Has anyone got any tips on singing (yelling?) for a punk band? I recently started one and it seems I may be the singer... We are going for an old school hardcore punk sound, similar to Black Flag, Void, DRI, Minor Threat and The Descendents.

Any tips are appreciated... Saying 'you don't need to be able to sing for punk' is not.

Cheers
When I sing punk acousticly, I try to keep my vocal tone a dry as possible, I don't really know how to explain that besides to sing "dryly." When I'm singing with a full band, I add a slight distortion (not much mind you), and over-enunciation my consanants. I hope that helps!
I would listen to Joe Strummer.

Bitch had a horrible, raspy voice, but always meant what he sang 100%, and that's the most important thing.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I would listen to Joe Strummer.

Bitch had a horrible, raspy voice, but always meant what he sang 100%, and that's the most important thing.

Yeah man. On "London's Burning," he sounds so beautifully retarded. <3
Quote by due 07
Yeah man. On "London's Burning," he sounds so beautifully retarded. <3

Exactly, beautifully retarded.
Quote by AgendaSuicide
Are there any vocalist you are trying to emulate?

Not really, just trying to get a Void/DRI sound.

Had a jam today, I just yelled/screamed and did the consonants thing (thanks for that, it worked well). At the end my voice was gone but, it still hurts 2 hours later guess I'll just have to harden up.
you really gotta get into in, maybe start with just a fast instrumental jam to get you pumped, try to emulate certain punk singers you like. its all about energy, you will sound the best when your ready to kick down a wall and full of energy.