Hi.

I'm just wondering about a good, minimum wattage recommendation for a guitar head when one's playing with a band. Assume the drummer is going to be the hardest-hitting, loudest ever. I want to use what speakers I have here already. I have, loose and already in cabinets, 8 ohm full-range JBLs, some 12" G125s, and a single 15" G135. I'm a cabinet maker so I can make pretty much whatever's called for if I don't have it already. They're all rated for 200 watts. I'm figuring on using a single speaker.

Note: If it'll help, I like the blaring sound of a Fender Twin Reverb cranked way up, something like Steve Jones' sound when he was in the Sex Pistols. I have a Twin but it's just way too loud for most purposes. Give me a wattage for tubes all on their own and for solid state with a good pedal/tube preamp/etc. Also, I'm pretty tight for cash now so I can't go high dollar.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by woad_yurt at Mar 21, 2012,
I'd say 30 tube is the minimum.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah like the guy above me said, like 30-40watts tube. A solid state, I would say 100watts, so it doesn't sound as bad when its cranked. 75w solid state kinda' sounds crappy when their cranked with a drummer.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Put some JJ 6V6 tubes in your Twin. That will give you that cranked Twin sound at lower volumes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Cathbard's idea is a good one. For tube, if you want breakup, I would say 30, like the others.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
About the tubes:

Right now the amp (135 watts) has two tubes yanked so it's already at half power and is playing through a single G125. Even like that, the thing is incredibly loud, like, overwhelmigly so. It does get the sound I love but it's just too much volume if you're at all in the vicinity. It hurts, for real. At how much lower of a volume can I get "the sound" with a simple tube swap?

Cathbard:

I clicked on your link. I am very impressed; your stuff is extremely cool. My compliments!
The 6v6 tubes break up a lot sooner on the dial than your standard 6l6 GC, but understand, even a 30 watt amp is going to be loud if you want power tube distortion. I would say that if you ran the two 6v6 tubes, it would get it to the point where your ears weren't bleeding, but it would still be very loud.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by woad_yurt
About the tubes:

Right now the amp (135 watts) has two tubes yanked so it's already at half power and is playing through a single G125. Even like that, the thing is incredibly loud, like, overwhelmigly so. It does get the sound I love but it's just too much volume if you're at all in the vicinity. It hurts, for real. At how much lower of a volume can I get "the sound" with a simple tube swap?

Cathbard:

I clicked on your link. I am very impressed; your stuff is extremely cool. My compliments!

Thanks.

Running two 6V6's will still be loud but for the same breakup it will be substantially quieter than your 6L6's. Seeing as how a pair of 6V6's will set you back only about $30 it's worth a try don't you think?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it depends on the amp and what youre playing. 7 watts has proved to be more than enough for me in a band situation
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Those cost near $2000! I said that money was tight.

I floated a trade offer on Craigslist to see what pops up. I am near Nashville so maybe there's someone out there who wants clean, clean, clean.
I have a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18. I've played with a band with it on the 5 watt setting and I was more than loud enough.
Its not just about the wattage, the sensitivity of the speaker plays a role as well. A lower sensitivity speaker won't be as loud, thus you can crank the amp that much more. 6v6 tubes and a lower sensitivity speaker could probably get the twin to where you want it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
From experience, the wattage isn't that big of a deal - the speaker set up is. If you really have a beastly drummer (not a drummer you just *think* is beastly), it's really helpful to have speaker pointed up, projecting out towards your ears. A little thing on the ground won't cut it.

That said I would never consider playing with anything less than 50W.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I called Doug's Tubes and asked him if tube swapping would get me where I want to be and he said that I need about half the wattage I have now, like around 30 or so. He was pretty cool. He didn't try to sell me something. He's a straight shooter.

I guess it's amp swap time. If there's anyone near Nashville on here, I know where you can get a nice old Fender....
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Maz 18 Jr. will for sure...

The loudest 18 watt amp you will ever play.

have you tried a budda superdrive II 18 watter?

obnoxiously loud 18 watt amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I just tried something and I feel like a bonehead for not thinking of it before.

I have an old Altec 100 watt solid state movie theater amp. It needed a preamp so I mail-oirdered a cheap-o Behringer tube job. For the last few days, it's been sitting there hooked up to the Altec. I ran it through the Fender just now and it sounded pretty freakin' good without the ultra-volume. It also helped to turn the treble way down. That JBL can hurt with the highs. The preamp has a ton of settings. I'm gonna have to fiddle with them a bit. I'm sorry I wasted everyone's time with this. Man....
Quote by woad_yurt
I called Doug's Tubes and asked him if tube swapping would get me where I want to be and he said that I need about half the wattage I have now, like around 30 or so. He was pretty cool. He didn't try to sell me something. He's a straight shooter.

I guess it's amp swap time. If there's anyone near Nashville on here, I know where you can get a nice old Fender....

It looks like you've got it sorted but I want to give a couple of +1 shout outs.

+1 to Doug at dougstubes.com . Great guy and yes he is a strait shooter who lets his reputation in the industry be his number one selling point. If you do decide to give some JJ's a shot give Doug a shout first.

+1 to CECamps. That is his UG handle. Him name is Craig and he has a similar work ethic to Doug. He recently moved to Nashville and builds phenomenal amps. I'm not saying he can build you something better than what you have now but he knows the Nashville amp market real well and is participating in Summer NAMM.

That is all.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 22, 2012,
Swapping 6L6's for 6V6's is an old trick that does precisely what you are trying to achieve. The JJ 6V6's can handle really high plate voltages so they are perfect for the job. Like I said, it will cost you a mere $30 to try it. They'll even work ok without a rebias normally. I'd check it anyway but most times you can get away with simple plug and play.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=21
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 21, 2012,
I have a 65 watt solid state with a 4x12 extension cab that keeps up with a full band unmiced. It keeps up without the 4x12 in fact.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by woad_yurt
About the tubes:

I had a hot rod deluxe which I wasn't impressed with at all. That being said, after I replaced the missing power tube with a matched set of JJ's, I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. An amp short tubes will still work, but it won't sound nearly as good going without its full compliment.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Quote by bpdeem
I had a hot rod deluxe which I wasn't impressed with at all. That being said, after I replaced the missing power tube with a matched set of JJ's, I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. An amp short tubes will still work, but it won't sound nearly as good going without its full compliment.

If you had one tube missing that's pretty different from pulling two outer tubes. Pulling outer tubes is safe, pulling one random tube is not safe. I'm kind of confused as to how your amp even ran short one tube.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Some time later:

I love extra tube preamps! What a deal. $40 solved my issue. The one I got is a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200. Someday I'll put a decent tube in it and see how that goes. But for now, I'm all set. Goodbye fizzy distortion and gain pedals! This thing is cool. I wonder what an upscale one is like....
Last edited by woad_yurt at Mar 26, 2012,