My band is going to be kicking out our bassist sometime in the near future. This is already decided amongst everyone else in the band (there's really no chance to salvage this) but he's not really a friend so we don't need to worry about babying him about it and whatnot.

Anyway. We have a few prospects for our bassist right now, but one idea I came up with was to have one of my friends who loves our band and plays keyboard to come in and play keyboard with a bass effect on it. He's interested and so are the other band members. He's good, an awesome guy, and I think he could fit.

Problem is, by mid April all of us will be 18, but he is only 15 or 16, can't remember.

Is this a deal breaker? We want to play shows that aren't at our youth center, and maybe play bars or specific places that aren't bars but still allow bands to play. What's the general rule on this? My friend's band has been playing gigs and bars all over the place in my state since last september, but their drummer (my friend) is only 17. Everyone else is 18.

Should we not consider this since he's not 18? Help please.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Depends how cool his parents are with you guys possibly playing bars and clubs, etc... Being a minor, you guys could get in some serious shit if his parents find out you've been dragging their son to those kinds of places without their OK.

You also have to research whether or not he can even get into some of these venues. Some places are 18+ or 21+ only, and they may not make exceptions for hired talent.

As for his age, I think I remember reading recently that the original drummer from Chevelle was only like 16 when they started doing serious touring.... or maybe it was the bass player... I forget. Anyway, it really depends on his maturity, etc, as far as whether or not it'll work out.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Well considering you are all still under 21 (assuming US), your still underage. Not really a deal breaker or anything, you likely would only be able to get the all age gigs anyway, so go for it.

Venue/bar owners are sometimes stingy about bringing in younger bands. They're making their money off of alcohol, if you are all 18 and younger, how many people are going to be coming that are drinking?
Quote by jpatan

As for his age, I think I remember reading recently that the original drummer from Chevelle was only like 16 when they started doing serious touring.... or maybe it was the bass player... I forget. Anyway, it really depends on his maturity, etc, as far as whether or not it'll work out.

Though Chevelle was likely not playing menu venues and bars, they were playing actual music halls/venues.

If there's one young member it's fine, but from a business prospective owners want bands that are at least 21, they're drawing people of a similar age and they make most of their money off alcohol. They're not making anything if you have a bunch of 16-18 year olds playing, because no one can drink.

They're lucky to break even at the end of the night. That's also why you'll see most younger bands playing during the week, which in turn hinders their ability to bring people out simply because of school nights for most kids, but the venue will at least break even for the night on a less that modest draw. They get bands that can bring in the age group that will drink on the weekends.
Yeah a lot of the all ages shows will have a cover for anyone under 21, so it helps offset the loss of alcohol sales. At least I remember most of the places I went to before I was 21 having cover for anyone underage... but that was like... a while ago
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
We will just have to contact some venues it seems. And of course we'd make sure it was fine with his parents. His parents happen to be Dutch and very lax on the whole alcohol thing, so I dunno if they'd have that big of an issue with him in bars.

Some gig places we know aren't even bars, they're just venues for bands to play. We probably won't be playing a ton of bars or anything anyway, but we'll take what we can get.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
It was Chevelle's bassist Joe. He was around 14 or 15 when they started gigging heavily at places like the Metro and such. He was only around 18 or 19 when they were signed too...
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Why is playing bar's so special?
A large portion of music fans is under 18 and you'd lose heaps of fans showing up if it werent all ages..

And more importantly: Keyboard with a bass effect?
I don't think anything beats a real bass guitarist. 31+" of string you can slap around and whatnot.
If your looking for him as a keyboard player, go for it.
But you still need a guy who can play those 4 bottom end strings of wonder.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Why is playing bar's so special?

It isn't.

But other than the youth center in our town, where come April 14th we will have played 3 times, there aren't many other venues to play at other than bars. We're a metalcore band too, so that needs to be taken into account.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
It isn't.

But other than the youth center in our town, where come April 14th we will have played 3 times, there aren't many other venues to play at other than bars. We're a metalcore band too, so that needs to be taken into account.

Just limits you even more unfortunately, putting on "metal" nights and organizing things yourself works wonders for less mainstream genres. You just have to sell the idea to the owner, whoever/where ever that is.

To the other poster, bars are special because that's where people hang out to drink, I'm not talking biker bars/sports bars with a bunch of 40+ year old people. I live in a college town and there are about 10 main bars in a conjunction called 5 points here in SC, they are literally packed with a few hundred people each every night of the week during the school year. You are playing to people your own age.
Quote by thePTOD
It isn't.

Where are you from abouts? you cant tell me that theres no other hardcore/metalcore bands around that a bigger than you? look into their shows see where they are held and contact the booking company.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
I know a lot of places will make your have to come with your parents if you are under 18. Other than that if you are 21 most places will just make you stay outside the bar until it is time for your set.