Hi Guys,
I'm new here, and just wanted help with a problem our band is facing...

Here is the situation, our band is small, consists of 6 members (4 main, 1 more of a freelancer, and 1 that only sometimes joins us), a lead guitarist, bassist, drummer (me), and a vocalist... Now our band was fine when we started out, but when our rhythm guitarist quit, our vocalist started to feel more like a leader, which is good, but he tends to be more of self-centered leader, and our lead guitarist is always with him, so it's basically like he "controls" our guitarist... Now me and our bassist are the ones who notice... We also don't like that he chooses way out of our level songs, example, (note we are a new band, just about 4 months, without band experience when we started) in our FIRST set, he included Down with the Sickness by Disturbed, our bass player is fairly new, and can't handle the spider at that speed, and I barely knew the intro... Another more recent problem we had was that when we were trying Bombtrack by RATM, me and our bass had problems because of the sudden decision to play it, and he said that it was good because the guitar got it, so it was like considering the drums and bass, very key instruments in a band, to be useless.... So the problem we have is, how to tell him without hurting him too bad?
Dude just tell them to give you more of a heads up. From what it sounds they dont realise that its a bit unfair to to go. Oh look our guitarist can play this challenging song you guys should play it NOW. Like people need time to learn... Why dont you like fb each other a list of things youd like to do before every practice some time in advance. Then people have time to learn pieces or go "hells no - i cant do that".
^^^ That's the right idea. Choose songs ahead of time, pick songs that people can actually play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Heat-13
Dude just tell them to give you more of a heads up. From what it sounds they dont realise that its a bit unfair to to go. Oh look our guitarist can play this challenging song you guys should play it NOW. Like people need time to learn... Why dont you like fb each other a list of things youd like to do before every practice some time in advance. Then people have time to learn pieces or go "hells no - i cant do that".

+1

When I was playing covers with my last band, we would get together at the end of every practice session and throw out ideas for new songs to work on for the next session. We never just showed up expecting everyone else to know what songs we've been messing around with. Once we narrowed it down to like 2 songs, we'd pick one as the priority, and the other would be a backup in case your part of that song is super easy. Just tell them you need more time to learn.

Bombtrack was one of the first songs we played too Pretty fun song to play. The bassline sounds tricky but I'm no bassist, so
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
^reported spambot
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
+1

When I was playing covers with my last band, we would get together at the end of every practice session and throw out ideas for new songs to work on for the next session. We never just showed up expecting everyone else to know what songs we've been messing around with. Once we narrowed it down to like 2 songs, we'd pick one as the priority, and the other would be a backup in case your part of that song is super easy. Just tell them you need more time to learn.

Bombtrack was one of the first songs we played too Pretty fun song to play. The bassline sounds tricky but I'm no bassist, so

It's not too bad, just follows the guitar for the most part. That intro could definitely trip you up though if you had never heard/played it before.

And yea OP as suggested, get a song list and have it on facebook/write it down. And then you can all work on those songs outside of practice before hand so you can actually practice them...in practice. Practice is meant for practice, not learning songs. Songs and parts should be down before a band practice.
Maybe it did sound fine, as long as a drummer keeps time it will sound okay. You should be learning that song now ideally, and then ask everyone to tell you a list of what will be played ahead of time and get practising.

If something is too hard and can't be simplified as them to drop otherwise don't complain get on with it or leave.
SMILE!