Hey so I am building a guitar for my HSC major timber work and I was thinking about using a locking nut with a fixed bridge. A quick googling of the topic would prove locking nuts to be both irrelevant for a fixed bridge and make me look like a douche. I am 17 and am unable to get a job so a Floyd Rose is out of my price range. The only guitar I own is a $250 Squier Strat which goes out of tune all the time, so I was kind of scared into this idea of using a locking nut because I thought that if it could prevent all the divebombs in the world from going out of tune, I thought I might be able to play my guitar for more than a few minutes in complete tune.

Would this make my guitar better or worse and whyyyyy? please thank you
It isn't a dumb idea if you have fine tuners at the bridge like the fixed bridge Wolfgang's have.

But if you're not going to have fine tuners, having a locking nut is a stupid idea because its sometimes the case that the clamping of the strings when you tighten the locking nut can make the string go sharp as you're applying pressure to the string. That's why the fine tuners are there on the Wolfgang.

Also, wood expands and contracts with changing humidity, making it necessary to retune occasionally. A locking nut without fine tuners would be a bitch. You would need an allan wrench just to check your tuning.

In the scenario of not having fine tuners, a locking nut will be a complete liability.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by YoTimDog
Hey so I am building a guitar for my HSC major timber work and I was thinking about using a locking nut with a fixed bridge. A quick googling of the topic would prove locking nuts to be both irrelevant for a fixed bridge and make me look like a douche. I am 17 and am unable to get a job so a Floyd Rose is out of my price range. The only guitar I own is a $250 Squier Strat which goes out of tune all the time, so I was kind of scared into this idea of using a locking nut because I thought that if it could prevent all the divebombs in the world from going out of tune, I thought I might be able to play my guitar for more than a few minutes in complete tune.

Would this make my guitar better or worse and whyyyyy? please thank you

Invest in better strings and wear them in. It shouldn't go massively out of tune unless you're using the trem every single second of the day.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
cheers, guys! I caved in to normality and did the old bone nut/ tune-o-matic bridge on this guitar. This will not be the last guitar I will build (hopefully); there are too many ideas in my head, and a Floyd Rose will definitely have to be on the cards in the future. Catch yas