Hey everyone, I'm thinking of replacing my stock pickups in my Ibanez RG. The thing is I odnt know much abou the electronics of the huiar, pickups, gaer and such.

I need pickups that can handle wide arrays of sounds as I play anything from Death Metal, to Jazz, to Fusion, to Dream Pop.

Any good pickup recomendations?
what RG is it?
what's your amp?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
then i suggest saving for a better amp, or maybe a better guitar..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
then i suggest saving for a better amp, or maybe a better guitar..

That guitar is fine, it's more the amp that would be the limiting factor. There aren't many pickups that will do all those styles well. Unless you start putting in coil taps etc.. humbucking sounds won't cover all those genres.
And type so people can read it. You should get a Blackstar amp. Best pickups are Bareknuckles. Does your guitar have passive pickups?
I'd say - dimarzio d activators or a crunch lab liquifire set
seymour duncan - sh6/sh2 or sh6/sh1
but in both cases some split coil sounds would pull off jazz or fusion a lot better than full humbucking modes.
If i remember correctly the 5 way switch on the RGT series has a split coil selection at position 4, so you might not have to buy stacked push-pull pots
Last edited by gman128 at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
And type so people can read it. You should get a Blackstar amp. Best pickups are Bareknuckles. Does your guitar have passive pickups?

Yes, a $350-400 set of BKPs for a $600ish guitar?

Nothing really wrong with the vypyr 100w, won't show off new pickups like a mark v, but you will notice the difference. What kind of tone are you looking to change the most? Not a lot of pickups that are going to be the best at that many styles. Actually, the list is probably zero :P

The nice thing about the vypyr is the fact that you can tweak the eq and amp models however you like for each patch. Well that's if you're using a sanpera pedal.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
id agree with the crunchlab/liquifire set. those will probably be your best bet for a versatile pickup to hit as many of those styles as possible.
What amp are you playing it through?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."