should get, I can spend around 800$ on one and i really like classic rock like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and ACDC etc. I play mostly distorted but need a good clean too. i'm not too bothered about new or used so either is great. I have a boss ds-1 and fender strat but plan on getting a crybaby very soon, and i have a practice amp: mustang 1

Please need some help, thanks
Last edited by JimmyCraig at Mar 21, 2012,
How do you intend to use the amp (bed room practice, gigging, etc..)?
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
A Marshall DSL401 combo would be great and if you can find a used Marshall vintage modern combo then it would be even better.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
A Marshall DSL401 combo would be great and if you can find a used Marshall vintage modern combo then it would be even better.

I tried the VM combo before I got the halfstack because it would have been much easier to get around. But I didn't get it as it sounded pretty poor in my opinion. The halfstack sounds fantastic though, but it's not easy to transport it around.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I tried the VM combo before I got the halfstack because it would have been much easier to get around. But I didn't get it as it sounded pretty poor in my opinion. The halfstack sounds fantastic though, but it's not easy to transport it around.

Hmm. Actually, what speakers do you have in your cab? I'm really thinking about getting a VM and i want to know how different speakers would suit it (ill only relly be able to afford a harley benton G212 with V30s or another cab with Greenbacks).

Also, how is it at low volumes and can it do metal (Ozzy osbourne, Alter bridge)?

I know that this is slightly of topic but ive been looking around in all the thread for your posts for a while cos i wanted you opinion of the amp
^ laney gh would probably be better for that. i felt the VM really had to be cranked to get a half-decent tone. and also the laney would be better-equipped for heavier stuff, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JimmyCraig
I've been searching around lots and have come to the conclusion that I will probably get a Marshall. There are very few music shops near me and the one really good one is far away and I only get to go there every 3 months aprox. so i don"t have much time to try these amps out.

If you can't get to a shop to try them, how have you decided you want a Marshall?

Get to the shop and try everything - regardless of whether it is Marshall or not. Without trying other amps you can't possibly know amp is right for you.

Trying them is the ONLY way you can make this decision. Anything else written here is just someone else's opinion and means nothing - only your opinion counts.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Vintage Modern, go used.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Hmm. Actually, what speakers do you have in your cab? I'm really thinking about getting a VM and i want to know how different speakers would suit it (ill only relly be able to afford a harley benton G212 with V30s or another cab with Greenbacks).

Also, how is it at low volumes and can it do metal (Ozzy osbourne, Alter bridge)?

I know that this is slightly of topic but ive been looking around in all the thread for your posts for a while cos i wanted you opinion of the amp

I have the matching 425A cab. They are the G12C 25 Watt Celestion Greenbacks. They were first made for the Jimi Hendrix sig.

I haven't tried it with any other cabs to be honest, so I don't know how it differs. But the 425 is great. There's nothing wrong with it to my ears.

I've been out of a band for a while and it's always been my number one amp. I use it in my room. To be honest, I don't really put it past 2 or 3 if I know people are out. It's pretty loud. But low volumes it sounds awesome. It's a bit fizzy when it's not quite at 1, but that's the same with a lot of amps. But it clears up and gets a real nice sound after 1.5/ 2 and there's no fizz.

I did get an awesome Randy Rhoads tone out of it the other day. But I was using an EHX LPB-1 as a boost. Without a boost, I don't think it'll be able to do modern metal. Sabbath and Ozzy sounds shouldn't be too hard. That's not really my style so I haven't tried too hard to get those tones. I play mostly Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Hendrix, classic rock/ blues really and I can usually match the tone I want to get.

I have the 50 watt version by the way. If you have any other questions, just message me

EDIT: Yeah, listening to Alter Bridge now and I don't see why it'd have too much of a problem getting that sound.

Also, something else to consider, cleans are good with humbuckers, like a Les Paul, however, they are far superior with something like a Telecaster. My Tele gets much better cleans than my Les Paul.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington
If you can't get to a shop to try them, how have you decided you want a Marshall?

Get to the shop and try everything - regardless of whether it is Marshall or not. Without trying other amps you can't possibly know amp is right for you.

Trying them is the ONLY way you can make this decision. Anything else written here is just someone else's opinion and means nothing - only your opinion counts.

My favourite guitarist, aka Jimmy Page, uses them and I love his sound, but you make a VERY valid point. I'll go there and try them out
Quote by JimmyCraig
My favourite guitarist, aka Jimmy Page, uses them and I love his sound, but you make a VERY valid point. I'll go there and try them out

You can't just plug in to a Marshall and expect Jimmy Page's sound. In the earlier years, he didn't use Marshalls. These days he doesn't. He uses mainly Orange amps. He's also used Fenders... Most of his tone isn't in the Marshall.

Also, Page uses very expensive and very high end guitars. If you're using an Epi Les Paul and buy an amp cuz it says Marshall on it and expect to get his sound, it's just not going to happen. With your budget, I'd go with a used Orange or a used Vintage Modern if you can get one cheap.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
You can't just plug in to a Marshall and expect Jimmy Page's sound. In the earlier years, he didn't use Marshalls. These days he doesn't. He uses mainly Orange amps. He's also used Fenders... Most of his tone isn't in the Marshall.

Also, Page uses very expensive and very high end guitars. If you're using an Epi Les Paul and buy an amp cuz it says Marshall on it and expect to get his sound, it's just not going to happen. With your budget, I'd go with a used Orange or a used Vintage Modern if you can get one cheap.

Agree with all of this - you'll only get a true Jimmy Page sound by being Jimmy Page

Even going for a used Orange or Vintage Modern, he'd still need to try one to make sure it was right for him.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by JimmyCraig
So which Orange amps would you suggest?

I've only ever used a Tiny Terror so I wouldn't know what to suggested. Like Gary Billington said, just go to a shop and try EVERYTHING.
Brand names are indifferent to the tone your ears want.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Page's Zeppelin sound is almost all Marshall (assuming you're talking live sound, no one really knows what went into Page's studio sound as he had a giant collection of amps and recording techniques). He used a custom Hiwatt early on though, but it definitely was more Marshall-like than your typical run of the mill Hiwatt amp.

In his post-Zeppelin days (though Idk if that is what you are going after, most people are more interested int he Zeppelin sound), he's used Marshall, Orange, Hiwatt, Fender, Vox, all sorts of things.

But Page's live sound during Zeppelin (at least in the early '70s) is basically the holy grail as far as the Les Paul -> Marshall Super Lead combo goes. You'll have a really tough time replicating it without the right guitar and amp. And a '68 super lead is a much different amp than a $800 modern-day Marshall. Regardless of what brand is stamped on the front.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I have the matching 425A cab. They are the G12C 25 Watt Celestion Greenbacks. They were first made for the Jimi Hendrix sig.

I haven't tried it with any other cabs to be honest, so I don't know how it differs. But the 425 is great. There's nothing wrong with it to my ears.

I've been out of a band for a while and it's always been my number one amp. I use it in my room. To be honest, I don't really put it past 2 or 3 if I know people are out. It's pretty loud. But low volumes it sounds awesome. It's a bit fizzy when it's not quite at 1, but that's the same with a lot of amps. But it clears up and gets a real nice sound after 1.5/ 2 and there's no fizz.

I did get an awesome Randy Rhoads tone out of it the other day. But I was using an EHX LPB-1 as a boost. Without a boost, I don't think it'll be able to do modern metal. Sabbath and Ozzy sounds shouldn't be too hard. That's not really my style so I haven't tried too hard to get those tones. I play mostly Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Hendrix, classic rock/ blues really and I can usually match the tone I want to get.

I have the 50 watt version by the way. If you have any other questions, just message me

EDIT: Yeah, listening to Alter Bridge now and I don't see why it'd have too much of a problem getting that sound.

Also, something else to consider, cleans are good with humbuckers, like a Les Paul, however, they are far superior with something like a Telecaster. My Tele gets much better cleans than my Les Paul.

Thanks for the info
I'll be going to my local shop in a few days to try it out against an orange thunder 30, I'll see how they fare against each other
I'm not a big fan of the Vintage Modern amp, but the VM cab is excellent.
In your budget, your best bet is probably a DSL50 or DSL100. If you can get a Vintage Modern, do so, but I doubt they go as low as $800 yet.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
In your budget, your best bet is probably a DSL50 or DSL100. If you can get a Vintage Modern, do so, but I doubt they go as low as $800 yet.

Actually, the vintage modern is cheaper than the DSL heads but the DSL Combo is cheaper than both :/

i have no idea why, pretty stupid TBH. I wanted to get one and i saw the price on one website so i checked two more. i seriously thought it was some early april fools day prank