Poll Options
View poll results: Vote
Goku was awesome as a father/husband
21 17%
Goku wasn't BAD, but also wasn't very good, either
20 16%
Goku was a shitty father/husband
13 10%
He was shitty, but he had more important shit to worry about like saving the universe
62 49%
Other
10 8%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
So I always like to go back and watch stuff I watched as a kid for nostalgia, plus it's cool catching things you never caught or weren't mature enough to as a kid. So lately, I've been going back and watching Dragon Ball Z.

Everyone loves Goku. He was voted the #1 anime character by IGN, and he's one of the most popular. But there is one big criticism I've noticed people make about his character.

I gotta agree with what a lot of people say about him; this guy just does not give a fuck about his family. When you get into the later episodes, even Vegeta shows more love and care for his family than Goku. I mean, in the early episodes he was alright, but later he just doesn't seem like a good father, and a worse husband. Plus he also doesn't seem to give much of a shit about his friends unless their lives are at risk.

TL;DR: Do you/Did you think Goku is a bad father/husband?

Also note: Thread is obviously for people who have watched DB in the past.
Last edited by The Madcap at Mar 21, 2012,
What..

What the **** kind of thread is this?

EDIT: Where is the 'You Suck' poll option?
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 21, 2012,
Hard to be a good dad when you're saving the human race.

What kind of father would Jesus have been?

Didn't think about that, clearly.
Quote by blake1221
Hard to be a good dad when you're saving the human race.

What kind of father would Jesus have been?

Didn't think about that, clearly.

Jesus was his own father. Pretty craycray.
Best father he could have been, given the circumstances. I mean, he could have stayed and spent more time with Chi-chi and Gohan, sure - but then the various ills that assailed the Dragon Ball world would have killed them anyway.
Quote by The Madcap
unless their lives are at risk.

I wouldn't mind having a friend that never looked after me or wanted to hang out but consistently saved my life.

He was a good father, He spent a year straight with gohan in that time warp place (I remember the story line but not the names and such) lots of father son bonding going on there.

I see where you're coming from he was fairly absent and never seem to consider the ramifications of his death on his family when risking his life.

By earth standards he wouldn't win a custody battle but he had the power (and was arguable the only one with the power) to save the world and that had to be his main concern of saving millions against looking after family. You could argue that he set a good example for Gohan.
SMILE!
He seemed to get worse as the series went on. During the Saiyan and Cell sagas, his training seemed to be motivated by his love and worry for his family (getting Gohan back, training with Gohan in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber before the Cell Games) but in the Buu saga, he just seemed to only want to better himself. Screw being there for his kids, he just wanted to get stronger and on the one day he had to spend on Earth, he barely spent any time with his family.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
I think it's because Goku's not very bright. Also, he is a saiyan.
Quote by vayne92
What..

Cry moar.
ggg1 ggg3

To be fair the dude has died like 4 times and knows that if they die he'll chill with them in the otherworld.

But, he's pretty cool with his kids and cares for his friends. It's just Chi-Chi he's very blazé with. Hell she's the same way with him, after fighting Vegeta in the Saiyan saga she completely ignores her husband who she hasn't seen for a year and he's in a full body cast. DAFUQ?
I never watched dragon ball z, it looked shit. The chuckle brothers were far superior
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by neidnarb11890
Jesus was his own father. Pretty craycray.

Dude, that's totally true.

So, was He good to Himself?
Quote by frankv
No wonder Chi Chi's always so pissed off.

I doubt I could stand watching DBZ again and haven't watched it in years, so I can't recall what this is based on. Examples? Or was it in GT?
Well, some examples I don't agree with, but:

Last episode of DBZ: Martial arts tournament. Goku meets a guy and decides to move to his village to train him. Says goodbye to his whole family and promises to visit every now and then. Last thing he says is "I'm glad you guys understand" and Gohan says "But we don't understand."

Last episode of GT: He leaves all his family and friends for good to go train with Shenron.

A bunch of times he had gohan in very dangerous situations (Flying to Namek to help fight Frieza, having Gohan fight Cell alone, etc.)

End of DBZ at Martials Arts Tournaments, his friends our upset because he hasn't contacted them in 5 years, even though they had get togethers.

Little small scenes where he takes Chi Chi for greaned with domestic shit like groceries, cooking, etc.
Quote by blake1221
Dude, that's totally true.

So, was He good to Himself?

Good question, bro.
Quote by The Madcap

Last episode of DBZ: Martial arts tournament. Goku meets a guy and decides to move to his village to train him. Says goodbye to his whole family and promises to visit every now and then. Last thing he says is "I'm glad you guys understand" and Gohan says "But we don't understand."

Last episode of GT: He leaves all his family and friends for good to go train with Shenron.

A bunch of times he had gohan in very dangerous situations (Flying to Namek to help fight Frieza, having Gohan fight Cell alone, etc.)

End of DBZ at Martials Arts Tournaments, his friends our upset because he hasn't contacted them in 5 years, even though they had get togethers.

Little small scenes where he takes Chi Chi for greaned with domestic shit like groceries, cooking, etc.

Really good points there
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
DragonBall(Z) was (is) awful (terrible).
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
He has an obligation to protecting the universe that is more important than his role as a father and husband. He has been put in a unique situation where he has to sacrifice his personal desires in order to ensure that the universe remains safe from evil. In other words, he has to detach himself from the transient, worldly things in the world that are the cause of suffering (i.e. his wife and his son) in order to achieve something greater. Buddhism 101, son.
Quote by metaldud536
I only paid attention to his ass kicking skills not his parental skills.

This.
Goku was basically an orhpan and killed his adoptive parent. When he first meets one of his only living relatives the dude's a complete dick. It's not like Goku had a healthy concept of what a family is, or what it is to be a father.
I'd say he was a good friend and father, but definitely not a good husband.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Voted "other". Now I got to find out who this Goku is...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by MakinLattes
Goku was basically an orhpan and killed his adoptive parent. When he first meets one of his only living relatives the dude's a complete dick. It's not like Goku had a healthy concept of what a family is, or what it is to be a father.

Psychoanalysis of Goku coming up next? Let's do this.
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Quote by StewieSwan
>Implying Goku has any real character traits

He's either hungry or angry.
The hell, have you never seen the second Star Trek movie? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

Also, during times of peace, he did nothing but spend time with his family, so Chi Chi can stop her bitchin now.
Quote by CoreysMonster
The hell, have you never seen the second Star Trek movie? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

Also, during times of peace, he did nothing but spend time with his family, so Chi Chi can stop her bitchin now.

*deep breath*
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Quote by jetfuel495
He's all, "nigga gotta save the world, fuk da kids" and his kids are all "dad i'll miss you" and he's all "lol too bad tell that mini-me on the way he's never gonna see me" and his wife is all "goku what about me" and he's all "make me rice"

****ing LOL

He's a good father and friend but I even remember when I was young, I thought he was a bit shitty to chi chi and having watched a few episodes recently, I hold my opinion.
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
He was alright. Could have cared more, in my opinion.
Quote by vayne92
What..

Other.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by The Madcap

sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
I only really noticed this after watching DBZ abridged where they make it an obvious running joke.

When watching the anime the first time, I just went with it. He's the world's protector and like pretty much every other superhero story, he considered the needs of the many ahead of the needs of the few.

I haven't watched Dragonball, but I assume that Chi-Chi is ok with the absence because she was sort of involved in that world herself.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
That's like saying Vegeta would be a bad person to know because he's not very friendly. It's just not Goku's personality; his innocence, relaxed nature and desire to better himself just make it an odd fit. Plus his character development furthers that as he learns more about life - he moves more and more into the role of a protector, and he's aware of that.

Though, the bolded here:
Quote by The Madcap

Irked me. GT was shit, so that doesn't count; he's always been relaxed about letting Gohan do whatever, instead of acting like a hover parent; the Cell Games was a lapse in judgement (Piccolo explains it - it's actually one of my favourite bits of dialogue in the series, it's about 4 minutes into episode 168); and that's just his relationship with Chi Chi, sexist as it is.

Quote by shavorules42
He seemed to get worse as the series went on. During the Saiyan and Cell sagas, his training seemed to be motivated by his love and worry for his family (getting Gohan back, training with Gohan in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber before the Cell Games) but in the Buu saga, he just seemed to only want to better himself. Screw being there for his kids, he just wanted to get stronger and on the one day he had to spend on Earth, he barely spent any time with his family.

Uh... there was that whole "most powerful guy ever being released" thing.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Don't you run your whore mouth about Goku, he died and came back to life more times that jesus, JESUS!!! Just to save the world!

Think about THAT for a moment!
Last edited by VillainousLatin at Mar 21, 2012,
Page 1 of 2