Basically I'm talking about the power chord shapes without the fifth, i.e.

|--------------|
|--------------|
|-----5-------|
|-----x-------|
|-----3-------|
|--------------|

It's used in a lot of riffs and I can play them fine by using my index finger to mute the D string by turning it onto its side and also slightly pulling the A string down as I fret it so my index finger touches on the D. The problem is that when I slide the shape up and down for faster transitions (especially in the intro for some songs) the D string just randomly goes off every so often - I think just after I switch frets). It only happens occasionally but enough to be irritating. Could my technique be to blame?

Nick
Ibanez GRG170DX
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Last edited by kaoticnick at Mar 21, 2012,
Practice makes perfect. Not quite sure why you have to bend the string to mute it though, just flatten your finger more.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Yeah, you shouldn't need to bend the A string at all. Lay your index finger across the string as if you were playing a barre chord except only apply pressure on the A string.
That is the wonkiest fingering job I've ever seen.

What I do is, I have my finger fretting the A string like always, but I flatten it just a smidge, like it's trying for a fourth double stop, but it's just resting on the top of the string. That way, I get the lower note, a muted D string, and no random noises. Works like a charm.
Your technique absolutely to blame. Switching octaves cleanly can be tough, especially with lots of gain, so it's really important to master laying your index finger across the d string to mute it but not enough to fret a note or ring a harmonic.
I play octaves exactly the way i play power chords: with the index, ring and little fingers.
I use my index finger to play the 3, my ring finger to mute the D string, and the little finger to play the 5.

I know most people play power chords with the index and ring fingers alone, but i find that my "one note - one finger" method (in power chords and octaves, of course) allows me to play much more cleanly and smoothly.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by madh4ttr
since when did that become a double stop??

A double stop is the action of playing 2 notes simultaneously. I know it's usually for a root and its 4th but it applies here too.
ive NEVER heard the octaves referred to as double stops
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Also, if you can, mute the 6th string (your low E) with the edge of your index, if you can. It'll let you strum them harder.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I think the best way to clean it up is just use the pad of your index finger for the low note, and then rest it against all the other strings, without them ringing and then using your ring or pinky finger to get the upper note. this way, all the strings are muted. after a bit of time, you will probably get comfortable enough to even use your middle finger and pinky for octave phrases, which I always find a bit more comforting.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"